Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone line wire to cat5e

Options
  • 12-09-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I was advised by eircom technician to replace my existing wire at home as its old and could have a lot of noise.

I got cat5e cable and now I am in a little delimma. I am trying to figure out wiring colours and I have looked over few diagrams but I haven't seen anything similar to mine.

At the moment from eircom side I have orange and white connected to my old wire which is to white and yellow but cat5 wires are more than that.

I am pretty familiar with wiring but this is just confusing.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is this just going to a modem?

The cat5 will have 4 pairs, the eircom drop likely has 2(1 pair active). Just connect the live pair from the existing line to any pair on the cat5(eg Blue & Blue+White) and at the far end connect them to the correct pins on the socket or RJ11

rj-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

I am going to connect it to a phone socket and from there a modem will be installed.

Let's say I connect both blue/white and blue to the box. At the far end what would be considered L1 and L2 from color prospective.

ED E wrote: »
    Is this just going to a modem?

The cat5 will have 4 pairs, the eircom drop likely has 2(1 pair active). Just connect the live pair from the existing line to any pair on the cat5(eg Blue & Blue+White) and at the far end connect them to the correct pins on the socket or RJ11

rj-11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just the same pair. You could wire a second to the extra line, but nobody has two lines now.

There is a polarity to the line, A is 48v and B is 0v IIRC, but a multimeter will tell you. In order to get the best DSL sync possible you want to make a really clean joint at the termination, as little untwisting as possible. Wire any extensions from the new NTU, not from that termination pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Thank you, all working now. Appreciate your help :-)
    ED E wrote: »
    Just the same pair. You could wire a second to the extra line, but nobody has two lines now.

There is a polarity to the line, A is 48v and B is 0v IIRC, but a multimeter will tell you. In order to get the best DSL sync possible you want to make a really clean joint at the termination, as little untwisting as possible. Wire any extensions from the new NTU, not from that termination pictured.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The polarity does not matter any more, all devices have diodes in them to 'rectify' that.
    Just the centre pair needs to be wired, normally the white/blue
    Use the same coloured pair as they are twisted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

if any of your friends are a sparky get them to do it.

they should have the right tools to do it and know what they are doing

Advertisement