Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McSwyne Gun loop Dunfanaghy

Options
  • 12-09-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,
    I attempted to walk this route last weekend and was confronted by an angry farmer who said it was his land and we were trespassing.
    He was quite aggressive and made us go back the way we came.

Anyone know what's going on? Is the route closed?

walksireland.com/?p=406

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.thisismilford.com/local-news/item/famous-donegal-walkway-forced-to-shut-down.html

Someone's refusing access; I can only assume its not a pre-existing right of way (or if it is, the council are being incredibly useless in defending it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm almost positive it ended/closed either early this year or late last year. Some of the landowners couldn't agree contracts with the Dept for compensation for using their land so the plug was pulled. Afaik, those walks are a straightforward all-in or all-out when it comes to contracts with the landowners. If one refuses to sign up, it's game over.

Edit: ^^^or what the above post says works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

This is such sad news I have walked this trail many times and was planning to bring a bunch of friends walking there at the end of the month, looks like we will have to go some were else.

Donegal really needs walks like this, it's pretty sad such a beautiful stretch of our coast line is closed to visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Bogieman

Yes it seems a bit silly to market a route without securing long term access in advance.
    Anyway you can always go to Kerry, lots of costal walking routes there and there better at football too :)

Advertisement