Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

its coming! Google Nexus 9

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

Mine just arrived this minute,dublin northside.i will be unboxing shortly :) gonna encrypt my nexus 10 then factory reset it,i will be sad to see it go,it served me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Just switched on, have applied a system update of around 250mb, restoring apps from the Nexus 7 now, screen looks much better than my 2012 16gb Nexus 7

So farnso good,i,m really liking it.there is very slight slack in the middle at the back,but to be honest i wouldnt of even noticed it if i hadnt read about it on the net.no lightbleed whatsoever.feels really good in the hand and i like the size.updating my apps over from my nexus 10,will take a while, so i havnt actually got to put the tablet through its paces yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Cork: Mine was delivered around noon, i was out but a relative accepted it.

Just about to open it.

For updating from a prior device, does that pull the apps over local wifi or does it download from the net?

On limited broadband so don't want to pull all my apps down from the net in one go.

Edit: First impressions of the Device. Solid, weighty, doesn't at all feel like a cheap device like some of the reviews said.

I have big hands so can comfortably hold device in one hand, don't know how long for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

corkie wrote: »
    Cork: Mine was delivered around noon, i was out but a relative accepted it.

Just about to open it.

For updating from a prior device, does that pull the apps over local wifi or does it download from the net?

On limited broadband so don't want to pull all my apps down from the net in one go.

If your old device has NFC you should be able to tap the two devices at during set up. Lollipop feature, very jealous of you lads !:p

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    If your old device has NFC you should be able to tap the two devices at during set up. Lollipop feature, very jealous of you lads !:p

But does it pull the apps locally or does it re download them from the net?

Found my answer here : - https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6073630?hl=en

I have nexus 7 2012 to get my settings from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 NoelOC

weslers wrote: »
    Here's hoping NoelOC

Mine just arrived in the office despite the tracking site still showing it in the UK :)

There goes my productivity for the rest of the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

NoelOC wrote: »
    Mine just arrived in the office despite the tracking site still showing it in the UK :)

There goes my productivity for the rest of the day..

Still waiting... come DHL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just arrived, nice big update when you first turn it on.

Feels a bit heavier than I was expecting

jester77 wrote: »
    Just arrived, nice big update when you first turn it on.

Feels a bit heavier than I was expecting

This is most likely they final release of Lollipop as the reviewers only got the final version pushed out to them on Sunday afternoon.

• Advertisement

Some of the reviewers across the internet were way off the mark IMO.been messing around with it for about an hour now and I love it,genuinely I,m not being biased.only thing I do agree with it,is that it is a tad expensive,otherwise I couldn't be happier with it.nice feel in the hands,buttery smooth operation.the sound is great compared to my nexus 10 and nexus 7. Havnt tried movies on it yet.I,m also loving lollipop.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Some of the reviewers across the internet were way off the mark IMO.been messing around with it for about an hour now and I love it,genuinely I,m not being biased.only thing I do agree with it,is that it is a tad expensive,otherwise I couldn't be happier with it.nice feel in the hands,buttery smooth operation.the sound is great compared to my nexus 10 and nexus 7. Havnt tried movies on it yet.I,m also loving lollipop.😀

Any sign of overheating or bleeding?

Free Movie - "Gravity" on play movies.

Just OEM unlocked my device now.

Test the device with youtube and some music and played "Shuan The Sheep"

Sound is Good but not over loud. Haven't notice any back-light bleed when playing videos.

MX Player is not supported in Android L for some reason need to look for another player. Any recommendations.

Any sign of overheating or bleeding?

No lighbleed whatsoever,no over heating either.

Just OEM unlocked my device now.

Test the device with youtube and some music and played "Shuan The Sheep"

Sound is Good but not over loud. Haven't notice any back-light bleed when playing videos.

MX Player is not supported in Android L for some reason need to look for another player. Any recommendations.

Give it a few days and MX player will update. Not sure if bs player or dice player is supported yet.am I missing something or is there no stock photo gallery on it?

Found it getting a little warm in the upper right corner. I find the new exchange email handling strange, they left the old icon which tells you use gmail. They could have just left it out.

Anyway, the most important thing you do at the start....

jester77 wrote: »
    Found it getting a little warm in the upper right corner. I find the new exchange email handling strange, they left the old icon which tells you use gmail. They could have just left it out.

Anyway, the most important thing you do at the start....

Yeah same,upper right corner,but funny the more I used the tab the heat went away.

Finally its AAALLLLLLIIIVVVVEEEEE ok maybe not alive but it has arrived

Tap & Go is not available for Nexus 9 or Nexus 10 devices.

From here: - https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6073630?hl=en

I didn't get the option when setting up to use tap&go, it started to download apps from the net, which I don't want to do because I'm on limited broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Arrived today. So far mainly good.

Positives:

Super easy to setup.

Feels solid, rubber back is great.

Sound is excellent. Banging music out of speakers and they sound incredible; deep bass.

Google Now is even better (although this is more a Lollipop feature than a Nexus 9 one).

Negatives:

Screen rotation is slow and juddery as is switching from apps to home screen.

Volume and lock screen are at weird angles, side is sort of sloped in towards the screen so they're at a 45 degree angle away from it. not very easy to find without looking as they run smooth with ridge that separates back from side. Surely something I should be able to feel location of?

Can't get the accelerometer to work. Tried playing GT Racing 2 and just kept heading straight for walls.

Backlight does bleed a little.

• Advertisement

Backlight does bleed a little.

I would say more than a little. It is very noticeable on the top side (camera end) when you have it sitting on the table. Just click the power button and it becomes apparent. But I suppose at least it is consistent the whole way across the top!

OSI wrote: »
    Now to my eyes, just from that picture I see light bleed along the right edge?

Yeah, you just posted as I was posting my last post about it :D

Give it a few days and MX player will update. Not sure if bs player or dice player is supported yet.am I missing something or is there no stock photo gallery on it?

Dice Player worked! The Black Bars for video content are ugly, but you can zoom fullscreen with dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thats been available in Nexus 5 and 7 for last week also.

For anyone who lives in the US or has a billing and shipping address htc.com/us/go/htc-hot-deals/ Nexus 9 $200

A roundup of some of the Nexus 9 reviews at least there consistently inconstant www .reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2l7ih6/my_review_of_nexus_9_reviews/ (sorry about the links)

Apparently in the US it's currently half price if you buy direct from HTC.

http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-hot-deals/

Edit: Oops missed previous post.

For those thinking of getting the Shield over the Nexus 9 (not sure why you would but hey) looks like you wont be waiting to long for some Lollipop

www .androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/nvidia-says-android-5-0-is-coming-to-the-shield-tablet-this-month/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

This $199 sale is crazy.
    Outstanding if you can get it, but if you can't would you be happy with the $50 discount or pay the full price knowing a pile of people are only paying $199.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

For those thinking of getting the Shield over the Nexus 9 (not sure why you would but hey) looks like you wont be waiting to long for some Lollipop

www .androidpolice.com/2014/11/04/nvidia-says-android-5-0-is-coming-to-the-shield-tablet-this-month/

Why wouldn't ya ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

dnme wrote: »
    Why wouldn't ya ?

Consider
    HDMI out
    Better front camera for video calls
    SDHC slot
    Price
    Screen ratio
    Portability

Not all the above will be critical for all but worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Have just one complaint with mine, I have a year old Galaxy note 3 with MicroUSB 3.0 Port which charges and transfers data much quicker than the traditional charging system on the Nexus 9

You would have thought that with a battery of this capacity HTC would have upgraded to the newer system

DSC01757-650x431.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/26/yes-the-galaxy-note-3-has-a-microusb-3-0-port/

Might consider rooting at some stage if it is possible

I'd HTC flyer back when it was launched and it had a proprietary USB connection. Was a pain.
    I'd see it as a bonus if it is standard USB connection you can use with a decent high amp charger and decent lead.

Only niggle i have is that there is no wireless charging.i have a tylt vu for my nexus 7 which i find excellent,also would of been nice to have the magnetic charging like on the nexus 10,much handier than fiddling around with the micro usb . i really hoped that the 9 would of had wireless charging as standard.apart from that i am extremely happy with it.

Consider
    HDMI out
    Better front camera for video calls
    SDHC slot
    Price
    Screen ratio
    Portability

Not all the above will be critical for all but worth considering.

Yes I know, the NVidia is a mighty piece of kit. Thus my question to weslers - "Why wouldn't ya ?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

3rd e-mail from Amazon. Delivery now November 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

bogman wrote: »
    Have just one complaint with mine, I have a year old Galaxy note 3 with MicroUSB 3.0 Port which charges and transfers data much quicker than the traditional charging system on the Nexus 9

You would have thought that with a battery of this capacity HTC would have upgraded to the newer system

DSC01757-650x431.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/26/yes-the-galaxy-note-3-has-a-microusb-3-0-port/

Might consider rooting at some stage if it is possible

The USB 3 thing didn't really work out for Samsung did it?
    I think they went back to USB 2 for the Note 4.

dnme wrote: »
    Yes I know, the NVidia is a mighty piece of kit. Thus my question to weslers - "Why wouldn't ya ?"

If you are just looking at specs the Nexus 9 is a better tablet spec-wise than the shield.

versus.com/en/htc-nexus-9-vs-nvidia-shield-tablet

Not sure why "Portability" is to be considered the Nexus 9 is just as portably and actually thinner than the Shield. The front facing camera on the Shield is 5MP the compared to the 8MP on the Nexus 9 with a flash.

Brian017 wrote: »
    3rd e-mail from Amazon. Delivery now November 11

Balls, time to get off the fence or get splinters in my case!
    Need to decide on which device, fear if I buy Shield I'll end up buying N9 as well in a month or two.

Thanks to those who received their N9s today and posted their thoughts.
    It all helps!

Balls, time to get off the fence or get splinters in my case!
    Need to decide on which device, fear if I buy Shield I'll end up buying N9 as well in a month or two.

Thanks to those who received their N9s today and posted their thoughts.
    It all helps!

One thing I would say is that although Nvidia are updating to Lollipop this month (nice to see that they are doing it so quickly) there is no guarantee they will be so quick with updates later down the road.

With anything new there is always updates need to improve the OS or to improve this or that with the N9 you know you get it straight from source when its pushed out.

• Advertisement

Not sure why "Portability" is to be considered the Nexus 9 is just as portably and actually thinner than the Shield. The front facing camera on the Shield is 5MP the compared to the 8MP on the Nexus 9 with a flash.

Re portability. I found the N7 form factor suited me much better than ipad or N10.

It is a pocketable size/shape. Easy to slip into a jacket pocket when nipping out for lunch etc.
    Found myself using N7 more for ebooks and mobile browsing where as previously I'd have used a phone for those functions and the use the larger tablets (N10/iPad) for couch surfing or watching media when on flights or in hotels. I also like the smaller N7 size when dual screening, blocks out less of peripheral vision.

My usage and needs may change when I get an N6. It may fulfill my portable and mobile needs.

Re portability. I found the N7 form factor suited me much better than ipad or N10.

It is a pocketable size/shape. Easy to slip into a jacket pocket when nipping out for lunch etc.
    Found myself using N7 more for ebooks and mobile browsing where as previously I'd have used a phone for those functions and the use the larger tablets (N10/iPad) for couch surfing or watching media when on flights or in hotels. I also like the smaller N7 size when dual screening, blocks out less of peripheral vision.

My usage and needs may change when I get an N6. It may fulfill my portable and mobile needs.

I have an iPad and find that the N9 fits better in my hand especially in portrait mode. I can easily hold it with one hand and navigate it with the other.

As for the N6 I think this will no doubt be a better fit than then N7 and probably be used more on the go than the iPad/N10 you currently use. I am currently using the Oppo Find 7 and do use it more for items that I would normally use the iPad simple for ease of use. (I will be updating to the N6 mind you)

I have an iPad and find that the N9 fits better in my hand especially in portrait mode. I can easily hold it with one hand and navigate it with the other.

As for the N6 I think this will no doubt be a better fit than then N7 and probably be used more on the go than the iPad/N10 you currently use. I am currently using the Oppo Find 7 and do use it more for items that I would normally use the iPad simple for ease of use. (I will be updating to the N6 mind you)
    you have an ipad????:eek:
    shame on you:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Lollipop factory image for Nexus 9 is up https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

6 Hours of on time, Only 50% battery drain.

It was on standby for about 2 hours, I think.

Plus played games and download apps etc.

SanDisk Connect 64 GB Wireless Flash Drive (SDWS2-064G-E57) now at 40% off - amazon.co.uk

Thanks to Chainfire Rooting a Nexus 9 is now possible.

A good review by the guys at CNet www .cnet.com/products/google-nexus-9/

Agree with some of their point some apps aren't as responsive as you expect as they are not optimised for Lolipop yet. For me capactiy isnt a big issues on my N9. I don't take a lot of pics on with my tablet and when I do I use Google+ Auto Backup.

Its funny how all the early reviews compare it to the iPad's but forget that they had the same issues when they launched new hardware and OS (heating issues, colour bleed, iOS update fails)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

I know where to buy a N9 but where can I get a Nvidia shield tablet? U.s only?

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I know where to buy a N9 but where can I get a Nvidia shield tablet? U.s only?

Amazon - www .amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nvidia%20shield%20tablet (sorry about the link)

Forgive me lord for I have sinned and I know not what I do.

I've just pulled the trigger on a 32GB LTE Shield from Amazon for £300 with free delivery. Also threw in a case for 12 quid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement