Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faked Bike Maintenance

• 12-09-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Anyone else ever get conned by a bike shop, I dropped bike in to have rear deraileur cable replaced as it was stiff and shifting badly. Got bike back and it wouldn't change into the 25 and was still shifting badly. The cable looked like it had just been twisted around as it was a bit rough at the end. I took it back and they said oh but you should be using that gear.

I'm convinced they just twisted it around as they couldn't be bothered with the internal cable routing. I've no evidence so no point in a complaint

Had the cable replaced by local bike shop who I trust and it's now perfect. They said it took 90 minutes to change with the internal cable routing.

Next time I think I'll mark up the cable.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Do all my own maintenance, though thankfully all the cables are routed externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Yes. Thankfully I have two trustworthy mechanics now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thankfully I have two trustworthy mechanics now

One is called Slap, the other Dash? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

Pharma wrote: »
    ... shop who I trust ... They said it took 90 minutes to change with the internal cable routing.
    Seriously? 90 minutes to change a rear derailleur cable? that's a 5 min job if you don't have to retape the bars, 10 otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Anyone else ever get conned by a bike shop, I dropped bike in to have rear deraileur cable replaced as it was stiff and shifting badly. Got bike back and it wouldn't change into the 25 and was still shifting badly. The cable looked like it had just been twisted around as it was a bit rough at the end. I took it back and they said oh but you should be using that gear.

I'm convinced they just twisted it around as they couldn't be bothered with the internal cable routing. I've no evidence so no point in a complaint

Had the cable replaced by local bike shop who I trust and it's now perfect. They said it took 90 minutes to change with the internal cable routing.

Next time I think I'll mark up the cable.

Anyone else have similar experience?

They may have just changed the inners. When replacing cables best to get inner and outers replaced especially if you are doing big mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

Still think it's fairly shocking service to return a bike and then claim that it shouldn't shift up into the 25.

I asked for the internal cable to be replaced. Perhaps 90 mins was an exaggeration but you get the idea. Internal cable routing is great for aerodynamics not for mechanics.

Ah well lesson learned. Always go to Local Bike Shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Still think it's fairly shocking service to return a bike and then claim that it shouldn't shift up into the 25.

I asked for the internal cable to be replaced. Perhaps 90 mins was an exaggeration but you get the idea. Internal cable routing is great for aerodynamics not for mechanics.

Ah well lesson learned. Always go to Local Bike Shop.

If you meant big ring on front and 25 at top of the cassette, then you shouldn't be using that gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pharma

Yes I know you should not cross chain but the bike should still change into the 52/25 regardless of whether you are supposed to use it or not.

Bit much to turn an 11 speed into a 10 speed and tell you that it's still fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Yes I know you should not cross chain but the bike should still change into the 52/25 regardless of whether you are supposed to use it or not.

Bit much to turn an 11 speed into a 10 speed and tell you that it's still fine.

Internally routed can be tricked to keep running right. The sharp bend and exit point where water/grime can egress is probably weakest point.

After changing cable twice and rd I just made my bike ugly and externally routed it. 5k of perfect shifting since!

Deserves you right for using big ring up Shanrahan!

Advertisement