Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farmyard manure

• 13-09-2014 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking to get farmyard manure for my garden. I live in meath but it is proving very difficult to find, believe it or not!

I have a new brick built raised bed to fill ideally with topsoil plus well rotted manure. We also have two raised veg patches to fill also. I want to get this done soon and get planting before winter sets in, have a bit of time but at this rate, it will never be done.

Any got any idea where i can get some well rotted manure?? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Have you tried anyone who keeps horses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Hi there,

I am looking to get farmyard manure for my garden. I live in meath but it is proving very difficult to find, believe it or not!

I have a new brick built raised bed to fill ideally with topsoil plus well rotted manure. We also have two raised veg patches to fill also. I want to get this done soon and get planting before winter sets in, have a bit of time but at this rate, it will never be done.

Any got any idea where i can get some well rotted manure?? Thanks.

A farmyard would be a great place to look :)

I have plenty of it but your're too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

try posting in the Farming and Forestry forum.

How big are the beds?

Is there an equestrian forum too?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Slimdowngal

Farmyard?! No? Really?!!!

Trouble is most of the farms around me are cereal. I asked around, went to a place farmers frequent.....no joy.

I need about a tonne of manure. My next option is ringing around equestrian centres to enquire. Then there is the issue of collection as i've no trailer! Not as straight forward at all.

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Do you specifically want horse manure? It would need to be well rotted and aged, as, in general, horse manure seems to contain much more fibrous material. Try the farming forum, some body should help.

Like I suggested previously, ask some stables, generally they even have trailers knocking around, they might be willing to deliver.

Surely you know someone who could get it?

Failing that go to homebase and buy 50-70 bags of composted manure much cleaner than the raw stuff, that's what I do every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

If you're purchasing 'new' topsoil, you won't need a lot of manure because there should be enough nutrients already in the soil.

If obtaining sufficient amounts of manure is inconvenient just go with the pellet types (blood, hoof and bone; chicken manure, etc).

Advertisement