Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrubs suitable for hedging.

Options
  • 12-09-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Can someone recommend a few small shrubs suitable for hedging? I'd like the leaves to be fairly small and close together. What's the cheapest? I'd like to have 3 different ones.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

What is your favorite shrub for hedging?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

It depends on your definition of small. I have a low growing hedge of Pittosporum "Tom Thumb" in part of my garden. It's about 2 feet high.
    My favourite for a higher hedge is Photinia "Red Robin".
    You could use a mix of green and copper beech.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Maybe Worztron you could say what height hedge you want.

Small shrubs - hmmmm i have a row of lavander planted - its about two foot on height. i would recommend this - but lavander needs to be replaced after about ten or more years as it gets quite woody. Otherwise its very attractive and fragrant. I had to replace my lavender two years ago but the new hedge/ row is growing quickly.

Box is nice too. Its cheap if you buy it as small plants - you can get these small ones during the autumn and winter in garden shops.

As a larger hedge i recommend Portuguese Laurel. I have a large one but last week I saw one about four foot in height in the middle of Belfast.

Red Hare wrote: »
    Maybe Worztron you could say what height hedge you want.

Small shrubs - hmmmm i have a row of lavander planted - its about two foot on height. i would recommend this - but lavander needs to be replaced after about ten or more years as it gets quite woody. Otherwise its very attractive and fragrant. I had to replace my lavender two years ago but the new hedge/ row is growing quickly.

Box is nice too. Its cheap if you buy it as small plants - you can get these small ones during the autumn and winter in garden shops.

As a larger hedge i recommend Portuguese Laurel. I have a large one but last week I saw one about four foot in height in the middle of Belfast.

Something that does not need to be replaced and grows to at least about 2 meters. Is easy to cut with a manual hedge clippers and is compact with small leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lonicera nitida fits all your requirements, as does berberis. The lonicera must be trimmed down as soon as it is planted so that it grows bushy from the bottom, but if it is treated right it makes a great hedge.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Lonicera nitida fits all your requirements, as does berberis. The lonicera must be trimmed down as soon as it is planted so that it grows bushy from the bottom, but if it is treated right it makes a great hedge.

Cheers. I should have added though that the wire fence is bordering a neighbours garden. It looks something like this:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo-nT1YK61d-k0eoEDSNXnwbpWoQO6DCnLfk0Pxh9rIkkMI496

They have concrete on their side. So would ivy be the better option to cover the fence on both sides?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, let the lonicera grow through it. It's what I'd recommend too...

tampopo wrote: »
    No, let the lonicera grow through it. It's what I'd recommend too...

I also forgot to mention that the part of the fence that is fairly bare where I want to plant the shrub(s), runs parallel with a shed. There's about half a meter between the fence and shed so getting in to cut is awkward. I was thinking that the hedge would come out more than ivy or other plant types.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When ivy really gets going (as it does in places where you can't get at it) it can create a deep, ignorant looking, impenetrable thicket that is even more trouble than a hedge! And it would grab hold of, and grow all over the shed. However you are never going to have much success with a hedge behind a shed, I would be inclined to let the hedge come to a stop at the corner of the shed.

The place to cover is a little over 2.74m in length

• Advertisement
Advertisement