Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin pint!

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Was in Dublin yesterday and decided to treat myself to a Dublin pint.
    (I lived there for a few years in the seventies.)
    Opted for O'Donohue's on Merrion Row as it was closest to my itinerary.
    Couldn't believe what the barman put up in front of me.
    Absolutely stunned!!....so much so that I made no comment or complaint.
    He seemed to be filling it as if he were pouring a coke..no settling time and no second pour..unbelievable!!
    And it wasn't just mine, he filled several the same way while I was there.
    Needless to say I didn't order a second one.
    Surely this can't be normal ??.. because if it is then a lot has changed (for the worse) since I left Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I assume you are talking about Guinness? I might start drinking there if they pour pints in one go, what a waste of time the ridiculous "two part pour" is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Most bars still do the two part pour, etc. Plenty of other establishments along that stretch to choose from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

miamee wrote: »
    Most bars still do the two part pour, etc. Plenty of other establishments along that stretch to choose from :)

That's good to hear but unfortunately I backed a loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

drumswan wrote: »
    I assume you are talking about Guinness? I might start drinking there if they pour pints in one go, what a waste of time the ridiculous "two part pour" is.

I respect your opinion but obviously I couldn't disagree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

peking97 wrote: »
    I respect your right to your opinion but obviously I couldn't disagree more!

Slight adjustment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

What you describe is sacrilege, I would not part with any cash, unless......the following...

Report this to Guinness........immediately...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

martinn123 wrote: »
    What you describe is sacrilege, I would not part with any cash, unless......the following...

The bleeding size of the head on that pint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Much as I like the tradition of the two part pour it really doesn't make any difference to the taste does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Much as I like the tradition of the two part pour it really doesn't make any difference to the taste does it?

it does affect the beer. you dont get enough nitrogen gas in the beer if you just do a single pour. So the beer wont be as creamy.I'm suprised that O'Donoghues doing that. I thought they were a decent pub. I would have complained and told him to pour it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beano wrote: »
    it does affect the beer. you dont get enough nitrogen gas in the beer if you just do a single pour. So the beer wont be as creamy.I'm suprised that O'Donoghues doing that. I thought they were a decent pub. I would have complained and told him to pour it again.

O'Donoghues hasn't been a decent pub for years.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    O'Donoghues hasn't been a decent pub for years.

I used to drink around there about 15 years ago when i worked on Fitzwilliam Square. A pity its gone downhill. Always preferred Toners anyway. Guaranteed a decent pint in there.

it does affect the beer. you dont get enough nitrogen gas in the beer if you just do a single pour.
    Where does the extra nitrogen come from in a two part pour?

Where does the extra nitrogen come from in a two part pour?

for the first part of the pour the barman pulls the handle towards themselves. for the second part they push the handle away from themselves. pushing the handle away adds extra nitrogen.

for the first part of the pour the barman pulls the handle towards themselves. for the second part they push the handle away from themselves. pushing the handle away adds extra nitrogen.

So push the handle forward toward the end of the pour...

Its not rocket science, Ive done it myself. There is zero taste difference between a two part pour and a single pour, no way could anyone pick out the difference in a blind test with a control pint.

So push the handle forward toward the end of the pour...

Its not rocket science, Ive done it myself. There is zero taste difference between a two part pour and a single pour, no way could anyone pick out the difference in a blind test with a control pint.

do you think a proper two part pour was decided up by chance? It was created by people who are much more knowledgeable about beer than you and i are. Just because you cant taste the difference doesnt mean the rest of us cant.

do you think a proper two part pour was decided up by chance? It was created by people who are much more knowledgeable about beer than you and i are. Just because you cant taste the difference doesnt mean the rest of us cant.

It was 'created' as draught Guinness was originally a blend of two cask conditioned ales, when nitro kegs were introduced people moaned because they changed things. So come clever marketing bod introduced the ridiculous "two part pour" to satiate them and it stuck. There is no reason for the two part pour outside marketing reasons.

It was 'created' as draught Guinness was originally a blend of two cask conditioned ales, when nitro kegs were introduced people moaned because they changed things. So come clever marketing bod introduced the ridiculous "two part pour" to satiate them and it stuck. There is no reason for the two part pour outside marketing reasons.

go away. you havent a clue what you are talking about. add your tuppence work here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055004773

go away. you havent a clue what you are talking about. add your tuppence work here
    Says the lad who thinks there is magically 'more nitrogen' in a beer because you rest it between pours. Perhaps it sucks in nitrogen from the surrounding atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Zero difference in taste if pulled in one or two pours.it looks better if its topped off in a two part pour as ya can sit the head up.Good or bad pints is 95% the cleanliness/dryness of the glass really and the other 5 is generously allowing for a bad keg or low/empty gas bottle

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Zero difference in taste if pulled in one or two pours.it looks better if its topped off in a two part pour as ya can sit the head up.
    Exactly, and Diageo could easily account for this by adjusting gas mixes, pressure etc. But they dont - for marketing reasons. The amount of horse**** talked about this relatively bland, watery nitro stout is staggering.

• Advertisement

Says the lad who thinks there is magically 'more nitrogen' in a beer because you rest it between pours. Perhaps it sucks in nitrogen from the surrounding atmosphere?

is that what i said? please quote the post where i said that.

Exactly, and Diageo could easily account for this by adjusting gas mixes, pressure etc. But they dont - for marketing reasons. The amount of horse**** talked about this relatively bland, watery nitro stout is staggering.

for somebody who doesnt like it you seem obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

If you worked in a bar or drank Guinness regularly then you'd understand that the bar staff pushing any tap away from them self delivers a large amount of nitrogen to the pint!

If a pint of pish, like Bud or Heineken, is poured with the tap being pushed away would lead to over 3/4 the glass containing head and very little beer, same goes for the black stuff!!

Tempted for a pint now the days work is finished!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

gumbo1 wrote: »
    If you worked in a bar or drank Guinness regularly then you'd understand that the bar staff pushing any tap away from them self delivers a large amount of nitrogen to the pint!

But he was pointing out that you could push the tap away at the end of the first pour. The wait is the bit that doesn't add anything is his argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There's an anti-guinnes brigade on boards.
    For the love of god dont upset them as they've an awful chip on their shoulder (Diageo?) and they look down their noses at us guinness drinkers, they're precious, poor sods.

Ill just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yleLTZzkQtw

Sold by and under licence from Diageo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gumbo1 wrote: »

No it doesn't. The tap delivers exactly the same ratio of nitrogen to beer, regardless of which way you pull/push it. Pushing the tap handle only allows for a slower stream that allows for less chance disturbing the settled head. The only reason for a two-stage pour is the settling time allowed for the head - it's purely about aesthetics - not taste, mouthfeel, or levels of nitrogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I drink in O'Donoghues sometimes and always get a 2 pour pint.

Must have been new staff or something.

So who can think of other porters & stouts produced by Dublin brewers (seeing as we are in the Dublin forum)?

I can think of

JW Sweetman Porter
    5 Lamps Black Pitts Porter
    Brown Paper Bag Pleasant Porter
    Rascals Ginger Porter
    Barrelhead Exceptional Porter
    Porterhouse Celebration Stout
    Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout
    Porterhouse Oyster Stout
    Porterhouse Plain Porter
    Porterhouse Wrasslers XXXX Stout
    Otterbank Farami

Any more?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

martinn123 wrote: »

Just randomly came across this thread. Iv often had this discussion with my friends too about whether or not the "two part " or the "one part" pour is better or does it make any difference!?

I have worked in a bar before and would always do the 2 part pour myself as would all the other staff, out of tradition really. I dont drink stout myself so I wouldnt know whether it tastes different or not, but I would imagine it doesnt taste any better or worse, its probably just the whole showmanship element of the two part pour that makes it automatically better in the eyes of some customers i would imagine.

Also, i must inform ye if any of ye have got the st james tour at the guinness warehouse, then ye would see that they actually do the 1 part pour, . So you would just imagine that it is just in the minds of the customer as to how much of a difference it makes to the pint, sorry to burst your bubble OP :D

Advertisement