Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broth mix

Options
  • 12-09-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi I've seen broth mix in lidl and tesco just wondering how do go about making it into soup, stews etc apart from what's in the packeting
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't quite understand your question. Make the broth as per the instructions & add it to whatever you are making in the relevant proportions.

If you can give us the recipe you are working with it would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think "Broth Mix" is a mix of red lentils and barley, with no specific instructions on the packet.

OP, you'd make a broth by sweating off some root veg and an onion in oil on a medium heat for a few minutes in a large pot with the lid on, then add some herbs (parsley usually, nothing too pungent, fresh if you can get it), then add about a litre of chicken stock and the Broth Mix, bring to the boil then simmer for an hour or so.

That's a basic broth or soup, I think the idea with broth is not to blend it, leave it chunky and the liquid would be clear-ish.

Add some leftover chicken and/or ham.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As a general rule when adding pearl barley or what used to be called Soup Mix (a packet of barley, lentils and the odd split pea) stew or soup, I add a handful to the pot or casserole dish. Don't be tempted to add a second handful or it will soak up too much of the liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks ! For the replies

Advertisement