Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei b593s-22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭lukin

I ordered this yesterday. I hope it lives up to the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm done with mine - didn't give me appreciable benefits where I am

Bought it from here

http://m.ebay.com/itm/282145633577?_mwBanner=1

Took AGES to get here.
    if you can collect in city centre during the day it's yours for €80.

First to reply has dibs.

long_b wrote: »

Bought it from here

Took AGES to get here.

First to reply has dibs.

Got mine today as well and I got no benefit with it. I got it because I wanted to increase the range of my wifi network. I am using meteor mobile broadband with a Huwaei E5377 modem. I have an omni-directional antennae attached to the modem. The TV is in another room and I have a SKY box and Chromecast that is not picking up the wifi network strongly enough. I measured the wifi signal with a wifi Analyser app with the Huwaei E5377 modem and then took the SIM out and stuck it in the B593s-22. I set it up and attached the omni-directional antennae to the B593s-22. I measured the wifi signal from the room again with the new network and there was no difference (in fact it was slightly worse). In speedtest in my browser it was about 1Mbps slower in download than the E5377. I am sending it back and thinking of getting the TP-Link MR3220 instead. That router does not take a SIM card but I can attach the E5377 to it.
    The one thing I was surprised with the B593s-22 was that there was an input for an external antennae but there weren't any antennas for broadcasting the signal (you know, the screw in ones that you get with most routers). I don't see how it could be better than an ordinary modem without those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

long_b wrote: »

Bought it from here

Took AGES to get here.

First to reply has dibs.

Still have it??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

... I got it because I wanted to increase the range of my wifi network... I measured the wifi signal from the room again with the new network and there was no difference... I don't see how it could be better than an ordinary modem without those (external wifi antennas).

This is not the right device to choose to fix a wifi problem.
    Most of us have poor reception without a large modem and external antenna,
    and as you already had an external antenna, it wasn't going to make as much difference.
    The fact that it also has ethernet ports makes it much more flexible though.
    Several of us have added a powerline adapter and wifi kit to get wireless in another room,
    and this plugs in to the Ethernet socket on the B593 or similar.
    You can also plug the Sky box in to a powerline adapter directly and get that heavy usage off your wireless network which helps speed on all other devices.

Try checking your network speed from a computer connected to the box by ethernet cable,
    and you might see it's a fair bit faster than you were getting otherwise.

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for the reply.
    niallb wrote: »
    This is not the right device to choose to fix a wifi problem.
    Most of us have poor reception without a large modem and external antenna,
    and as you already had an external antenna, it wasn't going to make as much difference.
    I thought it would give a better wifi signal in doors, I didn't expect it to improve the reception from the antennae.
    niallb wrote: »
    The fact that it also has ethernet ports makes it much more flexible though.
    Several of us have added a powerline adapter and wifi kit to get wireless in another room,
    and this plugs in to the Ethernet socket on the B593 or similar.
    You can also plug the Sky box in to a powerline adapter directly and get that heavy usage off your wireless network which helps speed on all other devices.
    I'll try that, even though it's more expense. I can return the B593 but I will have to pay for postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

my3cents wrote: »
    Depends? Last time I added them all up three had at least 56k IP addresses someone must be getting a public IP.

Its seems to be down to the age of your SIM and the area you are in? I get a public IP address all the time with the correct APN 3internet and a very old prepay SIM card. In fact I have a few broadband SIM cards all at least 4 years old that all get a public IP address. Then there were those that had a public IP and then that changed, that could have been due to them swapping their SIM for a new one or that three had changed the settings on the mast they connect to or even a global setting.

If you can't get a public IP address with a mobile broadband SIM and you are using the APN 3internet you could always try asking three for a public IP address because you want to use an IP camera to monitor something.

I have a B593s-12 (Unlocked Telekom Speedport LTE II) and am playing around with it, with a 3 AYCE SIM.

The 3internet APN gives me a 92.251.x.x IP, which I presume is a public.

3ireland.ie APN gives me a 178.167.x.x IP. The speeds on both are atrocious, 3 bars with an X-Pol1 mounted in the attic. I suppose I can mount it on my aerial pole but whats the jump after three bars or has anyone actually achieved this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

STB. wrote: »
    I have a B593s-12 (Unlocked Telekom Speedport LTE II) and am playing around with it, with a 3 AYCE SIM.

3ireland.ie APN gives me a 178.167.x.x IP. The speeds on both are atrocious, 3 bars with an X-Pol1 mounted in the attic. I suppose I can mount it on my aerial pole but whats the jump after three bars or has anyone actually achieved this ?

Before you spend too much time on this test at different times of the day and night to see if the problem is just too many other users in the area.

Better off peak speeds and higher than expected upload speeds when download speeds are slow indicate congestion on the local network.

I have just one bar on mine and consistently get speeds of 25 (vodafone) which is good enough for netflix etc.

I suspect your problem isnt signal reception but more likely system congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i have the same sim as you, using a htc 520 desire as a hot spot, yesterday speeds were slow, 1.9 down, today it is 9.1 down, teo bars yeaserday the same as any other day, i am putting yesterdays speed down to the weather, the clouds on the ground, heavy rain and fog, today is bright and clear, i am wondering if i get a fone with a faster processor and more ram would it give me more speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I have just one bar on mine and consistently get speeds of 25 (vodafone) which is good enough for netflix etc.

I suspect your problem isnt signal reception but more likely system congestion.

Once you take the antenna outside, it a different beast altogether.

So many cell sites to choose from. Contention on the main cell sites is quite clearly a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 atrio

I recently purchased an unlocked Huawei B593s-22 on Amazon and have spend the last day or two trying to get it working on the Three network.

The error I keep getting is the following :
    "Connection Failed with Error Code 3254"

When I click the error it provides the following further explanation :

"A problem has occured in the communication between your router and the wireless network. Please provide customer supporter with the following information. Code: 0X00000CB6 Details: network check fail"

Symptoms
    =======
    The network seems to connect for a short time and the status goes to Connected, and then it drops after a relatively short time with the Error message above. The brief connection is only ever 3G, despite the fact that I am in a decent 4G coverage area, and have 4G on my iphone and other other phones in most parts of my house. The connection keeps re-trying and dropping.

APN setup is 3ireland.ie and data roaming is set to on.

Things I've tried
    ==========
    - Multiple reboots
    - Factory re-set
    - 3 different SIMs,
    my iphone bill pay Three SIM
    a Three Pay as you Go ALL YOU CAN EAT Sim and
    a Three Pay as you Go Broadband SIM
    - All with similar results

Tech Details
    ========
    Model : B593s-22
    Hardware Version : Ver.B
    Firmware version : V200R001B236D30SP00C00
    Firmware Build Time : Sep 30 2013 / 10:29:34

Anyone come across an issue like this ?
    Are there any particular setting adjustments to the router I should be making ?
    All guidance appreciated,
    Cheers
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Under network connections is the Profile set to "Auto"?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

Unfortunately, it looks like like you might have a faulty unit.

The following is the configuration for Three from the Huawei's web interface after a factory reset:
    1. Go into the Internet menu at the top, then APN Management in the left.
    2. Create an APN Profile with the following settings:
      • Profile name: 3ireland
      • APN: 3ireland.ie
      • User name: (blank)
      • Password: (blank)
      • Authentication: None
    3. Click 'Submit', then go into 'Network connection' on the left.
    4. Set the Connection fields as follows:
      • Network mode: Auto
      • Connection mode: Always on
      • Profile: 3ireland
      • PDP type: IPv4
      • Data roaming: Enable
    5. Then click 'Submit'.

In case it is falsely detecting an external antenna (assuming none is attached), go into the System menu at the top, into Antenna Settings on the left and change the Antenna drop-down to 'Built-in', then click 'Submit'. If do have an antenna attached, try it without the external antennas attached.

You can also try forcing 4G mode by selecting '4G' for the network mode drop-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 iwantbroadband

Jim,

I was playing around with my unit last night and I experienced the same thing. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but it was when I was in Internet > Network Connection, and was changing the Network Mode and Connection Mode. I *think* I turned off data roaming (unticked the box) and this is when this happened.

Maybe try turning data roaming on, and forcing 4G only - that works for me anyway.

I am most grateful to editorSean and others for replies.

editorSean - I had tried most of this already, but one thing that I did change based on your reply was the APN profile name (not APN destination!) to 3ireland from 3internet and surprisingly this seemed to make a difference for the PAYG Broadband SIM in that it connected and stayed connected for a long time (over an hour) but only on 3g never 4g.

Both other sims which are both three sims that are 4g enabled but were installed previously in my iPhone and Huawei p5 phones still connect on 3g for a short time only to disconnect a very short time later with the 3254 network check error mentioned in my original post.
    I also switched the antenna setting to in-built from auto but this does not seem to have had an impact.

Ok so having connected for an extended time on 3G via the PAYG broadband sim, I tried multiple times with reboots etc to change the Network Mode from Auto to 4G to force it onto the 4G network. To no avail it kept retrying and ultimately coming back with the 3254 error.
    I wondered whether the Broadband SIM itself might have been from an old batch, and might not have been a 4G capable sim, so I popped it into my iPhone and it immediately connected to 4G network on the phone when placed right next to the B593 router proving that both the sim and the 4g network coverage are likely not the issue here.
    Since, plugging the same PAYG broadband sim into the router again it has connected each time to 3g only and then very quickly dropped the network again with the same 3254 error !!
    So no more stable 3G connection as before !

In summary, 3 different sims (2 phone sims) and 1 payg broadband sim, manage to connect to the three network briefly and then drop the connection. The payg broadband sim which had managed a stable 3g connection for over an hour now drops the connection immediately also. This dropping seems to have occurred after I popped the sim into my iPhone to confirm it was 4g enabled. I may be grasping at straws here but the sims all seem to connect to the network briefly and then get kicked off the network. I am wondering if Three has counter measures in place for unlocked routers where by a sim that was first used on a phone is throttled to be rejected on a router device ... anyone experienced this before ?

All thoughts and ideas welcome ...

What happens if you set the B593-22 to 3G only. Do you get a stable connection? I had to set mine to 3G only because there wasn't a stable 4g service in my area. The masts in my area have recently been upgraded & I can now leave the B593 set on Auto & it is picking up the 4g service with 4 or 5 bars.

I have encountered one instance before where someone could only get Three to work on their phone, but not their router. In their case, I think it was a range limit as it seems like Three has a shorter range limit for phones than it does for routers, which I'll explain.

The person I tried helping was in a house midway between Kilcar and Carrick and had an existing O2 broadband dongle that picked up the 3G signal from across the bay, probably from an O2/Three mast on Truskmore. As they were on the old O2 plan, Three required them to sign up to a new contract to avail of the larger 60GB package, so they went ahead with it along with a new Huawei B315 router provided by Three.

On the very first day the Huawei B315 arrived, they said it worked fine, but then gave connection failures on the second day. They called Three, who said that their mast was offline for upgrades as it was being upgraded to 4G. However, without any luck connecting over the next few days, they asked if I could have a look. The router was showing 'O2 Ireland 3G' in the GUI, but constantly failing to connect, even with roaming enabled.

Surprisingly, their old O2 dongle continued to work fine. As the dongle was unlocked, I tried their new Three SIM in it and surprisingly it failed to connect just like their B315 router. I then drove back to my house and took my own Huawei B593s-22 with. I had iD Mobile broadband at the time and just like her B315 router, my router refused to connect in either 3G or 4G mode. I don't recall the error message, but would be surprised if it was the same. When I put the SIM in my phone, it would connect fine in 3G mode.

About a week later, they called me to say that they got no further with Three who tried talking them through hard resetting the router, different configurations, etc. They were even surprised when visitors dropped by that one of them with a Three phone was getting 4G in their house, yet their new B315 router couldn't connect in 4G, let alone 3G. In the end, they returned the router within the 14 day cooling off period.

Just in case you are experiencing the same issue, I would suggest taking your router to a friend or relative's house in another area to see if it works. If you get Meteor 4G in your area, another option would be to order a Meteor broadband SIM and try it. The SIM costs €1 and comes with with €3 of credit (150MB data), which should be sufficient to see whether it connects in 4G mode. If it does work, Meteor's prepay plan is €20 for 15GB of data (lasts 30 days) or €30 for a 50GB of data (lasts 180 days).

editorsean wrote: »
    I have encountered one instance before where someone could only get Three to work on their phone, but not their router. .....

APN?

APN?
    I did try the various APNs at the time - 3internet, 3broadband.ie and 3ireland.ie. Their broadband SIM automatically set the APN as 3internet by default.

• Advertisement

I did try the various APNs at the time - 3internet, 3broadband.ie and 3ireland.ie. Their broadband SIM automatically set the APN as 3internet by default.

I'm fairly sure only two exist 3internet and 3ireland.ie any other combinations and typos default to the same settings as the phone APN 3ireland.ie.

I've never had a SIM set the APN, must look into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I've never had a SIM set the APN, must look into that?

I've used an unlocked mifi device in a few countries with local SIMs and I think all set up the APN automatically. All came with instructions how to set it up manually but there never was any need.

A few years ago when I was travelling around the country a lot, I had multiple APN profiles set up. For some reason with Three you could go from one mast to another with no problem and then the next mast wouldn't connect. A refresh/reboot wouldn't do anything. Change APN and connected again. I had the three that editorsean had and I think there was a couple more that I found online. But they may be offline now :( It was at the stage that when I'd see a certain house I'd change APN.

It would seem that my Three SIM automatically sets up an APN of nbs.ie with Authentication set as Chap.

Again thanks for the helpful feedback and suggestions, here is the update from my side.

Try Router in another 4G area.
    ===================
    This was a great suggestion editorSean, and was timely, as I was travelling to relations in Naas over the holidays, I felt sure that 4G coverage would be good. According to my iPhone the coverage where I was staying was pretty close to the same as at home ... that is 2/3 bars of 4G coverage. Of course signal bars are not always great indicators of real coverage as at home in West Cork, I get a steady 15/20 MB Download on my 2 bars on the iPhone, but in Naas where my coverage was 2 bars the Download was 30/40 MB. No big surprise there I guess !

OK so I power up my B593s-22 router with the 3 PAYG Broadband SIM in it and it connects instantly to 4G with 3/4 bars and speeds of 30 MB Download. The connection remains completely stable over 24 hours. To ensure this wasn't a fluke, I tried the same AYCE Three Sim as previously and it instantly connected to 4G also and was stable. Finally, I tried my iPhone Bill Pay 3 Sim and again the 4G connection popped on instantly and was totally stable.

In Summary, the 3 different sims, and the B593s-22 router with precisely the same settings, refused to connect to 4G at all at home and were unstable connections even at 3G but when the same SIMS were used in Naas all connected and were stable, the conclusion is obvious ... The issue is not the router, or the SIMs, the issue is the Network 4G coverage at my home.

CONCLUSION : The Error 3254 refers to a Network Coverage issue and not a router or Sim problem.

editorSean's experience/suggestion of Three having a longer range limit for 4G phones versus 4G broadband routers is borne out in my situation. I have been using my iphone in 4G tethered to my PC via usb and getting consistent speeds of 15/20MB this was the reason I ordered the B593s-22 after reading the good reports on boards.ie about this router. In my naiveity, I thought that a good iPhone 4g data signal would indicate that a dedicated 4G router would actually enhance the data rates I was getting. It turns out the opposite is true ... Doh !

3G Connection Stability - To answer one other suggestion made , when I change the router settings to 3G only my connection is totally stable, the Auto mode results in constant dropping even when it connects at 3G. I guess the Auto mode results in constant polling of the 3 and 4g networks which clearly impacts the 3G connection stability. My house has almost direct line of sight of our nearby 3G mast and the 3G coverage has always been superb. However, 4G is available at the rear of my house from another 3 mast, and there is I think almost a duel going on between the 3G mast at the front and the 4G coverage at the rear resulting in these dropouts, but I am only surmising that !

NEXT STEPS
    ========
    I'm in a quandry, as the 3G connection speeds are no better than my DSL landline and therefore it does not justify keeping this router. So I have two options 1) Return the Router and 2) Purchase Antennae to boost the routers signal reach.

Antennae for B593s-22 - I'd appreciate advice on :
    1) Whether people have experienced a sufficient boost in coverage from 3g up to 4G by adding antennae ?
    2) The best antennae to purchase and rough price range ?
    3) Any particular advice on the above scenario would be great also.

Before considering an external antenna, see if you can get your router to work on 4G outside to completely rule out indoor conditions such as 'E' coated windows or other interference/obstacles preventing it connecting in 4G. When it's dry outside, change the router's network mode '4G', then hold it outside an upstairs window/skylight (if available) or take the router outside (using with an extension lead). Turn off/on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to fully boot. If the circle remains red, then try another side of the house.

If you cannot get the router to connect in 4G outside or held out a window, then an external antenna will unlikely help, particularly if the range limit is enforced by the cell tower. With GSM (2G), the range limit is fixed at 35km, whereas with LTE, it can be set by the individual mast and it seems like Three has a shorter range limit for routers/modems than it has for phones like I mentioned above.

Hi editorsean, how do Three determine that it a modem/router rather than a phone that the mast is transmitting to.

It likely goes by the device's IMEI number. Similarly, the Three UK network goes by the IMEI number to check whether a phone SIM is in a phone and blocks Internet access if not.

It does seem to be a rather strange limitation here, probably to reduce the number of data-heavy devices in fringe reception areas where the weaker signal would place additional burden on the network retransmitting lost data packets, etc.

Again great advice editorSean on checking for reception before purchasing antennae. Thanks !

I took your advice, and was able to test my router for 4G signal about 10 feet outside the house, and in a number of positions around my property. The bad news is that even outside the router did not pick up 4G in any form unfortunately :( Based on your advice, it would seem almost pointless to purchase antennae either internal or external.

Based on my experience, good 4G PHONE Coverage does not equal good 4G ROUTER Coverage. I would recommend that no-one should rely on a good phone 4G signal as a reliable indicator that a 4G router will have good signal. Before purchasing an unlocked router, see if you can borrow a router from a friend, or take one on 14 day approval from your network provider before committing to any contract.

The story has a bit of a happy ending, a good friend of mine has been long suffering with DSL speeds of 0.6 MB (I kid you not !) ... Given that my house does not have have decent enough 4G ROUTER coverage, I decided to pop over to his and plug in the router there and see if it would work for him. PRESTO ... he now has 20-25 MB Downloads and thinks I walk on water !!

Thanks to all for your good input on this and in particular to editorSean, very much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Three has a shorter range limit for routers/modems than it has for phones like I mentioned above.

Thats really bizarre.

Wonder if that's why my SCC isnt coming up, they don't recognise the chinese OUI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭spectre

I ordered this from the Kuwait based ebay seller over 7 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived. Is this normal?

Advertisement