Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

bossdrum wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble connecting to the hilink app?

It says 'no huawei routers found'

I don't think it is a supported router for hi-link..It wasn't the last I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

I don't think it is a supported router for hi-link..It wasn't the last I looked.

I was able to get that application working with my router without any issues.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's working fine for me.

It connects ok for me (to the b593s-22). I use it to keep track of consumption and it does this perfectly. However it fails, more often than not, to open SMSs or to indicate which devices are connected. It just gives a 'operation failed' message but sometimes it does complete the operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

madmoe wrote:
    I was able to get that application working with my router without any issues.

Discodog wrote:
    It's working fine for me.

Thanks guys, seems to be a bit random whether it works or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There is not a lot of spare CPU power on small routers so when they are under stress they are often poor at providing info on the user interface.

Yup, it didn't work for me, I looked up the supported modems and it didn't list the B593, so didn't try further. If it now works , I may try again, as it was great app when I had a mifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Ending up buying one of these B593u-12 routers from ebay. Turned out to be locked when I got it, so I followed this guide http://www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?t=1144594 to unlock it and after that I updated the firmware further as per the end of that guide, in order to get SMS feature.

I could then configure my lycamobile data sim and got it connected (roaming must be enabled)

But there is no internet connectivity for any device connected, I've tried my win10 laptop via LAN and WLAN, and my android via WLAN, but there is no connectivity, and I can't ping 8.8.8.8

Diagnostics on the device all pass, it can ping 8.8.8.8 very well, resolve hostnames etc. I've tried setting the DNS in windows to 8.8.8.8 but it doesn't help, even so, I can't ping 8.8.8.8 any way. There is no way to change the DNS servers on the router.

Wireless Mode:
    WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSPA+/3G
    PASS
    Dialing Mode:
    Always on
    PASS
    Data Connection Status:
    Connected
    PASS
    SIM card ready:
    YES
    PASS
    SIM verified:
    YES
    PASS
    Data APN:
    data.lycamobile.ie
    PASS
    Internet MTU:
    PASS
    Data IP Address:
    PASS
    Data IP address subnet mask:
    PASS
    Data IP gateway:
    PASS
    DNS:
    PASS

PLMN:
    02 - IRL
    PASS
    Service Status:
    Valid services
    PASS
    RSSI(dBm):
    PASS
    Roam:
    YES
    PASS
    Signal Strength:
    PASS

LAN Host IP address:
    PASS
    Subnet Mask:
    PASS
    DHCP Switch:
    ON
    PASS
    Start IP address:
    PASS
    End IP address:
    PASS
    Lease time(s):
    PASS

Firewall level:
    Disable
    PASS
    MAC filtering:
    Disable
    PASS
    IP filtering:
    Disable
    PASS
    URL filtering:
    Disable
    PASS
    DMZ:
    OFF
    PASS
    UPnP:
    ON
    PASS
    SIP ALG:
    OFF
    PASS

Any ideas? I tried changing the MTU setting as per http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057605304 but I don't think its my exact issue

Do your devices get an IP address from the router? If so, I would still lower MTU to about 1300 for testing purposes and see if it makes a difference. I have fixed many connectivity issues with lowering MTU since I am using 4G.
    Out of interest, why are you using lyca ? I thought they didn't do 4G ? And do they let you tether, as that is what you are doing here..

Do your devices get an IP address from the router? If so, I would still lower MTU to about 1300 for testing purposes and see if it makes a difference. I have fixed many connectivity issues with lowering MTU since I am using 4G.
    Out of interest, why are you using lyca ? I thought they didn't do 4G ? And do they let you tether, as that is what you are doing here..

Didn't think that device the "12" area model did 4G in Ireland?

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Didn't think that device the "12" area model did 4G in Ireland?

My s-12 is doing 4G fine on Meteor and VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

And do they let you tether, as that is what you are doing here..

Lyca block tethering. There are ways around it. They use TTL detection and if it doesn't match what is expected from a phone, you'll have no connectivity. I don't know if this will work but try the following:
    1. Put SIM in phone.
    2. Use terminal on android to ping a site and note the TTL value.
    3. Adjust the device (laptop, phone etc) TTL to match the value from step 2 above.
    4. Put SIM back in router.

You may need to change TTL in the router also but it's usually the end user device that's detected.

Changing TTL on windows is straightforward but I'm not familiar with Win 10. Android TTL change requires root access therefore not as easy as windows OS.

I'd bought one of their Data SIMs assuming they were for use in dongles/routers etc, maybe not it turns out?? http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle?id=DBL

I'll try the TTL check, cheers

Actually just confirmed the lyca SIM is the issue, tried a 48 SIM and it worked straight away, 10Mbit/1Mbit DL/UL

I'd only bought the lyca SIM as I thought 3g speeds were good enough to replace my parents 1Mbit eircom DSL.

Whats a good alternative 3/4g data SIM plan? Noting that O2/Three coverage seems pretty decent and uncongested in my area

magher wrote: »
    Whats a good alternative 3/4g data SIM plan? Noting that O2/Three coverage seems pretty decent and uncongested in my area

I am sure the standard answer here will be a Three AYCE data plan, I don't have one, but I think it is €20/month.

I guess it depends what they need it for, eg how much data will they go through each month as other cheaper plans may be out there but will all have a cap.

magher wrote: »

It really depends on what works best in your area. Three didnt work for me but I'm now on a vodafone 150Gb/month for 50eur and getting consistent speeds of 25/3 or more.

With fibre and Imagine moving into rural ireland, hopefully contention will be held in check for the time being ...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

This is the guide for setting the Default TTL value in Windows.

I would suggest setting it to 65 as Android uses 64 by default and a TTL of 65 reportedly works with some other mobile operators that block tethering. This way you can hopefully make use of the data you bought on the Lyca SIM before trying another provider.

Basically, you go into the registry editor into "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters" and create a new 32-bit DWORD with the value '65'. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

If that does not work, you can try pinging with different TTL sizes by typing in 'ping -i # 8.8.8.8 -n 2', trying '33', '61', '121' and '129' in place of the '#'. The TTL value decreases by one when it hits the router so should appear as a common TTL value by Lyca. Hopefully it if replies, this is the value to set in the registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Got a B593-22 from one of the Kuwait lads on eBay.
    Doesn't seem to be working any better than the dongle setup for me.

The software on it seems to be for some VIVA network.
    They only two bands apparently.

UMTS

Name Interface
    B1 (2100) UMTS

LTE

Name Interface
    B3 (1800 +) LTE

Would the other bands be disabled in the firmware ?
    If so would it be worth flashing a generic firmware on it ? Anyone have a guide ?

EDIT: Looks like 3 uses these same bands

long_b wrote: »
    Got a B593-22 from one of the Kuwait lads on eBay.
    Doesn't seem to be working any better than the dongle setup for me.

The software on it seems to be for some VIVA network.
    They only two bands apparently.

UMTS

Name Interface
    B1 (2100) UMTS

LTE

Name Interface
    B3 (1800 +) LTE

Would the other bands be disabled in the firmware ?
    If so would it be worth flashing a generic firmware on it ? Anyone have a guide ?

EDIT: Looks like 3 uses these same bands

I have the same Viva from Kuwait & it works perfectly on 3. It also handles voice calls

Discodog wrote: »
    I have the same Viva from Kuwait & it works perfectly on 3. It also handles voice calls

Cool. Did you make any changes bar add the APN?

• Advertisement

Cool. Did you make any changes bar add the APN?

No. I don't remember changing anything. I just put in a 3 PAYG sim & it worked.

three works without or with an incorrect APN and defaults to the settings provided by the 3ireland.ie (phone) APN under those circumstances.

three works without or with an incorrect APN and defaults to the settings provided by the 3ireland.ie (phone) APN under those circumstances.

Yes you are right. I am sure that I didn't do anything :)

Couldn't get online gaming working properly with my previous setup (3 and tp link router)

Is anyone using this setup for that?

Couldn't get online gaming working properly with my previous setup (3 and tp link router)

Is anyone using this setup for that?

More likely its a limitation of the SIM card? Do you get a public IP address when you use the APN 3internet?

More likely its a limitation of the SIM card? Do you get a public IP address when you use the APN 3internet?

Don't really know I'm afraid. I'm assuming there will be carrier NAT ing going on?

Don't really know I'm afraid. I'm assuming there will be carrier NAT ing going on?

You need to be using the APN 3internet, any other APN or a wrong APN will get you a private IP address and carrier NAT.

If you post your IP address found at whatismyip.com I can tell you if its one used by three's NAT servers.

.... just found my list if your IP address is in the range 178.167.254.0 - 178.167.254.255 or 178.167.255.0 - 178.167.255.127 then your stuck with NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

But is it not the case that everyone on 3 is stuck with NAT ?
    If not how do you get a public address?

Cerco wrote: »
    But is it not the case that everyone on 3 is stuck with NAT ?
    If not how do you get a public address?

Depends? Last time I added them all up three had at least 56k IP addresses someone must be getting a public IP.

Its seems to be down to the age of your SIM and the area you are in? I get a public IP address all the time with the correct APN 3internet and a very old prepay SIM card. In fact I have a few broadband SIM cards all at least 4 years old that all get a public IP address. Then there were those that had a public IP and then that changed, that could have been due to them swapping their SIM for a new one or that three had changed the settings on the mast they connect to or even a global setting.

If you can't get a public IP address with a mobile broadband SIM and you are using the APN 3internet you could always try asking three for a public IP address because you want to use an IP camera to monitor something.

• Advertisement

You need to be using the APN 3internet, any other APN or a wrong APN will get you a private IP address and carrier NAT.

If you post your IP address found at whatismyip.com I can tell you if its one used by three's NAT servers.

.... just found my list if your IP address is in the range 178.167.254.0 - 178.167.254.255 or 178.167.255.0 - 178.167.255.127 then your stuck with NAT.

Yup - 178.167.255.42

Advertisement