Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mustang 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

What car is that?
    Imperial or US mpg?
    Driving style?

I can get my golf to show 15 mpg-64mpg on the trip for highway driving.
    It's been reported by many v8 drivers on the highway that above 20 is easily doable.

Hell even my old GMC v8 would do 22-23 on a highway run and that had the aero properties of a brick.

R.O.R wrote: »
    How much more would you pay for the lazy V8 burble, over the EcoBoost whine?

Whatever the price was.
    If I was considering a mustang, I wouldn't get a 4-pot.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Follows the experience I had with a muscle car over the in US, I did over 6000 miles in one and a lot of it on the motorways. It did **** MPG no matter how you drove it.
    Define ****?
    Highway driving my pickup truck would regularly do 20-23 mpg. It dropped to sub 12 around town. But on the highway with cruise control on it went over 20 normally.
    And that's not **** imo for a brick with a v8. I doubt modern (my pickup was a 98) yank v8's are better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What car is that?
    Imperial or US mpg?
    Driving style?

I can get my golf to show 15 mpg-64mpg on the trip for highway driving.
    It's been reported by many v8 drivers on the highway that above 20 is easily doable.

Hell even my old GMC v8 would do 22-23 on a highway run and that had the aero properties of a brick.

It's a Camaro presumably on US measures.

As I mentioned before I used to get a steady 15 mpg motorway @ 80 mph from the Trans Am and that was in an engine designed in the 70s mated to a three speed box.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    It's a Camaro presumably on US measures.

As I mentioned before I used to get a steady 15 mpg motorway @ 80 mph from the Trans Am and that was in an engine designed in the 70s mated to a three speed box.

15mpg at 80 would probably put it near 20-22 at 55-60mph. That's actually quite good for what it is. Surprisingly so in fact.
    OSI wrote: »
    Yep, it's a Camaro SS on US MPG. It spent most of it's sleeping in a gated white community and travelling to tourist spots, so the roads were naturally crawling with cops meaning it got a very civilised drive for the majority of it's time. At $3.30 a gallon it cost the best part of $60 to do 300 miles.

I find it difficult to believe. However 15 us MPG would be what, ~20 imperial?
    Anyway MPG isnt the point of these cars either way. :cool:

Then you have much better faith in my photoshop skills than I do.

Not saying it's photoshopped, maybe you got a bad 'un, maybe you were enjoying driving it and the mpg dropped as a result, maybe its due to us v imperial MPG.
    I just find it difficult to believe that a modern car does similar/worse mpg than a 98 GMC pickup when driven in similar fashion.

Driving from kildare to dublin to kilbeggan and back last year for instance, I got 22mpg (and that included some fun, burnouts, flooring it, etc, so not all highway either)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

But is that 5mpg worth taking a euro econo-engine over a nice lazy v8?
    No.

315bhp is not to be sneezed at.

The 2.3T will be expensive enough.

315bhp is not to be sneezed at.

The 2.3T will be expensive enough.

Indeed.
    But it's not all about bhp.
    I'd kick myself for buying a econo-stang especially if someone pulled up at the lights in the fully fledged v8

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Indeed.
    But it's not all about bhp.
    I'd kick myself for buying a econo-stang especially if someone pulled up at the lights in the fully fledged v8

If I had the cash to buy and run a new V8 Mustang I'd do so and would hopefully be happy.

If my wallet only allowed me own and run a new 2.3T 315bhp Mustang however I don't think I'd feellike a pauper even if I met my alter ego in his V8 at a traffic light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If te US car is costing circa €22k for the eco boost and Irish prices are going to be twice that? Wouldn't it make sense to import? Or would they be charging vrt of 20k to prevent this? A LHD wouldn't bother me.

Sure, it could be possible to buy a RHD in the USA from factory......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

ye, tis exactly. you get fair chance pulling next to V8 at traffic light here on island. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

ye, tis exactly. you get fair chance pulling next to V8 at traffic light here on island. lol

If I had the cash to buy and run a new V8 Mustang I'd do so and would hopefully be happy.

If my wallet only allowed me own and run a new 2.3T 315bhp Mustang however I don't think I'd feellike a pauper even if I met my alter ego in his V8 at a traffic light.

Nice ninja edit.
    I saw your original post which was a great indictment of your attitude.
    To answer the question you originally posed: Considering I've spent nearly 50k in the past two years on buying cars (biggest two purchases were north of 30k combined) I could buy one if I chose to. However I do a lot of miles, over 500 a week and it would be madness putting that on a new 'stang.

Also I wouldn't like to have more money tied up in cars. Even at the moment I'm over 25k into the yokes in the yard.

That's fair enough, as it's your choice.

What's puzzling is this V8 good/2.3T bad stuff. It's not as if you own one, or are likely own one.

It's highly unlikely you've driven either too.

That's fair enough, as it's your choice.

What's puzzling is this V8 good/2.3T bad stuff. It's not as if you own one, or are likely own one.

It's highly unlikely you've driven either too.

I don't understand why it's puzzling.
    I've owned two american v8s, and driven many more. I've driven a mustang (albeit an early '00 model). The one I drove was a v8 'stang aswell.

I doubt anyone in Ireland outside of a few lucky/important people have driven one of the new generation models. A 4 cylinder american car is not interesting to me at all. I like the cars of late '60s and early '70s with the lazy burbling v8 rumble. Or at worst 6 pot and "economy". My current v8 mopar is a great example of that :cool: But a v8 is a must. We can get economical 4 cylinder fords over here!

You have said this before to me "or are likely to own one". Why am I not likely to own one? How do you know what I'm going to do today, tomorrow, next week, next month etc? That to me is a silly comment.

I don't understand why it's puzzling.
    I've owned two american v8s, and driven many more. I've driven a mustang (albeit an early '00 model). The one I drove was a v8 'stang aswell.

I doubt anyone in Ireland outside of a few lucky/important people have driven one of the new generation models. A 4 cylinder american car is not interesting to me at all. I like the cars of late '60s and early '70s with the lazy burbling v8 rumble. Or at worst 6 pot and "economy". My current v8 mopar is a great example of that :cool: But a v8 is a must. We can get economical 4 cylinder fords over here!

You have said this before to me "or are likely to own one". Why am I not likely to own one? How do you know what I'm going to do today, tomorrow, next week, next month etc? That to me is a silly comment.

Well let's see......other V8's and experience of a '00 Mustang. Hardly relevant is it? We all know that all other things being the same a V8 is desirable.

You've no experience of the new 2.3T engine either (nor have I) so it's simply not fair to dismiss it nor decribe it as you have. Ireland is a largely 4 cylinder market after all, with minimal numbers of 6's around - V8's are rarer still. We have no muscle or pony car tradition.

You did mention that doing the mileage you do wouldn't make sense on a new Mustang. So whilst it's possible you'll buy one sometime it's not on the cards now.

What's amusing is folk setting themselves up as "experts" on a car they've never seen, let alone driven or owned.

Well let's see......other V8's and experience of a '00 Mustang. Hardly relevant is it? We all know that all other things being the same a V8 is desirable.

You've no experience of the new 2.3T engine either (nor have I) so it's simply not fair to dismiss it nor decribe it as you have. Ireland is a largely 4 cylinder market after all, with minimal numbers of 6's around - V8's are rarer still. We have no muscle or pony car tradition.

You did mention that doing the mileage you do wouldn't make sense on a new Mustang. So whilst it's possible you'll buy one sometime it's not on the cards now.

What's amusing is folk setting themselves up as "experts" on a car they've never seen, let alone driven or owned.
    And yet others still who have not owned seen or driven, yet able to post on the subject with an opinion to the contrary of mine.

Also, where have I once set myself as an "expert".
    I never claimed to be an expert. I'm a guy who likes most things american when it comes to motoring. Finito.

You on the other hand are becoming an expert at explaining why I'm wrong in your opinion but yet you are correct regarding a car neither of us have driven (or owned)

This should be a great thread, celebrating the moment that a proper american icon is available to buy in our silly chape tax obsessed little country, but you are distracting from that but explaining why I'm somehow wrong for wanting the proper icon with the correct number of cylinders.

I think my point should be quite clear, so I won't bother engaging with you further here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Yep, it's a Camaro SS on US MPG. It spent most of it's sleeping in a gated white community and travelling to tourist spots, so the roads were naturally crawling with cops meaning it got a very civilised drive for the majority of it's time. At $3.30 a gallon it cost the best part of $60 to do 300 miles.

Is that the 6.2 liter?

300 miles for 52 Euro. That's cheaper than running my 1.6 sh1t box over here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

I'd like to back Henry ford on this one. It's hardly fair to categorically dismiss the 4 pot engine without having owned or even driven one. That's the kind of car snobbery that makes people spend stupid money on brand new cars just to have the number plate or buy some really low spec 'expensive' car.

If we always stick to the "old ideas" of how a car should be then there will be no progression or innovation as times move on. A car is more than an engine and if nobody buys a car because it isn't "old school" authentic and they can't afford to run a 5.0 V8 then the car will obviously die out because nobody will buy it. Which is worse? I mean they've hardly ruined it by putting in a technologically advanced engine to move along with the times which stil has 310bhp. By that same token is it ruining a mustang by putting in a large screen with built in sat nav because they never had those back in the day of the classic mustang? Cars need to innovate and progress with the times and I think they've done a really great job on maintaining the classic mustang look while making it a modern car.

I respect what you're saying about the engine etc. but people take different things out of cars. For you the engine is clearly a big deal. For me it's the look and style of the car and not so much the burble at a traffic light from a v8. You can buy the V8 if you like and I'll buy the 4 pot so it caters for both our needs. Who's wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well if you buy the V8, you'll be getting this noise, whereas the piddly little four cylinder sounds like this. Not bad for a four cylinder admittedly, but obviously the noise is fake, and it still sounds nowhere near as nice as the V8 - nor does it sound like a pony car should.

Well if you buy the V8, you'll be getting this noise, whereas the piddly little four cylinder sounds like this. Not bad for a four cylinder admittedly, but obviously the noise is fake, and it still sounds nowhere near as nice as the V8 - nor does it sound like a pony car should.

I probably wouldn't be able to hear the engine anyway from the modern 9 speaker system blaring out music Which is installed in the classic American car.

Well if you buy the V8, you'll be getting this noise, whereas the piddly little four cylinder sounds like this.

There's actually not that much between them imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I wonder what the interior build quality will be like. Would be very disappointing to spend €50,000-€60,000 on one and end up with a Focus quality interior. Cheap plastics really annoy me.

I think my point should be quite clear, so I won't bother engaging with you further here.

You're right, I'm wrong. End of discussion.

Great argument there. I was expecting more power, thrust, confidence behind your viewpoint. Pity you settled for the ecoboost argument whereas I went for the fully fledged v8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is it me or are there more and more threads in the motors section that are becoming ruined more often?

bear1 wrote: »
    Is it me or are there more and more threads in the motors section that are becoming ruined more often?
    Certainly it's not just you. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Clicked through four pages looking for discussion and information on this car, and three of the pages were total nonsense : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah, complete clan of messers if you ask me.

Yeah, complete clan of messers if you ask me.

No offence but while although there was a bit of bickering going on, at least it was based on the actual thread topic which is the ford mustang and a debate around engine sizes.

Three recent posts have had nothing to do with that topic and add a complete negative value to the thread. Maybe start a new thread complaining about the quality of comments instead of wading in on this one.

The car has not been released yet however there has been good information coming in regarding UK release date. R.O.R. has also had good info on the situation with the Irish release date etc. It hasn't happened yet so in the interim period between new information becoming available what's wrong with debating the type of engine that best suits the car and peoples preference?

I'm sure when the ford.ie website updates and prices are released there will be further discussion about the prices and value etc. but until then..

• Advertisement

the piddly little four cylinder.

Captain, that engine has 300-odd horsepower. Has you car got more than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

In order to not upset the Mustang enthusiasts by putting in a 4-pot, maybe Ford could have branded it as a new Ford Puma.

For me, a Puma badge instead of a Mustang one wouldn't overly bother me as long as I liked the car. This shouldn't be a problem for the V8 enthusiasts as they can still get the roar that they want but might cause a problem for people only interested in the badge.

It would be a shame in a way but if Mustangs were only available with V8s they'd all but die out anyway and by developing a 4-pot version, anyone who gets one will seemingly just get belittled for getting the wrong one or only being interested in the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

In order to not upset the Mustang enthusiasts by putting in a 4-pot, maybe Ford could have branded it as a new Ford Puma.
    The Mustang was never just a V8 though, so there's no reason not to brand a 4-pot as a Mustang.

The Mustang was never just a V8 though, so there's no reason not to brand a 4-pot as a Mustang.

As mentioned earlier there was always a cheap 6 cylinder for someone who just wanted the badge and a bevvy of v8 options for those that wanted a v8 to go with the badge.

You wouldn't think that reading this thread though.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Equipment is as per the UK specifications. Pricing held up for Ireland, but hoping to have it available before the weekend, and I've been sworn to secrecy on any further info.

Any update on this one? nothing on the website at all this morning. How long are you sworn to secrecy for?:D

I reckon he's been tied up and bundled into the amply sized boot of a new Mustang.

I reckon he's been tied up and bundled into the amply sized boot of a new Mustang.

:D:D:D:D

The question is whether he'd rather be kidnapped in a V8 or 2.3T :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Probably the V8, better to drown out his screams.

Cue the debate, which engine is better in a kidnapping car?

Aenaes wrote: »
    Probably the V8, better to drown out his screams.

Cue the debate, which engine is better in a kidnapping car?

Challenge accepted. :cool:

The V8 will also draw more heat on the kidnapper. ;)

*Trying to be discreet but...must...make...it...ROAR!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I think of it more as a Nissan 200sx then a Mustang. RWD coupe 4 pot Turbo probably to cheap to drift and crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Get over to www.ford.ie Now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

46k against a similarly powered Golf for example isn't all that outlandish tbh.

Big step up to the V8,16k extra is a lot of money. But I'm sure half the posters giving out about the 2.3 will be placing their orders as we speak:pac:

I like the configutator on ford's mobile site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

The co2 emissions for the ecoboost is not bad either 179 = €750 road tax only €180 more than a Golf R yea my granny drives a golf :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Big step up to the V8,16k extra is a lot of money. But I'm sure half the posters giving out about the 2.3 will be placing their orders as we speak

E2350 on a car that that costs E62,000?! its one thing if you are getting some 100k or 200k car for that, its not just the annual tax, its what its going to do to the depreciation...

If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd look at getting a classic V8 mustang...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wouldn't we all but without a fair bit of modification they're not that driveable as a daily.

noelf wrote: »
    The co2 emissions for the ecoboost is not bad either 179 = €750 road tax (

I know you're making a fair point, noelf, but to me that just once again highlights our fukked up Motor Tax system.

There's nothing "not bad" about having to pay 750 quid tax a year for a car which isn't all that big (2.3)

€3k more for the automatic, yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Order just placed for the 1.5 TDCi.... :pac:

• Advertisement

Order placed for the hybrid ecoboost 0.9 2 cylinder paddy special.

Advertisement