Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moxie Republic Adventure Race

Options
  • 12-09-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone doing this next Saturday ?
    It will be my first adventure race so I'm looking forward to it. I've not kayaked in a long while so expecting to lose time there.
    I have most of the gear on the check list but can't get my hands on a whistle.
    Does anyone know where I can pick one up ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Tesco !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Tesco and Argos are both good bets for a whistle: alternatively, most sports shops should have one. Which course are you doing? I'm signed up for the Mini - I could probably manage the mid size course, but when I signed up there was a possibility that I'd have to cycle out to the race. Driving now, though, so should be good.

I'm expecting to do badly on the kayaks too - I did another adventure race earlier in the year, and I was fourth on the bike, eighth on the run and seventeenth on the kayak!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I was hoping to get a lesson in this weekend on the kayaks but I'm booked up.
    As long as it's a straight run across the lake I should be grand, turning the kayak will take me an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Some of the jackets or backpacks will have a whistle built in, just check your kit for that first. We were guilty of worrying about whistles earlier this year until we realsied the orange plastic bit on the strap was a resuce whistle :)

They seem to be fairly strict on the site so I'll get it to be on the safe side. I have a spare survival blanket if anyone is stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

I've just been looking at signing up today. I'm kind of tempted to do the 40km, I'll probably be going solo. I've only done 1 adventure race a few years ago and that was as a team. Anything to worry about when going solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

Peck, if you did an AR in a team then more than likely you were doing a proper adventure race . This is just a simple multisports race, with a set marked course. So you should have nothing to worry about and find it a doddle in comparison to the real thing.

Going solo myself, mates are doing the Donadea Duathlon but I fancied a change. Anyone know what time waves start ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

The Moxie Pro looks like a race for running shoes and cages, rather than changing into cycle shoes for bike sections.

Anyone know what the climbs are like? I have a 53/39 crankset, im hoping it will get me around.

Also there wasn't huge numbers doing this in 2013, approx 200, is there a reason its not well attended.

The Moxie Pro looks like a race for running shoes and cages, rather than changing into cycle shoes for bike sections.

Anyone know what the climbs are like? I have a 53/39 crankset, im hoping it will get me around.

Also there wasn't huge numbers doing this in 2013, approx 200, is there a reason its not well attended.

I made a similar decision on shoe choice for the Mini. Using SPDs would have meant three shoe changes in a 27km race, so I've been training with trail shoes and cages.

• Advertisement

I went with the cage myself to save a bit of time.
    Wave times went up this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Looking forward to this and have signed up for the shorter 40km.
    Don’t generally carry my mobile phone with me when I’m racing, I wonder how stringent they will be with this.

Earlsie wrote: »
    Looking forward to this and have signed up for the shorter 40km.
    Don’t generally carry my mobile phone with me when I’m racing, I wonder how stringent they will be with this.

I've done a good few adventure races in the last 12 months, and I don't recall it being part of mandatory kit.

If you have an old phone, that you can put your sim in, otherwise a sealed bag x2.
    Its always a possibility u could fall on kayak, or in river run, you dont want to have to worry about minding your phone, and enjoy your race.

Does anyone know if numbers and dibbers need to be collected in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'm doing the 40k starting in the second wave at 11:00. Can't wait :D

@desertcircus: I assumed you would get your race number and dibber when you register on Saturday morning

Good luck tomorrow fellow racers 😊

Loved this race today. Couldn't fault it really. Big thanks to the organisers and all the wonderful marshals. Report here :D

Quality race - although I missed someone passing me on the hill run and spent the entire return cycle thrashing furiously to protect what I thought was my third place rather than the fourth I got. Still, after finishing 14:32 behind the winner at an adventure race earlier in the summer, it was pretty satisfying to look at the results and see that I'd finished 1:56 behind the same guy.

Great day out, loved every minute of race.

Loved this race today. Couldn't fault it really. Big thanks to the organisers and all the wonderful marshals. Rep=92283522&postcount=2497"]here[/URL] :D

Well done on your 5th place, and well done on a great race report, lovely to read post event.

I might try those glucose tabs, gel wrappers are a pain putting them back into a pocket.

The Moxie Pro seemed to be quicker this year, a 3:43 was could enough for a top 10 finish last year, it only was good enough for a top 30 this year.

• Advertisement

Well done on your 5th place, and well done on a great race report, lovely to read post event.

I might try those glucose tabs, gel wrappers are a pain putting them back into a pocket.

The Moxie Pro seemed to be quicker this year, a 3:43 was could enough for a top 10 finish last year, it only was good enough for a top 30 this year.

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed reading it :D

I think the times for the Moxie were quicker this year too. Not sure what the weather was like last year but I thought it was perfect for racing yesterday

Advertisement