Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Keeping spiders is a slippery slope also, first spiders, butterflies cats, dogs, then humans.
    Kidnapper in the making.

Just after i posted this, i saw my cat go into hunt mode, and he just killed a monster spider. I have another one in my living room.

I'm thinking to borrow the neighbours cat for a few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My cat just earnt herself a treat. Left the window open as I was out all day, was just getting into bed and I notice Dobby is watching something. There was a daddy long legs earlier, so thought the noise was another one. Saw it was a huuuge big black spider, hiding in a paper bag. Gave it a rustle and we caught him, she ate him. Owe her a salmon dinner. Ar'n't cats great :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't understand the double standards here. Were I to suggest setting my dogs on a cat to devour it or indeed much more humanely, shooting cats as they enter upon my property, there would be outrage here.
    Why is it accepted that spiders be killed?
    It sick. Simple as that. Only a sad excuse for a human would routinely stand idly by and allow the slaughter of innocent spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Simple as that. Only a sad excuse for a human would routinely stand idly by and allow the slaughter of innocent spiders.
    It's the only way to protect the flies.

Spider cull!!

:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

tumblr_n9n37sCwIx1sa4vz3o1_500.png

Just came across this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

New Home wrote: »

Just came across this...

A clever move from some peppermint oil salesman...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yeah.

I'd have no objection to killing a spider if you were goin to eat it. Otherwise it's gratuitous.
    I don't understand the double standards here. Were I to suggest setting my dogs on a cat to devour it or indeed much more humanely, shooting cats as they enter upon my property, there would be outrage here.
    It sick. Simple as that. Only a sad excuse for a human would routinely stand idly by and allow the slaughter of innocent spiders.

I don't have arachnophobia so spiders and I cohabit quite happily, and I hate killing them/seeing them killed.

Having said that, GC, I think you've answered your own question - cats/dogs/birds/even fish eat spiders, they're part of the food chain/it's natural selection - cruel, but "normal", for lack of a better word. A human being setting his/her dog on another animal, or shooting another animal because it trespasses into your property, is not justifiable, it's cruel and gratuitous. So, that's your difference.

endacl wrote: »
    A clever move from some peppermint oil salesman...

Probably :rolleyes:, but at least your house will have a lovely minty scent... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I don't have arachnophobia so spiders and I cohabit quite happily, and I hate killing them/seeing them killed.
    Having said that, GC, I think you've answered your own question - cats/dogs/birds/even fish eat spiders, they're part of the food chain/it's natural selection - cruel, but "normal", for lack of a better word. A human being setting his/her dog on another animal, or shooting another animal because it trespasses into your property, is not justifiable, it's cruel and gratuitous. So, that's your difference.

Nature is not cruel. It is simply indifferent. I'm indifferent to cats but would not be cruel.
    If spiders were cute and fluffy the attitude on here would be completly different.
    Such **** being posted, one poster worried for his newborn child, another throwing shoes when spiders ran at her. It's a sick joke. Picking on a harmless creature.
    What about bees, or bats, why stop at spiders?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Surely gratuitous means that it's *not necessary*?
    In light of the fact that there are perfectly acceptable and no less scary means of removing spiders alive and unharmed, spraying a spider with hairspray is therefore gratuitous. So is sucking them up into a Hoover.
    I'd prefer to see a dog or cat finishing them off instantly if that's what a phobic person requires, feckit, even squash them with a shoe if it's a dire emergency, but the above two methods prolong their death and are utterly unnecessary.
    I'm still trying to understand why one would get so close to one with a Hoover, shoe or hairspray can, but nobody has said they'd opt for the humane grasper I linked to already. The spider stays the same distance from you, but it's not killed in a horrible fashion, or injured to die a slow death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

One of those wolf spiders ran out from under the tv tonight and just stood there in the middle of the floor stareing at me, i swear he was the biggest spider ive ever seen in real life in my 37 yrs on this planet, anyway i squeezed him into a pint glass and threw him out, 2 mins later his buddy came rushing out looking for him and got the same treatment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

One from today :D

pM4tVLgs.jpg

(click image)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Surely you're not comparing spiders to animals like cats and dogs? Come on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Just came across this...

What about cats and dogs in the house?
    Would they love peppermint scent all over?

No idea. Some cats like catmint, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Just photographed this today . I think it might be a false widow spider on the side of my house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92219989&postcount=1

larrlin24 wrote: »
    Surely you're not comparing spiders to animals like cats and dogs? Come on :rolleyes:

I know I would place more "value", if that's the right word, on a dog or a cat's life.
    That does not, however, invalidate the fact that I hate seeing any animal killed inhumanely, or for reasons that are hard to justify ("I'm scared of it" doesn't cut it in light of the fact that releasing them humanely requires just as close contact with them as killing them inhumanely).

I'm 100% with you DBB - just because they're ugly it doesn't mean they don't suffer.

I'm 100% with you DBB - just because they're ugly it doesn't mean they don't suffer.

Actually it is wildly still debated whether not invertebrates can feel pain and suffer. In fact the Cruelty to Animals Act, 1876 specifically excludes invertebrates from it.

Based on their biology even if they did feel pain it would not be in the same way we would. It would be a completely different sensation.

A small to medium spider or other insects don't bother me, and if I get to one before the cats do I will put it out the window.
    But this great big black thing... I would not have been able to sleep in the room, and as ive just started uni as a mature student I find I really need my sleep.
    I don't agree with any type of unnecessary cruelty, but in the case of the big black spidey , it was him or me. I saw this thread the other day and was hoping I wouldn't have to post in it! Sleeping with white bed clothes too so I can see the feckers should they go on my bed.
    It's a pain not being able to open the bedroom window until the spider fest is over.

• Advertisement

Actually it is wildly still debated whether not invertebrates can feel pain and suffer. In fact the Cruelty to Animals Act, 1876 specifically excludes invertebrates from it.

Based on their biology even if they did feel pain it would not be in the same way we would. It would be a completely different sensation.

Ok, but in their way they still feel it. Just because it's different from our way, it doesn't mean it's less relevant. To me it's akin to saying that simply because someone speaks a different language what they say isn't as important as what we do. And that's just on the basis of what we know now - back in the day doctors declared people dead if they couldn't see their breath on a mirror...

Ok, but in their way they still feel it. Just because it's different from our way, it doesn't mean it's less relevant. To me it's akin to saying that simply because someone speaks a different language what they say isn't as important as what we do.

No it's not. Like I said it is widely believed that spiders and other invertebrates do not feel pain at all. Of course this is a theory. But so is evolution ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Just reading this thread is making me feel a bit woozy, I am absolutely terrified of spiders, a stupid fear that was passed on to me from my Mum.

I know they can't hurt me but they just scare the bloody life out of me.

However...

I WOULD NEVER, EVER, EVER KILL A SPIDER!!

I can't believe so many of you do! What an awful thing to do, to kill a completely harmless creature who is just going about his daily business :(
    Very cruel and completely unecessary.
    I just put a big glass vase over them until someone can come over and rehome them at the bottom of the garden for me.
    Please don't kill them, it's so mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Just photographed this today . I think it might be a false widow spider on the side of my house.

Oh MY GOD! :eek::eek::eek:
    I will have nightmares tonight after seeing this, I'm not opening any more pics on this thread!!

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't kill anything based just on phobia. Spiders do not bother me in the slightest and I actually enjoy having a few around the house as they eat the way more annoying house fly :P

Same type that got into my room last night. I believe we live quite close to each other, same village. Ive got the shivers thinking about it!

It does look like a false widow alright going by the markings on the thorax. Totally harmless if left alone. They do have a nasty bite though if they are cornered and if you are super allergic it can cause nasty effects including death in kids. It's VERY rare this will happen though!

No it's not. Like I said it is widely believed that spiders and other invertebrates do not feel pain at all. Of course this is a theory. But so is evolution ;)

Well... That's not really true. Fair enough, in times past it was assumed that invertebrates feel no pain (probably back at the same time that evolution was still only a theory, which if course, it no longer is ;)) but that has been majorly brought into question thanks to research over the past decade or so.
    So much so that the Irish and UK (all jurisdictions) welfare acts have left room for invertebrates to be included if and when the research is complete enough to indicate that invertebrates require protection because of a higher pain perception that has historically been assumed.
    My emphasis is on the word "assumed" because that's all it was... It's not too long ago that it was assumed that higher animals felt no pain, leading to grossly torturous things being done to dogs, horses etc. Indeed, it's not that long ago either that it was assumed that children felt no pain due to having undeveloped nervous systems! Again, this led to terrible things being done to them.
    But all of that has changed due to research, evidence, and enlightenment. As it stands, there is nobody that can definitively say that invertebrates feel no pain... Indeed, Queen's University in Belfast are leading the field in research into pain perception in invertebrates, their work means that it's only a matter of time before lobsters join the only current protected invertebrate, the octopus. Once lobsters are there, it's potentially only a matter of time before they're joined by other arthropods and invertebrates.
    Even if they do feel pain "differently" to us, how can that possibly excuse causing them unnecessary pain? I'm brought back to that utterly insightful and welfare-world changing quote by the grandfather of animal welfare, Jeremy Bentham:
    "The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"

DBB wrote: »
    Well... That's not really true. Fair enough, in times past it was assumed that invertebrates feel no pain (probably back at the same time that evolution was still only a theory, which if course, it no longer is ;)) but that has been majorly brought into question thanks to research over the past decade or so.
    So much so that the Irish and UK (all jurisdictions) welfare acts have left room for invertebrates to be included if and when the research is complete enough to indicate that invertebrates require protection because of a higher pain perception that has historically been assumed.
    My emphasis is on the word "assumed" because that's all it was... It's not too long ago that it was assumed that higher animals felt no pain, leading to grossly torturous things being done to dogs, horses etc. Indeed, it's not that long ago either that it was assumed that children felt no pain due to having undeveloped nervous systems! Again, this led to terrible things being done to them.
    But all of that has changed due to research, evidence, and enlightenment. As it stands, there is nobody that can definitively say that invertebrates feel no pain... Indeed, Queen's University in Belfast are leading the field in research into pain perception in invertebrates, their work means that it's only a matter of time before lobsters join the only current protected invertebrate, the octopus. Once lobsters are there, it's potentially only a matter of time before they're joined by other arthropods and invertebrates.
    Even if they do feel pain "differently" to us, how can that possibly excuse causing them unnecessary pain? I'm brought back to that utterly insightful and welfare-world changing quote by the grandfather of animal welfare, Jeremy Bentham:
    "The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"

Fair enough, I need to brush up on my invertebrate biology :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If I see a spider I scream bloody murder, only those big black hairy house spiders though. Yet I won't kill them or even displace them (unless in my bedroom, in that case I get my mam to put it out the window!) I'm sort of fascinated by them as long as they don't touch me, I like watching them scuttling around the place and amazed by the way they have so many legs and can run so fast without getting tangled, and here's me tripping over my own 2 legs!
    I've found with my cats they will go upstairs, get a spider, bring it downstairs and let it go to chase but they rarely kill or eat them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement