Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chartered Surveyor or Snagger?

Options
  • 12-09-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

OH and I are buying a property which was in a semi unfinished estate in Dublin, which is being dusted off and finished now that prices are rising. The property is classified as a new build and needs a snag done now that they're fitting the kitchen, sanitary ware etc.

We had previously gone sale agreed elsewhere on a second hand property, and got a chartered surveyor to do an inspection. I met him after his inspection, he walked me through it, pointed out the bits that needed to be looked into, wrote the report etc, no bother. It's just unfortunate that the sale fell through (vendors negative equity).

Now for the new property, we need a snag done, and while we have been visiting the estate, we have encountered a home snagging company, and got talking to one of their team. He showed us his report on the property he was inspecting, and it was very detailed - nearly 15/20 pages - so we are considering using him to snag our new home, but have a couple of concerns;
    1) are home snag firms likely to more detailed, less detailed, or equal to to chartered building surveyor?
    2) is a home snagging firm likely to be insured? (I'm wary in case it's like comparing an advocate with a lawyer, not quite apples with apples)
    3) are home snagging firms likely to be qualified or registered to a professional body?

I've looked at their website, and can't find anything about qualifications or insurance. The building surveyor we used on the second hand property was grand, just very relaxed, and I don't want him to let things slide by. I'm sure he wouldn't but...

Also, I have a concern about the front drain - I think I will probably get it inspected for piece of mind regardless - should I wait until the snagging inspection(s) are completed, or arrange that separately?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

IMO discuss with the chartered surveyor. S/he can advise if other professionals are required.

Advertisement