Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking in UCD Student Accommodation

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I smoked a cigarette beside an open window in my dorm on campus accommodation and about 20 minutes later an RA came to my door and said someone notified them about the smell. They took my name etc. and asked to have a look in my room, to which I said no.
    Does anyone know if I'll be disciplined for this in any way? What would I actually have to do to get fined or kicked out?
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

Smoking in campus accommodation is forbidden (and illegal) and taken very seriously - as is any use of illegal drugs. You will have been reported and will most likely be called for a disciplinary hearing with UCD Residences. This will give you an opportunity to either deny or confirm the report and action will be taken accordingly.

Can I ask why you refused to let them look at your room?

If you read your Licence to Reside it outlines what can and cannot be done in UCD Residences. If it is first offence and it was only a cigarette, then you will most likely get fined and given a warning. If it was something else then consequences may be worse. Nobody can tell you 100% what will happen as it is at the discretion of whoever is doing the disciplinary hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 oraghallaigh23

pacni wrote: »
    Smoking in campus accommodation is forbidden (and illegal) and taken very seriously - as is any use of illegal drugs. You will have been reported and will most likely be called for a disciplinary hearing with UCD Residences. This will give you an opportunity to either deny or confirm the report and action will be taken accordingly.

Can I ask why you refused to let them look at your room?

If you read your Licence to Reside it outlines what can and cannot be done in UCD Residences. If it is first offence and it was only a cigarette, then you will most likely get fined and given a warning. If it was something else then consequences may be worse. Nobody can tell you 100% what will happen as it is at the discretion of whoever is doing the disciplinary hearing.

I was aware that it wasn't permitted, I just saw it as a victimless crime. Yes it was only a cigarette, I even offered to prove this to the RA (by showing them the butt of the fag where I had thrown it out the window) but they wouldn't allow me to, for whatever reason.
    I didn't let them in purely out of principle; it's more or less my property at the end of the day.
    It was my first time, yeah. Would the fact that this is my very first week at the college make them any more lenient regarding punishment? And would the fine be taken from my deposit?

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 pacni

I was aware that it wasn't permitted, I just saw it as a victimless crime. Yes it was only a cigarette, I even offered to prove this to the RA (by showing them the butt of the fag where I had thrown it out the window) but they wouldn't allow me to, for whatever reason.
    I didn't let them in purely out of principle; it's more or less my property at the end of the day.
    It was my first time, yeah. Would the fact that this is my very first week at the college make them any more lenient regarding punishment? And would the fine be taken from my deposit?

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

The smell of smoke is unpleasant and second hand smoke can potentially be harmful to the other residents - which is the reason why it was outlawed in public confined spaces.

I understand that it is your personal space, but it isn't your property. The building and fixtures are all owned by UCD Residences and in fact legally you aren't even a tenant. They are giving you permission to reside there under the conditions outlined in the Licence to Reside, a slight but important legal difference. It is for this reason that they have the authority to remove/fine you under the conditions that they set rather than what you would legally be entitled to under a tenancy agreement.

I can't say how lenient they would be but generally with smoking there isn't much leeway, given the fact that everybody knows that you aren't allowed to smoke. The fine will be charged to your SISWeb account and you will have to pay it yourself. The deposit is only for the condition of the room at the end of your licence.

I am not chastising you by the way, I am just telling you what I imagine the perspective of UCD Residences would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m3ga0n3

I have just dug up a list of breaches of the UCD Residences policies and the fines that go along with them. You can view these by googling "Guide to Managing Breaches of Residential Rules UCD"

It seems that you will be liable for a €150 fine and a severe reprimand since this is your first offence of this rule. I think you can consider yourself lucky that only on a second offence would the consider reprimanding you under the country's legislation. Since this is a breach of the law of the country as well as the law of the residences you live on it seems that UCD may have no choice but to fine you at least this amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Just walk downstairs and smoke..! It may be a 'victimless' crime but they are the rules so just follow them and save yourself the massive fine in future!

If you smoked out the window of a bus, you'd be kicked off. Doesn't matter if you've paid for the bus or that nobody died because you smoked out the window.. you broke the rules.

UCD are fairly strict on this sort of thing, don't get yourself a bad name because with regards disciplinaries, once the RA knows your face you become more obvious to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

(by showing them the butt of the fag where I had thrown it out the window)

Classy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

aine92 wrote: »
    UCD are fairly strict on this sort of thing.
    Yeah ucd are crazy ott on smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KumkuatPetit

Hi there,
    I don't know if I'll get an answer but I'm in the same case. I got sent an email for a Conduct Hearing Meeting. To the original author of this thread, how did things went for you ? Thanks
    K.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭LostYourNerve?

So I smoked a cigarette beside an open window in my dorm on campus accommodation and about 20 minutes later an RA came to my door and said someone notified them about the smell. They took my name etc. and asked to have a look in my room, to which I said no.
    Does anyone know if I'll be disciplined for this in any way? What would I actually have to do to get fined or kicked out?
    Thanks in advance for any answers.
    It's not to late to give them up. They're are bad for your health & they're a dirty habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭LostYourNerve?

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    oh i didnt realise it was so old. ha ha

Advertisement