Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running shoes - Advice on alternative

Options
  • 12-09-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

In on the look for a new pair if runners...doing a 10k in a few months.

I have a slight supination so I was recommended the Nike Pegasus http://www.elverys.ie/mobile/Product/nike-zoom-pegasus-31-mens-running-shoe-black/227176/0000000609) among others. They were quite comfortable but abiy above my budget. I was hoping to order some different pairs from elverys to try them on at home.

Is it possible to recommended a good running shoe for someone with slight supination and if so what might they be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Hi LO I'm not much of a believer in motion control runners. I've always worn cushioned neutral runners. I think Pegasus are neutral as well anyway. If they are out of your price range try Reeboks. If you shop around online you can get something like Nike Vomeros reduced - on wiggle. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A supinator should be in as cushioned a shoe as possible. You might find something in the Elverys own brand that is priced within your budget. I've no insight to how they square up to the normal running brands but might be worth checking out on a budget. Otherwise Lidl or Aldi do runners from time to time might suit to get you started with training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ironmonkey wrote: »
    Hi LO I'm not much of a believer in motion control runners. I've always worn cushioned neutral runners. I think Pegasus are neutral as well anyway. If they are out of your price range try Reeboks. If you shop around online you can get something like Nike Vomeros reduced - on wiggle. Good luck.
    AKW wrote: »
    A supinator should be in as cushioned a shoe as possible. You might find something in the Elverys own brand that is priced within your budget. I've no insight to how they square up to the normal running brands but might be worth checking out on a budget. Otherwise Lidl or Aldi do runners from time to time might suit to get you started with training.

Thanks folks...the reason I am looking at Elverys is because I have a gift voucher for them. I'm sure I could get better value elsewhere! I'll pop in to them check out the more cushioned shoes that they have.

that's not a bad price for the pegs at the moment - 70 euro. won't get many cheaper runners at elverys. they are not a bad runner if you're looking for a cushioned shoe.

glasso wrote: »
    that's not a bad price for the pegs at the moment - 70 euro. won't get many cheaper runners at elverys. they are not a bad runner if you're looking for a cushioned shoe.

They are actually 105e in store, online doesn't have my size! Will see how funds are come pay day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Runners are for most people the most expensive bit of gear that you absolutely require to run. You can pick up shorts socks and technical t shirt for next to nothing these days. It's worth it therefore to invest in decent runners. There are many who will say that all the tech in runners is crap, (and I agree about motion control) but I think if you have to spend a few quid on decent cushioned runners it may save cost at the Physio if running on crap runners.

ironmonkey wrote: »
    Runners are for most people the most expensive bit of gear that you absolutely require to run. You can pick up shorts socks and technical t shirt for next to nothing these days. It's worth it therefore to invest in decent runners. There are many who will say that all the tech in runners is crap, (and I agree about motion control) but I think if you have to spend a few quid on decent cushioned runners it may save cost at the Physio if running on crap runners.

Yep, I guess you are right. Will wait a couple of weeks and get those Pegasus I think

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

LowOdour wrote: »
    Yep, I guess you are right. Will wait a couple of weeks and get those Pegasus I think

Im a big fan of the puma Faas 500 - they are neutral(so if your a bad sup. they may not suit) low heel drop and decent cushioning at the same time.
    they are designed to encourage forefoot striking
    A snug shoe, not too spongey, firm but not hard and very light at the same time

I have been told several times in shops(Elverys, AK and in the UK) that I am a pronator but 5 pairs of faas 500 (+ 1pair of TR300's)later and I have had no problems so personally I tend to take that advice with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Rantan wrote: »
    Im a big fan of the puma Faas 500 - they are neutral(so if your a bad sup. they may not suit) low heel drop and decent cushioning at the same time.
    they are designed to encourage forefoot striking
    A snug shoe, not too spongey, firm but not hard and very light at the same time

I have been told several times in shops(Elverys, AK and in the UK) that I am a pronator but 5 pairs of faas 500 (+ 1pair of TR300's)later and I have had no problems so personally I tend to take that advice with a pinch of salt

+1 to this.

A serious good shoe, like the 300s. Funnily enough though I am yet to be convinced by the 600s.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

came close to picking up the 300s a couple of weeks ago as my DCM shoe, felt really nice...stuck with the 500's in the end just to be safe - will defo go with the 300s next time - are the OK as a marathon/distance shoe do you reckon?

Saying that about the 300's though - I panicked the last time I was in AK a month or two ago - they didn't have the 500's in my size so I came out with a pair of Mizuno Wave Universe 4...seriously thought I would use them for DCM! Have ran up to 10m in them though and love them, do all my shorter/fast runs in them now

Tried the 600's once and didn't like them either..i think they are a support shoe so are not flat like the others..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There is a 600s which is 12mm guidance shoe, the 600 and 300 are neutral 8mm and 500 neutral 4mm. Different cushioning through out. 300 / 200 & 100 would be the lightweight tempo trainer / race shoe.

600 and 500 are the plusher cushioned training shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Rantan wrote: »
    came close to picking up the 300s a couple of weeks ago as my DCM shoe, felt really nice...stuck with the 500's in the end just to be safe - will defo go with the 300s next time - are the OK as a marathon/distance shoe do you reckon?

I would say so. I have done plenty of long stuff in them with no problems. The plan at the moment is to use them in the marathon.

Managed to pick up a pair of the recommended Nike Peagasus for 65 euro, reduced on littlewoods sale. Should keep me in good stead for my 10k!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Managed to pick up a pair of the recommended Nike Peagasus for 65 euro, reduced on littlewoods sale. Should keep me in good stead for my 10k!

Had them as my first pair for serious running. Couldn't fault them.

shergar22 wrote: »
    Had them as my first pair for serious running. Couldn't fault them.

I doubt yours were pink though....I'm using the line "it takes a real man to wear pink". Will test drive them on Thursday hopefully

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/nike-zoom-pegasus-31-trainers-redblackwhite/1428945808.prd?_requestid=515603

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

I doubt yours were pink though....I'm using the line "it takes a real man to wear pink". Will test drive them on Thursday hopefully

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/nike-zoom-pegasus-31-trainers-redblackwhite/1428945808.prd?_requestid=515603

Manly black!! You'll be plenty visible as the evenings get darker! good thinking

Advertisement