Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just decided I really want to go back to college

Options
  • 13-09-2014 5:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

help needed please its 5am and I am flummoxed

I went to an exhibition this evening and was again inspired by Ceramics. I fight with myself over this in my head as I feel is this something I could earn money from and the levelheaded person in me says don't be silly get a career in Accountancy which I did but it keeps coming back to haunt me I love them I love the feel of making them they just sooth my soul.

except

i am 40, 2 children, and an accountant. ACCA - I have been working part time since arrival of my children as I lost my job and except for a Summer job in Revenue I have been claiming jobseekers for when I am not in full time work.

My question because I am ACCA which is framework level 9 will I be able to qualify for Back to education, Free Fees or anything.

I want to fulfil my passion but finances will hinder!

any insight or guidance welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 56789x

Some of the best decisions ever made are made while flummoxed at 5 o'clock in the morning. My advice; for what it's worth - is to go for it. Just go for it. Of course, there are many who will disagree; but they are wrong. You sound passionate about ceramics; you can make it your reality. There are many who will disagree; but they are wrong. It's obviously your desision; but just so you know; you CAN do it! You're NOT crazy for changing your path and C) Good luck to you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would there be a way you could study your Ceramics at night while continuing part-time Accountancy work for an income?

I don't know what ages your children are, but maybe when they get older you could look again at a full-time course - perhaps you could get credit for any night time courses you did in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 josiemay

thanks 56789x and spurious they are very young one is only 3 months old and the other 2.5 so they will be in my arms for a very long time. I dont want to go back into accountancy i am doing part time 8 hours a week ( on maternity at mo) and it gives us just exactly enough to pay rent, save for bills, have a little spending money and eat. There isnt anything spare but you know what I wouldnt change that. Its the fees that will criple me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

If you really want it, it will happen. I was in a career that I hated for 10 years, my passion has always been food & cooking, last Monday I started Culinary Arts in AthloneIT it's like this amazing weight has been lifted of my shoulder.It won't be easy I've 3 kids under 6 but by god I will get there and I will open my business in a few years. The only person that can stop you is you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you can qualify for financial help and childcare and fees, go for it. Otherwise the option I suggested still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

josiemay wrote: »
    My question because I am ACCA which is framework level 9 will I be able to qualify for Back to education, Free Fees or anything.
    I want to fulfil my passion but finances will hinder!
    any insight or guidance welcomed.

Three years ago I was in a similar position to you (minus any children). I left my job to train as a goldsmith. I started on a FAS course for a year (I was paid the trainee allowance of €188pw). When that finished, I was job-seeking for months (first on JB, then JA when it ran out), trying to get experience in ANY workshop, and trying to do some practice on my own. The tools aren't cheap so it's hard to get started!

Also I applied to the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland to do their 2-year goldsmithing course. It's recently been accredited as a level 7 ordinary degree (or some higher cert / dip, the whole thing is a bit fuzzy). I started the course last September; there are no fees. We were paid a small training allowance in first year (€80 pw), but that's been discontinued for second year as the funding is running out.

So my financial situation was: I had saved while I was working, with the intention of going back to college. I have a level 9 Masters qualification, so although I was unemployed long enough to qualify for Back to Education Allowance, my level 9 qualification meant I was not eligible for it. I was not eligible for a SUSI grant as I'd been to college before. Apart from free fees (which everyone gets for their first degree) I never got any student grants etc as an undergrad. My parents paid my rent & food etc. For my postgrad I won a scholarship to do research, so I had financial independence from that point. Mind you, that scholarship was won through an extremely competitive funding process, it's not the case that everyone who applies & is eligible gets it! Now my own savings are about to run out & my mum will be feeding me again for the next year. :(

Anyway, my main point is the DCCOI also runs a ceramics course, based in Thomastown in Kilkenny. They have an intake every 2 years, only 12 people on the course. The new recruits who are starting there next week will not pay any fees. They will not receive any training allowance for the two years (it's the same money-pot as for my class, and it appears to be empty!) They will not have any materials costs (as far as I understand). The DCCOI pay for the clay & glazes, fuel for kilns etc.

The DCCOI say that they take people from all backgrounds & levels of experience who show passion for ceramics / goldsmithing, and this is partially true. The people in my class have very different backgrounds & experiences, but we all had some jewellery experience before (from night-classes in NCAD to fine art degrees from Belfast & running our own craft businesses). Most of us applied twice before we were accepted onto the course.

I was in Thomastown during the last selection process, and Gus (the course manager & trainer) interviews every applicant. I think he has slightly different criteria for selection, so possibly people get in with less prior experience. You can see the background of the recently finished class here.

Anyway contact Gus Mabelson for info about the course & the next intake (Sept 2017).
    Ceramics Skills & Design
    Course Manager
    Gus Mabelson
    gus@dccoi.ie
    056 7724777

Good luck with your career change! :D

(Oh btw, the course is mad intensive, so might be easier to manage when your little ones have started school or something, but there's no harm in planning ahead!)

Josiemay
    A classmate told me last week that if it's been more than 5 years since you graduated, you could be eligible for the SUSI grant. She was told this by someone in Citizens Information in Donegal.

I'm gonna check it out anyway in the local CI office. Probably I'm too late to do any appeal (for my application last year, or to submit for this year) but I'm gonna ask. And try to find out if this 5 year thing might apply to BTEA...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

HI OP, if its five years since you left college with NO qualification you may be eligible for 2nd chance free fees / SUSI tuition fee grant. As you have a level 9 qualification it's unlikely you will be eligible for SUSI support.

So I checked it out with another Citizens Information office, looks like there was some misunderstanding or miscommunication with my classmate. The second chance SUSI grant is if she hadn't finished her previous degree five or more years ago. So as it stands, none of us are currently eligible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 josiemay

what if i never did a primary degree. I have never had any irish government support for education. i went back as a mature student to do acca and went through the route AAT and then ACCA with no exemptions and paid for it myself ( with AAT covered by my job at the time). would that make any difference i wonder.

its a pity shortie chick isn't it. its so hard to change careers unless you have a stash of cash. while i would love to do the kilkenny course. i couldn't justify moving everyone there for 2 years as we have only just settled where we are a pipe dream that course. i saw it 2 years ago and would have loved loved loved to do it.

Who do you contact to find out if you are eligible for grants. I claim part time JSB (the means tested one) as i only work 2 mornings i wonder on that basis would it be possible

• Advertisement

I'm certainly not an expert, but if you have NO primary degree, then you could be eligible for a SUSI grant. I guess all the info about eligibility is on their website. There could be some issue if you already have a level 9 (without some of the levels beneath it?), and the level of the next course you'd plan on doing, and where you'd want to do it. The current DCCOI students are having a hard time with SUSI, there are some issues with the type of award, so you'd want to be sure your course qualifies.

If you're only working part-time and claiming JSA, possibly you'd qualify for BTEA also. You should probably go directly to your social welfare office to check that out. It's worth asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

josiemay wrote: »
    what if i never did a primary degree. I have never had any irish government support for education. i went back as a mature student to do acca and went through the route AAT and then ACCA with no exemptions and paid for it myself ( with AAT covered by my job at the time). would that make any difference i wonder.

its a pity shortie chick isn't it. its so hard to change careers unless you have a stash of cash. while i would love to do the kilkenny course. i couldn't justify moving everyone there for 2 years as we have only just settled where we are a pipe dream that course. i saw it 2 years ago and would have loved loved loved to do it.

Who do you contact to find out if you are eligible for grants. I claim part time JSB (the means tested one) as i only work 2 mornings i wonder on that basis would it be possible

Grants are decided by SUSI: http://www.susi.ie/

Back to Education Allowance is from DSP: http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

Advertisement