Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6. What network?

• 12-09-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

I'm currently with emobile with an unlimited tarriff for €35 a month that I got when they launched in Ireland. My contract is up over a year now and I've been waiting to either upgrade or switch carrier for the iPhone 6. Registered my interest with both 3 and Meteor as they had notices on their respective websites. No word yet off them.

Has anyone seen or heard of any pricing yet and also who normally does the best deal? I'd be hoping to get 4g this time around also. Unlimited deals are not necessary as I never needed remotely near the calls, texts and data I had.

Would I be better off buying sim free altogether even? I'm open to suggestions!

Apologies if this has been discussed before on another thread. I had a good search there and found nothing.

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

All the networks are fairly patchy and ****e, Vodafone is probably the best for coverage but they're also the most expensive and don't give you much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm with Vodafone historically because of the free V to V calls, but if I get a good tariff with unlimited calls with another carrier I'm thinking seriously about ditching them.

You (currently) have to pay at least €55 a month to use their 4G when my current €40 a month covers everything I need. Actually - do all the carriers have 4G??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its hard to advise this, as you know your own usage, we don't. You should check out the websites for all the operators when they actually put in the iPhones on them. Then make an informed decision from there. Last year I finished the eMobile €34.50 plan, bought a sim-free iPhone 5S and went on a 30 days rolling sim-only deal with eMobile. 5GB of 4G data, unlimited calls and texts for €24/month. You need to do the maths on which would suit you. Tesco also do good deals using the O2 network. I looked at Vodafone last night on their website, and IMO their plans are very expensive. I've always fond o2 expensive, and now they're owned by 3 I'll steer well clear. Check the coverage for any prospective carriers, by using a PAYG sim for a while on the areas you use it most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

pedatron wrote: »
    I'm currently with emobile with an unlimited tarriff for €35 a month that I got when they launched in Ireland. My contract is up over a year now and I've been waiting to either upgrade or switch carrier for the iPhone 6. Registered my interest with both 3 and Meteor as they had notices on their respective websites. No word yet off them.

Has anyone seen or heard of any pricing yet and also who normally does the best deal? I'd be hoping to get 4g this time around also. Unlimited deals are not necessary as I never needed remotely near the calls, texts and data I had.

Would I be better off buying sim free altogether even? I'm open to suggestions!

Apologies if this has been discussed before on another thread. I had a good search there and found nothing.

P

To be honest, with resale prices dropping fast sim-free doesn't look like a great option if you want the phone for only a year. If you got a sim free, it'd likely be worth 200-300 less in a years time (judging by Adverts).

Saying that, even on the cheapest plan you'd probably be paying 25 per month for the phone itself. Multiply that out by how long you're going to keep the phone + the upfront cost and see what works for you.

If you got a sim-free iPhone 6 now + 20 euro a month top up on Three, that's 1179 over two years compared to 1080 if you got their 45 a month tarrif + upfront cost.

Personally? I think sim-free phones are better value. They have a higher resale value, they give you the freedom to switch to a cheaper provider if you want and you have the freedom to upgrade every year whereas on contract you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Thanks lads. Great points in them all. The more I think about it the more I'd be leaning towards sim free. I can then just get the best 30 day deal going at the time and adjust it if its not working out for me. Didn't even bother looking at Vodafone or O2. Always were too expensive for me over the years. I think everyone is 4G now but coverage varies. I will probably go to my local carphone and ask them which has the best 4g coverage in my area. They are normally honest enough when informing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

pedatron wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Great points in them all. The more I think about it the more I'd be leaning towards sim free. I can then just get the best 30 day deal going at the time and adjust it if its not working out for me. Didn't even bother looking at Vodafone or O2. Always were too expensive for me over the years. I think everyone is 4G now but coverage varies. I will probably go to my local carphone and ask them which has the best 4g coverage in my area. They are normally honest enough when informing you.

I've had the iPhone 5S on 3 4G and it's pretty good when you have signal. Usually, 3G is common but you find it a lot in Dublin City Center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Spoke to emobile this evening about upgrading my phone and contract.
    Was told they will have the iphone 6 and 6 plus from 29th sept,
    Price from monday week.

They will be taking orders from monday week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Interested in this myself, I've always bought direct from Apple, but between the upfront costs and wanting to go for LTE I'm thinking of going Billpay. It's a tough decision, another positive is you get the phone on launch day instead of waiting 3-4 weeks for Apple to deliver.

I'm looking to check out the price plans but will probably be sticking with Meteor. Curious about the prices but hoping they're competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

pre ordered from Apple 64GB 6, contract up in 3 months with Vodafone, will prob get upgrade - 64GB 6+ and see which i prefer.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement