Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland has not scaled back on broadband ambitions

Options
  • 12-09-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

The Government of Ireland has not scaled back on its broadband ambitions - Communications Minister Alex White

€512m broadband intervention by the State will extend to every location in every county in Ireland.

“My department officials are working closely with industry on a detailed mapping exercise. The results will be published in November on my department’s website via an interactive mapping tool.

“This will be followed by a publication consultation where operators and citizens can give feedback to ensure we have identified areas that require intervention.”

White said the €512m intervention plan will be dynamic and subject to change and will be defined by a competitive tendering process to appoint a winning bidder to build the network.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/38303-difsept14/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

“We have certainly not scaled back ambitions as recent press reports have suggested.

I think he was referring to this press report which contains several inaccuracies and an amount of speculation.

Other interesting bits.
    “My department officials are working closely with industry on a detailed mapping exercise. The results will be published in November on my department’s website via an interactive mapping tool.
    “This will be followed by a publication consultation where operators and citizens can give feedback to ensure we have identified areas that require intervention.”
    White said the €512m intervention plan will be dynamic and subject to change and will be defined by a competitive tendering process to appoint a winning bidder to build the network.
    Correction
    In the video he actually talks about "bidders" plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Have we got a real concrete measurable ambition, a will to measure it and then ability to know if we did scale back?

watty wrote: »
    Have we got a real concrete measurable ambition, a will to measure it and then ability to know if we did scale back?

The map is to be produced by November.

The video of the Minister's Speech is here, he's talking about "all townlands"

The what and the when are another day's work.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Since the local elections the incumbents have moved into election mode. If this was the day after the 2011 elections there might be some hope but this sounds like the plan is to do lots more talking before the elections - I'll believe it when I see it!

Arguably, this process started when the Next Generation Task Force first met in June 2011.

Three years later there is still no map of NGA availability - a prerequisite of state aid approval, or even a definition of NGA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement