Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabouts

Options
  • 12-09-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Seen as there are plenty of roundabouts here in Charlesland and even more drivers that don't know how to use them.
    Perhaps it's an Irish thing but this image may clear a few things up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

thanks for the driving lesson - how much do we owe you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It has been a while since we had a discussion on this. The lane on the right is the fast lane, yeah?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

One problem with the image you posted there OP. In Ireland (and perhaps elsewhere, I don't know), those in authority have left us with a situation where the road leading on to a roundabout splits into 2 lanes (all fine so far and just like that in your image), but the road coming off it is just one lane. So, in the example you quote, what happens if the two cars approaching the roundabout (red & blue) want to leave at exit 2 ?

A perfect example of that is the roundabout at Shoreline. All 3 approach roads have 2 lanes, 2 of the 3 roads leaving it are 1 lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Ahhhh dis Auld Chestnut again!!!! :D

For the Shoreline, the main road has two lanes and the turn exit into the Shoreline has one lane. If you are driving up the hill and heading into the Shoreline, you should always only be in the left lane. If you're coming down the hill into the shoreline you should only be in the right lane. So it shouldn't be a case of two lanes merging into one.

Same happens at the Kilcoole roundabout a lot. Coming down from Eden Gate, lots of cars will approach in the left lane and then turn right across the roundabout. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Langerland wrote: »
    Ahhhh dis Auld Chestnut again!!!! :D

For the Shoreline, the main road has two lanes and the turn exit into the Shoreline has one lane. If you are driving up the hill and heading into the Shoreline, you should always only be in the left lane. If you're coming down the hill into the shoreline you should only be in the right lane. So it shouldn't be a case of two lanes merging into one.

Same happens at the Kilcoole roundabout a lot. Coming down from Eden Gate, lots of cars will approach in the left lane and then turn right across the roundabout. :confused:

I think we're basically saying the same thing. My main point is that the image quoted by the OP is all very well for 2 lane in, 2 lane out. It doesn't apply for many roundabouts in this country.

Also, people not familiar with the roundabout won't know there's only 1 lane out (perhaps there's a sign on approach - I can't say I'm aware of one though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

<Mod snip>

Most of us do know how to use roundabouts and therefore don't need the likes of you "educating" us. As for the rugby pitch thing, are you having a breakdown or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Boy I'd love to meet some users on the rugby pitch, see what the have to say then....

I know what I'd say... I'd say, "Rather than posting about it on the internet, where only a tiny number of people are likely to see it, you should turn the image you posted into a massive sign and erect it in the middle of every roundabout in Charlesland." And then I'd wonder what the hell I'm doing on a rugby pitch. Awful, stupid sport.
    Langerland wrote:
    Same happens at the Kilcoole roundabout a lot. Coming down from Eden Gate, lots of cars will approach in the left lane and then turn right across the roundabout.

Recently, on that roundabout, I nearly collided with a Garda who did just that (Traffic Corps too). There is no hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Seen as there are plenty of roundabouts here in Charlesland and even more drivers that don't know how to use them.
    Perhaps it's an Irish thing but this image may clear a few things up.

Shame its wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

loobylou wrote: »
    Shame its wrong though.

How is it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

zanador wrote: »
    How is it wrong?

In the absence of roadmarkings, left or straight ahead should normally be from the left lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

loobylou wrote: »
    In the absence of roadmarkings, left or straight ahead should normally be from the left lane.

But if there is an "absence of roadmarkings" then the whole side of the road is the left lane. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

RayM wrote: »
    I know what I'd say... I'd say, "Rather than posting about it on the internet, where only a tiny number of people are likely to see it, you should turn the image you posted into a massive sign and erect it in the middle of every roundabout in Charlesland." And then I'd wonder what the hell I'm doing on a rugby pitch. Awful, stupid sport.

Recently, on that roundabout, I nearly collided with a Garda who did just that (Traffic Corps too). There is no hope. :)

Please mind your tone.

LEIN wrote: »
    Please mind your tone.

Apologies - I'm broadly sympathetic with the views of the OP, although I can understand why my tone might have appeared to suggest otherwise.

On roundabouts (every roundabout between Eden Gate and Shoreline), I always find that the best way to avoid incidents or near-misses is to hold back slightly and allow the car alongside you to enter the roundabout first, so you can see what they're doing. I hate being overtaken on a roundabout - something which I see a lot in Charlesland.

Also, a shocking amount of people, coming from Charlesland, turn right towards Greystones at the Shoreline roundabout, from the left-hand lane (despite the great big arrows painted on the road) - often without even indicating. If there's a car alongside me when I'm turning right, I deliberately hesitate for a moment, so we won't enter the roundabout alongside each other.

Ok, you shouldn't have to be constantly holding-back and watching out for other people's idiocy, but it's better for the blood-pressure than near-misses and horn-blasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

The two close proximity roundabouts at the junction of Kilcoole rd, Mill rd, Delgany rd and Killincarrig rd are being replaced by traffic lights according to a local resident on Mill Bank.
    If this is true I'm disappointed because as a regular road user there I have rarely encountered any delays or problems at that junction.

Zebbedee wrote: »
    The two close proximity roundabouts at the junction of Kilcoole rd, Mill rd, Delgany rd and Killincarrig rd are being replaced by traffic lights according to a local resident on Mill Bank.
    If this is true I'm disappointed because as a regular road user there I have rarely encountered any delays or problems at that junction.

I don't know about traffic lights, but I've heard they're putting zebra crossings at the entrances to those roundabouts. If it's true, I hope they'll be ramped, because when you're coming from the Kilcoole road, traffic from Mill Road often seems to enter the roundabout very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Zebbedee wrote: »

Not traffic lights but zebra crossings with flashing amber lights - the road is being tightened up, probably to slow down vehicles as they approach.

oqlr0p.jpg

Its on facebook here

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Also, a shocking amount of people, coming from Charlesland, turn right towards Greystones at the Shoreline roundabout from the left-hand lane ..
    Not good, but not what the OP was talking about because there is no straight ahead option there, only left or right.
    I don't know about traffic lights, but I've heard they're putting zebra crossings at the entrances to those roundabouts. If it's true, I hope they'll be ramped, because when you're coming from the Kilcoole road, traffic from Mill Road often seems to enter the roundabout very quickly.
    They have the right of way when arriving there at the same time as traffic coming from Kilcoole. The main benefit of the new layout will be to make this more obvious, and with better sightlines. Currently its too easy for (non local) people approaching from Kilcoole direction to think that they are on the main road, and that Mill Road is a side road at a T junction. Then suddenly they see its a mini roundabout with a car on their right, and have to jam on the brakes while going down a fairly steep hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

my biggest bugbear is people indicating right coming onto a roundabout and then continuing on straight...
    I know its not in greystones but it seems to happen all of the time at the first roundabout after shoreline in bray.... there's two lanes coming onto that roundabout and if im in the left lane aiming to go straight and there is someone beside me who has indicated to go right i nearly always wait for them to go because its ridiculous the amount of times they will go straight

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

boardie100 wrote: »
    my biggest bugbear is people indicating right coming onto a roundabout and then continuing on straight...
    I know its not in greystones but it seems to happen all of the time at the first roundabout after shoreline in bray.... there's two lanes coming onto that roundabout and if im in the left lane aiming to go straight and there is someone beside me who has indicated to go right i nearly always wait for them to go because its ridiculous the amount of times they will go straight

This! A million bazillion times!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

boardie100 wrote: »

If you mean the roundabout below, the left lane is for turning left only so you would both be in the wrong.

SCR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

m0nsterie wrote: »
    If you mean the roundabout below, the left lane is for turning left only so you would both be in the wrong.

SCR.jpg

is that the one just at the retail centre?.... ill need to check this tomorrow :) ..

anyway i initally only started going into the left lane because i assumed the person indicating right was going to go right and i wanted to keep moving...

Advertisement