Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead yearling

Options
  • 12-09-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

:mad:

I went to check horses last night and found my lovely yearling Irish draught dead!!!!! No obvious reason........ Safe field, well fenced, no obvious risks or dangers.... I'm absolutely gutted.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Gorteen wrote: »
    :mad:

I went to check horses last night and found my lovely yearling Irish draught dead!!!!! No obvious reason........ Safe field, well fenced, no obvious risks or dangers.... I'm absolutely gutted.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Sorry to hear that, that's awful, I lost a horse one time that put his head in a gate and hung himself, was dead when I went to see him, it's tough when you put so much time and energy into them.

What was the condition of the grazing, ie heavy, light, ragwort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

whupdedo wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, that's awful, I lost a horse one time that put his head in a gate and hung himself, was dead when I went to see him, it's tough when you put so much time and energy into them.

What was the condition of the grazing, ie heavy, light, ragwort

Grazing was good aftergrass. She had been on it a month with three other horses. No ragworth. Wormed about six weeks ago. Very healthy animal. t's so annoying!!!!

You can't account for everything, it could have been a sudden colic or a heart defect, these things happen, but it sure is a sickener

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Sorry to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

So sorry to hear OP.

Might be worth getting your other horses checked by a vet OP in case your yearling had something contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Sorry for your loss. Had similar experience with yearling, my guess at the time was maybe it got kick in the head from some of the other horses.

Thanks for the comments............ Two years planning and effort gone!!! I wouldn't mind so much, but she was a keeper because of her absolutley gorgeous nature..... a real pet!!!

Gorteen wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments............ Two years planning and effort gone!!! I wouldn't mind so much, but she was a keeper because of her absolutley gorgeous nature..... a real pet!!!

It'll never happen a nag, that's one thing for sure

whupdedo wrote: »
    It'll never happen a nag, that's one thing for sure

Isn't that the truth!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Sorry to hear that. Might be worth a PM in case there are any risks to your other horses.

Maybe have a check for poisonous plants, I've had lots of foxgloves and cuckoo pint spring up in the last 2 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Sorry to hear that op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Really sorry to hear that OP. It's such an awful thing to happen. Did you get a post mortem done? It's not something we hear about that often, I suppose, but it's not all that uncommon in cattle. It could have been something like an aneurism, or maybe an undetected heart problem, or something simple like a bad reaction to a virus that was going around. As suggested above, it may be worthwhile having a vet out to check the other horses, just incase it was a virus, or something else contagious.

Advertisement