Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunderland v Spurs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »
    Who was he up against last season for top scorer , soldado ?

Ade had a great chance yesterday at end of first half - few yards out and hit straight at keeper .a good finisher he is not

He has a goal scoring record of almost one in two for Arsenal, City, Real and Spurs.

Just luck and hard work I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Ormus wrote: »
    Some people watch enough football and still don't understand what they see.

Do people think Adebayor was our top scorer despite only playing half of last season because he's a good pro who makes up for lack of ability with a tireless work rate?

Adebayor scores goals because he's a good finisher. He doesn't get enough because he doesn't bother his arse on the pitch or in training.

Sense! It shows how light we are upfront when Adebayor is the top man.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

When looking at strikers people often look at their goals scored per games ratio without taking into account the value of goals.
    A striker could score a goal in a 2-1 defeat and it counts for nothing but a goal in a 2-1 victory has helped get 3 points.
    Ade scored some very important goals for us last season when the rest couldn't hit a barn door.
    And I'm sure he will do likewise again this season given time.

On a separate and I believe more important note I believe it is time we let Dembele anchor our midfield going forward.
    Please do not try to tell me that either Bentaleb or Paulinho deserve to be considered ahead of him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Painful result but we've seen it all before

Set piece disaster late in the game

Same old tottenham

We've won 7 of our last 10 games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

We've won 7 of our last 10 games

Pre season doesn't count

Pre season doesn't count

I didn't count it

I didn't count it

What ten games then and last season is totally irrelevant also obviously

What ten games then and last season is totally irrelevant also obviously

It might be a new manager but we have a lot of the same players that finished last season in good form and started this season in good form.

What's irrelevant is fans who start crying every time they realise we're not gonna win the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Only caught the highlights, defense was a shambles once again. Should of been out of sight in this game. Still I like what I saw for the most part. Fazio needs to start on Thursday, and put down a marker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

It might be a new manager but we have a lot of the same players that finished last season in good form and started this season in good form.

What's irrelevant is fans who start crying every time they realise we're not gonna win the league.

who on earth does this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Interesting stat. Stambouli played 20 minutes at the weekend and made the joint-most tackles (4) in the Spurs midfield...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/14/tottenham-hotspur-a-staggering-stambouli-stat-from-his-cameo-deb/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Do people not realise Adebayor was in bloody Togo for Int duty???

He only gets back on the Thursday Togo have worse facilities than a league 2 club ffs not his fault anyway shouldn't have conceded that stupid goal.

Can't wait for the almighty saviour Fazio to start and make a a mistake so everyone can whine about why we didn't buy Benatia or Hummels.

Do people not realise Adebayor was in bloody Togo for Int duty???

He only gets back on the Thursday Togo have worse facilities than a league 2 club ffs not his fault anyway shouldn't have conceded that stupid goal.

Can't wait for the almighty saviour Fazio to start and make a a mistake so everyone can whine about why we didn't buy Benatia or Hummels.

Togo has a one hour time difference , no jet lag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Togo has a one hour time difference , no jet lag

You can't seriously be basing jet lag off timezones.... Check the flight time, let me know if you've flown that long without getting jetlag and if you have, tell me your secret please..

irishmover wrote: »
    You can't seriously be basing jet lag off timezones.... Check the flight time, let me know if you've flown that long without getting jetlag and if you have, tell me your secret please..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

"which results from alterations to the body's circadian rhythms resulting from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east–west or west–east) travel on high-speed aircraft"

"The condition of jet lag may last several days until one is fully adjusted to the new time zone, and a recovery rate of one day per time zone crossed is a suggested guideline."

Time zone.....

At any rate - saturday wasnt about adebayour - it was about our inability to see out the game. Adebayour did however miss a sitter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_lag

"which results from alterations to the body's circadian rhythms resulting from rapid long-distance transmeridian (east–west or west–east) travel on high-speed aircraft"

"The condition of jet lag may last several days until one is fully adjusted to the new time zone, and a recovery rate of one day per time zone crossed is a suggested guideline."

Time zone.....

At any rate - saturday wasnt about adebayour - it was about our inability to see out the game. Adebayour did however miss a sitter

long-distance & transmeridian, if we're going to go by wiki here. i.e. both affect it. As I said, fly to Togo and let us know if you don't get jetlag.

Not saying Adebayor didn't play good enough because of jetlag, but he most likely did have jetlag. Two 9 hour flights in how many days? Even worse.

long-distance & transmeridian, if we're going to go by wiki here. i.e. both affect it. As I said, fly to Togo and let us know if you don't get jetlag.

Not saying Adebayor didn't play good enough because of jetlag, but he most likely did have jetlag. Two 9 hour flights in how many days? Even worse.

yeah look in fairness. im tired after a flight to london as i hate flying but if he was tired then kane should have started.

yeah look in fairness. im tired after a flight to london as i hate flying but if he was tired then kane should have started.

Shouldn't have started for sure.

Shouldn't have started for sure.

and adebayour didnt play badly actually

My issue was that we were totally dominant and then a terrible equaliser gets conceded. We didnt seem to have that fella that could rally the troops and see us over the line.

Harry saw this years ago and got scott parker to do the job - and he did it brilliantly for 1 season

It really was 2 points dropped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I think arguing about Adebayor is a moot point. If he didn't feel up to playing he would have said so.

As Mickman said, it's about seeing out the game.

I'm not going to jump on Poch's back, but when I saw Stambouli come on for Chadli I thought it was a poor decision. It's a very defensive decision and the players sub-consciously would have been thinking "OK, from here on in we're holding on". Sunderland dominated in the last 15 minutes and posed a real threat. Having two defensive midfielders on the pitch caused that.

I think a win would have papered over some cracks that need to be fixed. We scraped through against West Ham, beat a very poor QPR, got hammered by Liverpool and, if we had of won against Sunderland, we'd have 9 points from 4 games and think we were brilliant. When really it would have been another scraped victory.

and adebayour didnt play badly actually

My issue was that we were totally dominant and then a terrible equaliser gets conceded. We didnt seem to have that fella that could rally the troops and see us over the line.

Harry saw this years ago and got scott parker to do the job - and he did it brilliantly for 1 season

It really was 2 points dropped

We don't have a single player who fits that bill. I have no idea what Stambouli is like though.

We don't have a single player who fits that bill. I have no idea what Stambouli is like though.

indeed - one thing that was very good about Harry was that he made some very simple decisions that were very good ones i.e. when he said we lacked balance and leaders - it really was a simple as that

Window is shut now of course but a mature older player who has a history of wining would have been a nice addition - that bit of experience is actually invaluable to a new bunch of players ( or existing players with no medals)

We have had a very good start to the season except for home to the pool - will be interesting to see where we go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We are sitting pretty in 6th place lads. We are playing attractive football and all our games bar West ham have been very entertaining. That's everything DL and enic want and nothing more. If the season finished tomorrow, it would be seen as a success.

We are sitting pretty in 6th place lads. We are playing attractive football and all our games bar West ham have been very entertaining. That's everything DL and enic want and nothing more. If the season finished tomorrow, it would be seen as a success.

at home to pool was entertaining ? for pool fans maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I really think we should have signed one big name player to contend with Lamela/Eriksen/Chadli
    Eriksen is not the finished product yet,Townsend is crap and Lennon is only good when he has good players around him.
    Pretty bummed Poch loaned out Holtby could have atleast begged to bring Rafa back.

Advertisement