Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the deposit as last months rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

But they need to prove they have paid cleaners in order to withhold part of the deposit? Have they provided an invoice?

Yes,
    A rather spurious looking one. I just left it as didn't feel it was worth the hassle chasing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Makood wrote: »
    Yes,
    A rather spurious looking one. I just left it as didn't feel it was worth the hassle chasing it up.

Just make sure it has a VAT number on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

JeffKenna wrote: »

It didn't. As I said I knew I wasn't going to have any luck here so I left it.
    Probably the wrong thing to do in hindsight but it's a year ago now so a bit late to do anything,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Not all businesses are VATregistered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I asked the letting agency and they said it was fine by them, mind you there is nothing that we could break or take that would damage the property.

• Advertisement

Not all businesses are VATregistered.

True, but in reality if there's not a vat number it leaves the invoice open to question. I suppose if it has the cro number on it you'd have to accept it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

part of the reason tenants are doing this is that a lot of them know how slow & inefficient the PRTB is in relation to Deposit retentions in comparison to the small claims court.

Yep it is all well and good when people say go through them, but when you can't afford to wait? The system here sucks for both parties yet nothing changes.

My landlord and estate agent has never even seen the inside of my apartment, I doubt they could make any claims as to withhold a deposit haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True, but in reality if there's not a vat number it leaves the invoice open to question. I suppose if it has the cro number on it you'd have to accept it.

Nope. Sole traders do not have to be either VAT or CRO registered.

Nope. Sole traders do not have to be either VAT or CRO registered.

And that's where invoices can become dodgy as proof that the landlord paid for 'cleaning' costs. If, as in this situation the tenant claims no cleaning was required yet the landlord paid the full deposit towards cleaning it's not a huge leap to wonder if the landlord walked into a pound shop and simply bought and invoice book and wrote one out himself.

Advertisement