Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Cards - Recorded on Till

Options
  • 12-09-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Trying to figure this out!

Have been told that fuel cards allow a customer to purchase their fuel at a price lower than on the forecourt i.e. price set by fuel company etc. So, forecourt may say €1.40/ltr while charge by Fuel Card may be €1.30/ltr (example only, don't get excited).

How does the till record this i.e. a sale has gone through, similar to a Credit Card, but the price is less than quoted on the forecourt - can the till record the lower price? I assume it can't because the price is known by the card provider not the shop owner - the shop owner merely gets a commission?

Does this lead to a situation where the sales recorded on a till are overstated - leading to a cash difference and slight overstatement of vat on sales?

If anyone could shed any light, bugging me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I would assume the till records it as:
    Sales €1.30
    Discount €0.10
    Total €1.40

VAT is payable on the €1.30, the discount would be recorded as an expense in the Profit & Loss account.

Advertisement