Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F'ing spoilers on Wiki!

• 12-09-2014 8:01am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was having a look on Wikipedia at the cast lineup of Broadchurch, the murder mystery that was well received last year, I'm only getting around to it now.
    So, down I go, through the page, careful not to bump into the plot section, reading down through the characters and cast members and that's when it happened.
    Whoever the complete numpty was who updated/edited the page sticks the identity of the killer in with their description!
    Feck!
    What's the ruddy point in watching it if everytime the person pops up onscreen I'm going to know it was them that did it?!
    And, unless they make sweeping alterations to the US version Gracepoint, there'll be little reason to watch that either!

Not impressed Wikipedia, damn you!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was going to edit it out, but this comment is after the text in the editor:

<!--Per WP:SPOILER, this content should not be removed. Wikipedia is not censored.-->

There is a fine line between censorship and just being a dick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Who wrote that? Wiki or the contributor?

If there was some sort of rule for the synopsis at least it'd be good. Sometimes it gives the whole story and sometimes it's just an overview of what the series is about.

Out of curiosity I checked the wiki for Harper's Island which is another excellent, in my opinion, mystery show and the character descriptions give nothing away, though there is a Death Chart at the bottom to show who dies and who the killer is.

Now, I just use wiki to see how many episodes are in a series, to see what was the last episode I saw or see the airdate of the next episode

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mr E wrote: »
    I was going to edit it out, but this comment is after the text in the editor:

<!--Per WP:SPOILER, this content should not be removed. Wikipedia is not censored.-->

There is a fine line between censorship and just being a dick...

Utter rubbish. All editing, by its very nature, is censorship and Wikipedia is founded on the principle of anyone being allowed to edit an article. Thankfully I haven't seen that page yet but I was planning on watcing Broadchurch soon and would surely have checked the cast list at some stage, so please do remove it.

They do actually encourage people being dicks by spoiling films and programs which is just... gnaaaagghhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Utter rubbish. All editing, by its very nature, is censorship and Wikipedia is founded on the principle of anyone being allowed to edit an article. Thankfully I haven't seen that page yet but I was planning on watcing Broadchurch soon and would surely have checked the cast list at some stage, so please do remove it.

They do actually encourage people being dicks by spoiling films and programs which is just... gnaaaagghhhh!

So they used to have spoiler sections until people started putting spoiler headings on all sorts of stuff. This is hilarious :D

"However, by 2007, some editors were also including spoiler warnings in articles about myths, folklore, fairy tales, and even biblical stories. After such a warning was added to the article about the Three Little Pigs, other editors took notice and began questioning the prolific and unrestricted use of the disclaimers"

Advertisement