Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting an Apple tree

• 12-09-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, My Mum's birthday is coming up and she's said she'd love an apple tree int he back garden. I have no idea where to start on this and i doubt it's as straight forward as digging a hole and throwing some seeds in.
    So i'd be very grateful for some advice on what type to pick and how to go about planting it and would i need some professional help?? And what the aftercare might be, i'm not too sure what she wants the apples for i'd imagine baking but can't be sure.

Anyway any help our advice would be great as I'm lost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I think you should go to a good garden centre and ask their advice. They will also recommend a good variety and what rootstock will suit your garden (this determines how big it will grow). Most apple trees need another apple tree in the general area to pollinate them. Maybe there is one in the neighbouring gardens. Again the garden centre will advise, you might for instance be able to plant a flowering crab apple as a pollinator. If you go for an eating apple I would highly recommend a variety called Laxton Superb. Lovely crisp and sweet apple in my opinion.
    You can get discount apple trees but I think it's worth spending an extra tenner for a good quality tree that will suit your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If its going to be one tree it will need to be a self pollinator.
    I'd recommend James Grieve, we just picked ours yesterday and the fruit is delicious. Most garden centers will have this variety here. November is a great time to be planting and that's just around the corner so now is a good time to do your research.
    I would check if she wants it for baking or eating as pies made with cookers (like Bramley) taste far nicer in my opinion that made with eating apples. The James Grieve does make nice pies as is quite tart in taste but doesn't store very well so something to keep in mind.
    Better ask her if she wants them for cooking and or eating and if she plans to store them to use as long as possible after picking.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

and tasting the apple before buying the plant is a good idea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Most of the better tasting apple trees are not self pollinating (must be crossed pollinated by another specified variety), so you may need to choose carefully and select 2 trees for planting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

aesthetically speaking it is always better to plant in three's :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement