Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted / Share] Renting in Dublin first time

Options
  • 12-09-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am move to Dublin for a job will be looking for either a house or apartment share. I only want to start looking when new employer has completed there background checks am worried about geting a right place to live in time for the start date for the job how long would it typical take to get a place in Dublin with the shortage of rental accommodation at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Congrats, but is it a statement youre making or do you have a question for Boardies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 luckyglen88

Sorry did not present it good questions is how long would it take to organise good shared accommodation have never had to do this before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It depends on the area and the impression you make. You can always stay in a hostel if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Depends on your expectations, who youre willing to live it and where, how much your budget is..maybe stay in hotel or b&B or commute and take the time to find the right place for you.

Only want a safe secure place with no students or couples was looking at ashtown castleknock, malahide drumcondra with train into work any opinions on those ares budget would be 500 euro a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

I haven't had to look for rental accommodation in Dublin for a while but my experience was always that decent places get taken up very quickly once they are advertised. You really want to be sure of the area which can also be tricky if you don't have inside info as X street might be fine but Y street two blocks away could resemble some kind of post apocalyptic landscape. It can be quite stressful looking but you don't want to panic and sign up for something that you later find out doesn't suit so maybe the advice above re hostels or something short term might be the way to go while you find your feet. A house share might also be a better idea than taking on a lease on your own as it could be easier to find someone to take over for you should it all go pear shaped. Good luck with the new job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Only want a safe secure place with no students or couples was looking at ashtown castleknock, malahide drumcondra with train into work any opinions on those ares budget would be 500 euro a month

Castleknock station is actually closer to Blanchardstown than Castleknock ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look on rent.ie, daft.ie for rent,
    see whats avaidable,
    be ready to pay a large deposit .
    IF a flat is advertised on monday,you need to see it on monday.
    By shared accomodation,
    do you mean sharing a house ,or apartment,?

Some people rent out 1 room in a house,
    eg the owner lives in the house.
    A few years ago i got a flat , bedsit , for 80 e per week, i had to pay, around 500 euro deposit in cash ,in dublin,
    on top of that i paid around 3 euro per week, on electricity
    each flat had its own, esb meter.

Now for every flat theres like ten people looking for one.

Make sure and get a full receipt for the deposit you pay.
    signed by the landlord .
    Maybe post here, where you are working,
    it may be easier to get there by bus,or luas .

Thanks every one for your replays will be working in city centre between abbey street and ifsc luas and Connolly station are near by. Will be sharing accommodation with a preference for apartment I don't want to start looking till all the background checks are completed by the employer just in case as I still have to hand in notice to my current employer but that just a week as I'm on a temp contract which was going to end by the end of the year

Well then there,s loads of apartments for rent ,in the city centre ,or on bus , luas,routes into the city centre,
    I can,t think of a reason to use a train to get to work,
    unless you have a ticket paid for by your employer.
    IN general apartments on northside are cheaper than southside of dublin,
    but rent varys by area,and exact location

Theres a website for irish users, to look and find, for flats, sharing units in ireland.
    You have to register to use it.
    http://ie.easyroommate.com

There,s not many apartments in drumcondra,malahide, plenty of apartments all over the city centre.

Theres ads there room to rent, in apartments, etc in dublin,
    And you can contact landlords after you register on the website.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link Riclad

There,s a shortage of rental units ,
    in dublin, try and find a 2bed apartment,
    eg rent with 1 other person,
    who works full time 5days per week ,on a good wage.
    eg someone who can afford to pay their share of the rent, bills,
    many jobs have a forum, or noticeboard.on a wall.
    flats sharing ,
    flatmate wanted ,or room for rent .
    Usually its 50/50 on esb,heating,gas,water, on the bills, for 2 tenants.
    eg if 1 room is significantly bigger than bedroom 2 , rent may be 40-60 ratio.

Advertisement