Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council buy Cleeves

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

sleepyman wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/boost-for-limerick-2030-plan-as-council-buys-cleeve-s-for-3-5m-1-6294850
    I just hope it's not laying idle for a few years.Would love to see a multi-purpose indoor venue that could do concerts/shows.
    I know the Concert Hall does this on a smaller scale but it's in Castletroy rather than the city.
    The Hanging Garden site needs to be developed as there's a shortage of high grade office space in the city centre.

well sure they'll have to commission a report, then get a committee together to decide which consultant to get to do the report, and then it will take a year at least to do the report, followed by at least 6 months for everyone to read the report, another 6 months to discuss the report, then another while to decide if they accept the report and on and on and on... so ya it probably will lay idle for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

I always thought that site would be perfect for an events centre/concert/conference venue. Plenty of room to play with and adjacent to the city centre. The big question though is would it be viable? They've been trying for over a decade now in Cork to get such a venture off the ground. It's been one bungled attempt after another!

I wonder has the entirety of the former Golden Vale site been secured? They also owned the yard across the North Circular Road beside Shannon bridge. A residential element will surely form part of any proposal and that site in particular would be ideal for something like a residential tower. It would command fantastic views up and down the Shannon and over the city in general. Along with providing a focal point on the north quays.

That said I wouldn't expect to see any urgency in putting together a strategy for redevelopment. The council have been sitting on the "opera" site for nearly 3 years now without any significant proposals having even been presented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Vanquished wrote: »
    A residential element will surely form part of any proposal and that site in particular would be ideal for something like a residential tower.

A high density, high quality residential development would help underwrite the redevelopment cost. I'd like to see the road moved back from the waterfront, the rowing club redeveloped and the whole area opened up with a plaza etc.

Salesians is closed or supposed to be closing maybe that could be bought as well, or tie in with Ard Scoil Ris they could use it for various activities.

Lots of potential overall, great investment hopefully.

There are no scobe zones in the area so it should be fairly easy maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

It's fairly knacker free to be fair. Hopefully they can buy Dunnes & knock it down.Rubbish Building & looks terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd like to see something done with the ESB building as well! It's in such a prime site. It's the perfect spot for a multi-story office development!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

It was sold earlier this year so hopefully we'll see a planning application in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭touts

If they had a plan for the site I would say great.

But from the article it seems they might like to do something with it between now and 2030 and are starting discussions with interested parties to see if anyone has any good ideas on what they might do with the site now that they suddenly have it. The Celtic Tiger mentality of buy now figure it out later seems to be alive and well in city hall.

This has €3.5 million of taxpayers money pissed away written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Its great value for the site where it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

touts wrote: »
    If they had a plan for the site I would say great.

But from the article it seems they might like to do something with it between now and 2030 and are starting discussions with interested parties to see if anyone has any good ideas on what they might do with the site now that they suddenly have it. The Celtic Tiger mentality of buy now figure it out later seems to be alive and well in city hall.

This has €3.5 million of taxpayers money pissed away written all over it.

Much easier to buy it now than wait and see how we could use and then go looking for the site.

Just hope its not turned into an expensive white elephant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It was an excellent venue for EVA this year, had a real Battersea Power Station vibe off it. I thought at the time it would be perfect for a small music festival of some sort, loads of different sized rooms in a very urban like setting, I'd imagine insurance would be a problem but still, it has been one of many new venues I have seen this year which I was impressed with.

Can't go wrong with this purchase even if it just sits there for a few years, it is a beautiful part of town. It is curious that this was purchased tho, I do know that they were getting nowhere with Dunnes on Sarsfield street, which was where the new National Diaspora centre was proposed for, only time will tell if this was an important purchase, I suspect it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Is the span of the river too wide for a pedestrian bridge from Cecil St to near the Boat Club? Would bring the city centre very close to the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

phog wrote: »
    Is the span of the river too wide for a pedestrian bridge from Cecil St to near the Boat Club? Would bring the city centre very close to the site.

Cable car just like London

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »

Google Earth tells me that the span is 165m at Lower Cecil St. It's possible to do it but I'd say the cost would be prohibitive. The Millenium Bridge in Dublin is only 50m and cost £1.5m back in 1999. That works out at around €2.7m in todays money. At over 3 times the length I couldn't see a predestrian bridge costing less than €10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Google Earth tells me that the span is 165m at Lower Cecil St. It's possible to do it but I'd say the cost would be prohibitive. The Millenium Bridge in Dublin is only 50m and cost £1.5m back in 1999. That works out at around €2.7m in todays money. At over 3 times the length I couldn't see a predestrian bridge costing less than €10m.

You don't even have to look at Dublin to see what could be done - The Living Bridge in UL is long, approx 300m long. Would be beautiful if they did something similar to arrive on Bedford Row

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You don't even have to look at Dublin to see what could be done - The Living Bridge in UL is long, approx 300m long. Would be beautiful if they did something similar to arrive on Bedford Row

It's a question of money. The Living Bridge cost around €16m and was privately funded. Any bridge in the city would have to be publicly funded. While it would be great to see, I can't see where the funding would come for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

It's a question of money. The Living Bridge cost around €16m and was privately funded. Any bridge in the city would have to be publicly funded. While it would be great to see, I can't see where the funding would come for it.

Regeneration! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There was talk of an International Convention Centre going there. Wouldn't be a bad thing.

Personally, I'd like to see us woo a tech giant such as Facebook or Google to the city centre, and this would be an ideal site for that.

Advertisement