Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its coming! Google Nexus 9

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Got a software update notification (6.0.1) which surprised me as I thought that's what I was already on. Anyway, tried to install and have started getting the following error:

"there's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacture for details"

Happens every time I not and the UI is now slow as hell, with what could be, at best, described as horrendous frame rate drops.

Anyone else come across this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Got a software update notification (6.0.1) which surprised me as I thought that's what I was already on. Anyway, tried to install and have started getting the following error:

"there's an internal problem with your device. Contact your manufacture for details"

Happens every time I not and the UI is now slow as hell, with what could be, at best, described as horrendous frame rate drops.

Anyone else come across this?

Monthly Security updates for 6.0.1

Probably a corrupted update. If your bootloader is unlocked, you could flash the factory image and hopefully resolve it without wiping data.

If it is locked, you will need to wipe your device to be able to flash factory image. So backup your data and try a factory reset first.

Completely stock, have never touched it and download was OTA

Have tried to factory reset but it just keeps freezing when I get to the final "erase everything" button.

Have managed to get it reset through recovery but still getting the fecking message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is anyone else Nexus 9 gone dog slow?
    Its fine playing games but using it for internet browsing, or Facebook, or any other app, and its so slow.

Half considering picking up the Pixel C. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Is anyone else Nexus 9 gone dog slow?
    Its fine playing games but using it for internet browsing, or Facebook, or any other app, and its so slow.

Half considering picking up the Pixel C. :mad:

Yeah in the last week or so mine has become almost unusable it's gone so slow and laggy.

Sorry for resurfaced thread! Anyone still with an operational N9 after 4 years?
    corkie wrote: »
    Edit: Just ordered 32GB Black wifi model - Hope I don't regret it. For whatever future reasons!
    Edit: I cancel my order with amazon, and placed one with google play. Which works out cheaper than amazon.

My tablet still functions but with a degraded battery, it freezes up (with static) when battery power is low.

Took advantage of Aliexpress 11/11.

Just ordered a battery for €15.14 of aliexpress (incl of shipping).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OriWood-new-BOP82100-genuine-battery-for-HTC-TH1-google-nexus-9-8-9-tablet-PC-6700mah/32880860582.html

Also just tried the trick of disconnecting the battery, and now in the process of draining it completely, so to re-calibrate it.

Was not going to bother until I saw this reddit thread and got curious for what a replacement would cost.

Mine is still goin strong, with SlimROM. Battery is still decent. It's slow enough when opening chrome (I think due to feck all RAM), but it's effectively a YouTube machine for the little one now, and works perfectly. Touch wood!

Is the back easy to get off to replace the battery? Any soldering involved?

I must check AccuBattery to see how healthy my battery is. Be good to have a backup just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Our one still works - not amazing but still works. Battery poor at this point but we can live with that. Suprised its outlasted a lot of our devices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

steve_r wrote: »
    Our one still works - not amazing but still works. Battery poor at this point but we can live with that. Suprised its outlasted a lot of our devices!

i picked up one on adverts during the summer for watching vids on holidays... not bad.. id say it didnt get much use as battery is fine.. the screen has a little burn in where the on screen buttons are.. running lineage os on it..

• Advertisement

No soldering just gently pry the back open with a plastic tool.

^^^ Expensive battery linked from that video!

Just checked there. My battery health is 5500mAh so that's a loss of 1200mAh. Not too bad.

I saw online there was talk of soldering in new RAM modules, which I think would make a huge difference!!

Just checked there. My battery health is 5500mAh so that's a loss of 1200mAh. Not too bad.

I saw online there was talk of soldering in new RAM modules, which I think would make a huge difference!!

Accubattery needs a few charging cycles (powered on) to get accurate readings, so if you only load the app in yesterday, give it a week or two.

Just put the app on my own today, so will see in a fortnight to a month, around the time my replacement should arrive hopefully.

Have you a link to the discussion on increase the ram on the device?
    What i have checked on XDA, sound s like you end up with a brick or a device that can not utilize the extra ram due to kernel etc.

Was most likely XDA I saw it.

I would have thought something like LineageOS wouldn't have a RAM limitation, considering it's built for so many devices with so many different combinations of RAM and CPU etc.
    I'd have guessed that it'd search for RAM etc at boot, like a good old fashioned POST, and just used what was available. Unless its hardcoded into a closed source kernel or something.

Was most likely XDA I saw it.

I would have thought something like LineageOS wouldn't have a RAM limitation, considering it's built for so many devices with so many different combinations of RAM and CPU etc.
    I'd have guessed that it'd search for RAM etc at boot, like a good old fashioned POST, and just used what was available. Unless its hardcoded into a closed source kernel or something.

Can you upgrade the RAM of an Android device?
    You can't. Most smart phones are designed as a System-on-Chip; which means that the CPU, RAM, GPU, device controllers, etc are all in a single chip. Updating RAM in such system means replacing a whole lot of other stuffs. Not to mention that you probably would have a hard time finding a chip with different specification which fits perfectly into the hole that was left behind after you dismounted the chip; due to size restrictions, the components around the chip are designed to fit tightly into the available space.

Even if you did replace the RAM chip, the code to enable it is more than likely embed in property code on Vendor partition and maybe the kernel.

There is this thread on XDA but the author never got around to posting a guide or provide proof that he actually achieved it.

LineageOS and all other custom roms, need specific device builds (except outside of Treble enabled roms).

I would not recommend believing in Accubattery's health report's of your battery.

After 4 charges (while powered on), I'm getting estimate 5,622 mAh (84%), and after 4 years and usage patterns plus piss poor SOT. My battery health should be a lot worse than reported. Especially with the static freezes.

Also it is know that the app only reports estimates to around 90% of capacity. Two other devices, I have with much more charge cycles have been reporting that level. A newer device and a device with a replacement battery.

It due to the 10% the app can not read in the extremes (5% both ends).

How does a phone battery percentage display work?

After disconnecting+reconnecting the battery, and a re-calibration, as recommended on reddit, the device is no longer freezing with static. At least has not happened since I did that. But that is also report as a temporary solution and the problem may reappear.

Took advantage of Aliexpress 11/11.

Just ordered a battery for €15.14 of aliexpress (incl of shipping).
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OriWood-new-BOP82100-genuine-battery-for-HTC-TH1-google-nexus-9-8-9-tablet-PC-6700mah/32880860582.html

Battery arrived yesterday, reliable and genuine battery received.

Put it through a test yesterday, 12 Hours of use, 4 and half hours SOT, 20% Battery remaining.

Improvement from my degraded battery, that was lucky to last 5 hours and barely reach 2 Hours SOT.

Accubattery app will require a few charge cycles to get accurate estimated capacity. After 1 over night charge from 20%>> Health 93% ~~ 6,217 mAh

Thanks for that corkie,i was giving up on my nexus 9,but i might give that ali express batrery a go,showing at $18 but still a worthwhile deal.is it really as straight forward to change the battery as the guy in the video makes it look?

Thanks for that corkie,i was giving up on my nexus 9,but i might give that ali express batrery a go,showing at $18 but still a worthwhile deal.is it really as straight forward to change the battery as the guy in the video makes it look?

Yes it is that easy, 5 to 10 mins job.

But had a practice run to just disconnect battery before hand, so had an idea of the procedure.

All you need is the plastic pry tool, which I had from a previous battery purchase for my Kenzo.
    Edit: - Tool not provided from aliexpress seller with battery.

Edit 2: - The device wouldn't turn on at first with new battery, until I connected it to a powerbank.

s-l300.jpg

• Advertisement

Did you order the same battery?
    Looks like that particular seller, doesn't stock it anymore.
    There is others that have it.

About 2 weeks for delivery, so doubt you have received it yet.

Did you order the same battery?
    Looks like that particular seller, doesn't stock it anymore.
    There is others that have it.

About 2 weeks for delivery, so doubt you have received it yet.

Tbh corkie i didnt bother,its the most annoying tablet i have ever owned,considering it was marketed as a premium tablet with a premium price.from the early stages there has been lag,apps randomly closing.i came.close a few times to bouncing it off the wall.i use it now mostly for just casting tunein radio. Thanks for the heads up about the battery anyway,appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Mine is still goin strong, with SlimROM. Battery is still decent. It's slow enough when opening chrome (I think due to feck all RAM), but it's effectively a YouTube machine for the little one now, and works perfectly. Touch wood!

I must check AccuBattery to see how healthy my battery is. Be good to have a backup just in case.

Same, flashed SlimRom and didn't bother installing Facebook and a few other apps which seem to chew up the battery

Works pretty well, it can be slow for a while after turning it on as it goes through the 'updates', but works fine when it's all updated.

I'd definitely recommend flashing SlimRom.

Advertisement