Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders!!!

• 12-09-2014 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Is anyone else having a problem with HUGE house spiders at the moment? I seem to find them everywhere. They're not the type of spiders that just hangout in the corner of the ceiling. In fact I've never seen them up high. They're always running across my floor, in my wardrobe or on my bed!! :eek: Is that even normal? I don't know what to do. Even the thought of them makes me shiver. Does anyone know if those plugins from Woodies work? Or is there any other way to get rid of them? Help! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

larrlin24 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a problem with HUGE house spiders at the moment? I seem to find them everywhere. They're not the type of spiders that just hangout in the corner of the ceiling. In fact I've never seen them up high. They're always running across my floor, in my wardrobe or on my bed!! :eek: Is that even normal? I don't know what to do. Even the thought of them makes me shiver. Does anyone know if those plugins from Woodies work? Or is there any other way to get rid of them? Help! :confused:

They're in invasion mode at the moment to find warm/mates. Completely harmless though keep a jam jar handy and ferry them elsewhere :)

EDIT: As far as I know those plug in things are just a gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have loads of them coming in, I don't mind them, pick them up with a glass and a piece do card, bring into the garden and deposit far from the house.

Or

Call one of the cats as my daughter does, she brings one cat to bed to be sure, they love eating spiders!

Daughter read on internet that peppermint oil is a deterrent so I have that on my shopping list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

mymo wrote: »
    I have loads of them coming in, I don't mind them, pick them up with a glass and a piece do card, bring into the garden and deposit far from the house.

Or

Call one of the cats as my daughter does, she brings one cat to bed to be sure, they love eating spiders!

My cats ate two of them today. I'd just prefer if they weren't in the house at all. My room is spotless, yet they still seem to find a hiding place and then appear beside my bed at night :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yup massive problem here.

We have sort of heading around the front of the house and its like a breeding ground. I'm killing s good few everyday.

I actually just did a search for s thread now...because a big bodied one was scattering up the wall.

Went out for a smoke and noticed one of the biggest I've ever seen by the window. After some more investigation with a light found loads.

Definitely freaking me out especially with a new born baby in the house. They are all over the place :(

This thread pops up this time every year. Had a huge one myself he took up residence in my house when it was empty for 6 months ....

148632_455961032893_335275_n.jpg

• Advertisement

This thread pops up this time every year. Had a huge one myself he took up residence in my house when it was empty for 6 months ....

148632_455961032893_335275_n.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek: I'd pack up and move if I saw that!

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yup massive problem here.

We have sort of heading around the front of the house and its like a breeding ground. I'm killing s good few everyday.

I actually just did a search for s thread now...because a big bodied one was scattering up the wall.

Went out for a smoke and noticed one of the biggest I've ever seen by the window. After some more investigation with a light found loads.

Definitely freaking me out especially with a new born baby in the house. They are all over the place :(

Ugh they're horrible!! After this post, I had two of them run at me while I was watching tv in bed. They're so fast which makes them hard to catch. I feel like I can't relax now because I'm always on the lookout :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have an average sized dining room, and since last night there are no less than 5 squished spiders bigger than a €2 coin on the walls. Me and OH are absolutely TERRIFIED of them. I mean like I would vomit if one was on me kind of terrified. We had one in our old house last year that was so big it got STUCK in where the hinges are on the door (between door and frame). All we could see was the legs waving about, and when OH opened the door it jumped to the floor. Not fell, but jumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Had one on the sitting room wall and I thought someones pet had escaped , horrible looking, had a huge body and thick legs,
    R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

we have huge wolf spiders in our house.....errgh they get really big.they some times jump off the stairs through the spindles onto sitting room floor and you can hear them land!!! also feckers for hiding in laundry basket. freak me out every second day. someone said put conkers [as in horse chestnuts] some where in your room and they wont stay for long I am tempted to try this, sounds a bit mad but they are very gross!!! bonkers conkers!!!

• Advertisement

Omg, thats the stuff of nightmares!! We have a large amount of conkers and no ....the feckers seem to love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I nearly stood on one in my stocking feet last night *shudder*. Plonked a glass over it and found a suitably sturdy piece of card and, when I'd built up my nerve, flung it into the front garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whitelight

alie wrote: »
    Omg, thats the stuff of nightmares!! We have a large amount of conkers and no ....the feckers seem to love them

ah balls!!! I was hoping to use nature against nature!! I'm bit evil, if there in the bath I grab the hairspray...blast them till they freeze all stuck together and then hoover them up!!!and they other half is always moaning as to why he has to empty the hoover bag!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A pic from a few weeks ago. This guy isn't even close to the biggest I have caught this year.

Edit: When I try to upload a pic I just get invalid file, not sure what's going on as its a standard .jpg
    Point is the spider is huge, I'll upload pic when I figure out the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aoife molloy

yes in my bed also my shoe in bedroom in kitchen i am phobic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I haven't found any inside the house in the last few weeks but I'd die a death if I found one in my room let alone my bed!!! We usually get them in the kitchen and bathroom, there are tons of the huge black ones in the shed, may they stay there!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭jopax

We have had loads of them in our house too, really big ones.
    I don't mind them too much in the kitchen but the bedroom is a different story.
    I have to check the bedroom every night and some nights have had to take three out of the room. Can't see where they are coming from, but I could not go asleep if there was one in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Have loads, some as big as kittens;)
    Glad i dont mind them, i pick them up put them outside but im starting to recognise them as they come back in;)

This is the 6th one this week!!! Think it's time to move out :eek::eek:

Have loads, some as big as kittens;)
    Glad i dont mind them, i pick them up put them outside but im starting to recognise them as they come back in;)

My Dad's like that. He just walks in and picks them up and puts them outside. I wish I could do that. I scream, run around, frantically look for the hoover and the cleaning spray. It's quite embarrassing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 aoife molloy

SingItOut wrote: »
    I haven't found any inside the house in the last few weeks but I'd die a death if I found one in my room let alone my bed!!! We usually get them in the kitchen and bathroom, there are tons of the huge black ones in the shed, may they stay there!

I am panicked when i see them even now breathing is full of angst

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney :(
    I'm not madly keen on them running around the place, but jeez, I find it terribly sad to read of all the spider deaths, some all of which are really unpleasant :(
    They may not look nice and they move fast, but the Big Picture is that they are vital friends of ours... if you're prepared to get close enough to them to spray them with hairspray or suck them up in the hoover, then you're surely prepared to get one of those spider grasper things so ye wouldn't have to get close to them, and just put them gently outside? And you do need to be gentle with them, flinging them out the window can crack their exoskeleton and cause a slow death.

Spider grasper:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2762085.htm

Spraying them with hairspray, sucking them up in the hoover is just, well, cruel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

TheDoc wrote: »

How are spiders impacting on the child?

I can't abide anyone killing a spider. It's completely unnecessary. It's a slippery slope, what next butterflies, moths, cats dogs?
    Serial killers in the making.

I can't abide anyone killing a spider. It's completely unnecessary. It's a slippery slope, what next butterflies, moths, cats dogs?

Really? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Really? :rolleyes:

Yeah.

I'd have no objection to killing a spider if you were goin to eat it. Otherwise it's gratuitous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I made great friends with the spiders in my shed. They'd stay in the same spots and we were both happy.

Less happy about them inside but adrenaline rush and panic reaction has diminished hugely recently.

Morf wrote: »
    I made great friends with the spiders in my shed. They'd stay in the same spots and we were both happy.

Less happy about them inside but adrenaline rush and panic reaction has diminished hugely recently.
    Speaking of spiders in the shed. I was cleaning mine out yesterday. I am suprised the gaurds werent called. I was doing grand and then I moved a box.. O holy mother of god. There was a family of big brown ones
    My screams were blood curdling. I dropped the sweeping brush and fled. Even the dog backed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Was watching some tv before bed on the laptop last night and one ran across the keyboard. A monster. Stripped the bed and panicked alot, don't know how I slept :(

Yeah.

I'd have no objection to killing a spider if you were goin to eat it. Otherwise it's gratuitous.

Each to their own I suppose. I wouldn't go out of my way to kill one if I saw it just hanging out in a corner somewhere, but if it's running at me then the only thing I can do is throw a shoe at it and hope I kill it. It's hard not to panic when you're deathly afraid of them!

• Advertisement

Keeping spiders is a slippery slope also, first spiders, butterflies cats, dogs, then humans.
    Kidnapper in the making.

Just after i posted this, i saw my cat go into hunt mode, and he just killed a monster spider. I have another one in my living room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement