Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent pub in the city centre

Options
  • 12-09-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

My significant other and I are staying in Dublin tomorrow night on the south side of the river. Can anyone suggest a decent pub where we wont be ripped off for the price of two drinks. Maybe im being ignorant but you do see this things pop up on the internet every now and again, pubs in temple bar charge 7 euro a pint, scandalous. Any suggestions?

I did a bit of googling and came up with O'reilly's bar dublin, seems to have good drink promotions and seems lively enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Can't go wrong with No Name Bar on Fade Street for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Can't go wrong with No Name Bar on Fade Street for a couple.

I beg to differ, its an ok place but rather expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Was in Dame Tavern the other week. Great craic and drink was ok priced. Having said that I am more interested in the atmosphere than the price if push came to shove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7LjE9PKrwY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

MacTurcaills is nice and it's cheap too. also across the road from O'reilly's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 JimBobPlayer

City centre pubs on saturday nights are full of young wans and young fellas.
    The bar in the Westin would be nice for a couple. That or Murphys if you're looking for an olde worlde pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

J W Sweetman's

There are other pub type places south of the river. Up George's Street. Start off from the central bank, go right for 20 metres, then left up George's St. Then immediate left and you're into old town Dublin. A bit pretentious. Pubs though.
    If I was your other half? I'd prefer the Westin for a nice quiet drink.
    Or Temple Bar for the music. But you pay for the music in the price of the drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should say that we would be happy with a pub where we could just sit and chat, doesn't necessarily have to have music. Just a place we can have a few drinks that isn't a dive but also wont rip us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Long Hall is the place you want to go though. Great pint of guinness too.

Impossible to find somewhere to sit down in the more popular places. As I said, the Westin. You'll pay through the nose though.

• Advertisement

Be warned - city centre on a Saturday night resembles one great big pick up joint. Packed, jammed, drunken people, nowhere to stand let alone sit.
    The Westin. I'm telling you.

How long have you been working in The Westin??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

For sitting and chatting maybe the Bailey - South Anne Street think off Grafton St.

Slattsy wrote: »
    How long have you been working in The Westin??

PMSL! Haha, if only you knew!
    I know Temple Bar, O'Reillys, The Westin, The Long Hall etc. intimately.
    I also know the City Centre of a Saturday night.
    You cannot get standing room. Unless you plonk yourself on a stool in Murphy's from about 2pm.
    Murphy's is what the OP is looking for, but it will be jammed.
    What his other half is looking for, is probably the Westin.

O'Donohues on Baggot St. is another good spot, again, if you can get a seat.

The OP has to accept that the price of a pint in the city centre is going to be at least 20% higher than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Mate, forget the seat and forget the price. O'Reilly's and MacTurcaills are abominations of bars.

It's hard to judge where to send you without knowing your age bracket but I would highly recommend the Dame Tavern as was mentioned earlier. If there is no rain, that lane will be packed with everyone having a good time. It's like being in a different country. Then when that dies down, walk the 8 steps to Stag's Head (very good Guinness), head downstairs and enjoy the trad!

If you are having a really good time and fancy a dance (after 12), take another 30 steps south and go to Yukio! Japanese restaurant that turns into a disco bar after hours...

Mid 20's is the age bracket

It's Mulligan's I'm thinking of - not Murphys!

Mid 20's is the age bracket

Go up around Baggot Street. Start in The Dawson Lounge and wander from The Shelbourne down to Toners maybe? Bit of a pub crawl :)

• Advertisement

Perfect, you won't regret going to Dame Lane, especially the Dame Tavern. Its a small bit cramped but that just forces you outside- where you should have been all along!

Tell your OH to watch her bag though..

Perfect, you won't regret going to Dame Lane, especially the Dame Tavern. Its a small bit cramped but that just forces you outside- where you should have been all along!

Tell your OH to watch her bag though..

Pickpockets a plenty?

Pickpockets a plenty?

Unfortunately, yes. Was chatting up some bird there a couple of weeks ago and she just turned and ran. Didn't know what I had done..

She came back 30mins later and told me someone had grabbed her phone out of her back pocket. Think she was put out I didn't help her chase the thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Some of the pubs on Baggot Street are great. I'm a big fan of O'Donoghues and Doheny & Nesbitts. For a smashing pint of Guinness I'd recommend Hartigan's on Leeson Street but I think most women would NOT be happy there! Wexford/Camden Street has some great bars too, although you're moving away from the city centre there. Against The Grain for your craft beers, Solas for cocktails, Flannerys for your late drink, Cassidys for a nice quiet pint, Bleeding Horse for another good selection of beers and nice pub grub.

If you're looking for something very central, Doyles beside Pearse Street Garda station is a nice bar. You could also have a look in the Exchequer for a cocktail which is at the bottom of South William Street. There are loads of bars on South William Street actually, but they can be pricey. At the top of it then there is Peter's Pub which is lovely but a bit small, the Hairy Lemon for a more lively spot, and Sheehan's and Neary's are also in the same area and are nice. I also love going to Bar 37 on Dawson Street too, they have a lovely whiskey bar out the back and a slightly older crowd (mid 20's+).

You will not be stuck for a pub in Dublin, but I think I've given a fair selection of loads of good bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Another vote here for Cassidys Camden st - great pub, good atmosphere, mixed crowd, and you have a good chance of getting a seat.

Also the whole Dame Tavern/Stags Head idea is a good one too, especially as the weather is going to be good (suitable for standing around outside).

Some pubs are packed and pricey and messy but in general there are loads of great Pubs in town to suit every taste. Enjoy.

And don't dare sit in a quiet hotel on a Sat night in Dublin if you are in your 20s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

A little bit out from the city centre but Rody Bolands in Rathmines might fit the bill too. Plenty of seating, good atmosphere and good staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I did a bit of googling and came up with O'reilly's bar dublin, seems to have good drink promotions and seems lively enough.

Not sure if you're aware, but O'Reillys has the Club Hell rock/metal night on Saturdays. It can be a little hit and miss for rock fans, but the promotions and specific event nights are good.

If you're not a rock fan, I would avoid it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Jack Nealons and then a few late ones in Sin E?

I wouldn't bother with the Westin, it has no atmosphere apart from at Christmas.

Im sure everyone is dying to know where I ended up. Well as many of you might have guessed, I was up to see Ant and Dec in the Point(excellent show, can't recommend highly enough).

So before the show we had one in the Brew Dock pub on Amiens Street. This turned out to be a craft beer pub, so naturally I didn't recognise any of the beer and went with the bar tenders suggestion. Nice pub, could stay all day working your way through these new beers. Only downside is the slightly pretentious vibe from the place, particularly when my girlfriend asked if the had Coors Light and was informed that they only sell "Good beer".

Afterwards we ended up in O'Sullivan's Bar on westmoreland street. Lovely little bar, friendly staff, we were able to secure seat, and there was music for a few hours which was excellent. Very cosy bar which I will frequent again.

• Advertisement

Im sure everyone is dying to know where I ended up. Well as many of you might have guessed, I was up to see Ant and Dec in the Point(excellent show, can't recommend highly enough).

So before the show we had one in the Brew Dock pub on Amiens Street. This turned out to be a craft beer pub, so naturally I didn't recognise any of the beer and went with the bar tenders suggestion. Nice pub, could stay all day working your way through these new beers. Only downside is the slightly pretentious vibe from the place, particularly when my girlfriend asked if the had Coors Light and was informed that they only sell "Good beer".

Afterwards we ended up in O'Sullivan's Bar on westmoreland street. Lovely little bar, friendly staff, we were able to secure seat, and there was music for a few hours which was excellent. Very cosy bar which I will frequent again.

:rolleyes:
    Yup, you'll get that with those craft beer lads. They dont get their nickname from no where.
    I avoid those places like the plague, even though they have 1 or 2 nice beers.

O'Sullivans is a good wee spot alright :)

Advertisement