Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Query

Options
  • 12-09-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick question, I was in the States 3 weeks ago for a week on an ESTA visa the Border Control guy put a stamp on my passport until the 7th of November 2014. The thing is I'm looking to go back again in October to do some shopping. Will it this cause an issue for me going back again before the date that was stamped on my passport ? Just asking as I felt like a criminal and was doing something wrong with the questions I was asked when I first entered.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

You'll be fine.

The ESTA is for 3 months, so they stamp the maximum amount of time you are allowed to remain in the country. This times "resets" when you leave. The next time you go, they will stamp you in for another 3 months.

The other thing is that the airlines pass on their flight manifesto to the authorities who then mark you as "leaving the country".

The questions are normal, I have less of them now as I am on a work visa, but the guys at the border are just doing their job in making sure that the people using the visa waiver/ESTA are not going to try and work or stay in the country. If it's any consolation, i frequently travel with Americans via London, and I am usually at the gate for the next flight by the time they are through passport control and asked tons of questions by British Border patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The ESTA is for 3 months, so they stamp the maximum amount of time you are allowed to remain in the country. This times "resets" when you leave. The next time you go, they will stamp you in for another 3 months.

Your other advice is good and as a frequent traveller that must have been a typo - the ESTA itself is good for two years or when your passport expires (whichever occurs sooner) and covers multiple entry. It's the travel permit that you get stamped in your passport that lasts 90 days (usually) and as you said, it expires when you leave the country and return to Ireland.

You are allowed brief trips to Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' and can return to the US under the original 90 day permit but the clock does not stop while you are outside the US on such a trip. Leaving the US for any other country causes it to expire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

coylemj wrote: »
    Your other advice is good and as a frequent traveller that must have been a typo - the ESTA itself is good for two years or when your passport expires (whichever occurs sooner) and covers multiple entry. It's the travel permit that you get stamped in your passport that lasts 90 days (usually) and as you said, it expires when you leave the country and return to Ireland.

You are allowed brief trips to Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' and can return under the original 90 day permit but the clock does not stop while you are outside the US on such a trip. Travelling back to Ireland does cause it to expire.

OOooops - there goes my credibility...I'll get my coat :) (forgive me...it is early in CA and have been working since 4am)

correct...the ESTA is good for two years, the VWP entry is good for 90 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Thanks For all your help guys - I'm really grateful :)

Advertisement