Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks changed for bin shed

Options
  • 13-09-2014 12:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭

Hey just a quick query as to where I might stand on this one as a tenant.

I've just been down to the bin shed for our apartment complex. There's 32 units total for it. Well key wouldn't work and I had no notice or even a letter dropped into letterbox. Rang a neighbour and they text me on a text that they received which was detailed about how some ppl are vacating apartments but not returning the key to the bin shed so they will be changing the locks and charging a deposit for a new key of €100. Understandable but the thing that annoys me is that in the text, they were only giving notice of a couple of hours to change the locks. "We therefore have to change the locks this evening"

Is this not a bit short notice considering they want €100 out of the blue for a key now? Am I being unreasonable to think they could have given a couple of weeks notice for this rather than 2 or 3 hours. Kind of annoying as I know push come to shove I'll need to deal with my LL who then will have to deal with the agent as the agent won't deal with me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Your landlord would have been contacted and should have passed the information on to you. Outside dumping and abuse of bin sheds is becoming a problem in a lot of developments including mine at the moment. Action needs to be taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

yes but these texts only went out yesterday afaik and only giving 2 hours notice of locks being changed. I'm not disputing the deposit or the fact there's a problem, but surely 2 hours notice is taking the piss?

Further to add, since they've been changed yesterday evening, noone has as of yet received a key as far as I'm aware. The units around me are owner occupied and they have only received the text yesterday with 2 hours notice and no key as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

€100 deposit for key for the bin shed!?

Is it solid gold?

To me that looks like the management company are short of money and want to make it up any way they can.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    €100 deposit for key for the bin shed!?

Is it solid gold?

To me that looks like the management company are short of money and want to make it up any way they can.

No, as I said dumping from non residents is a problem in lots of places. Move out but continue to get your bins for free.

OP you need to go through your landlord about this. It does sound like very short notice but it also sounds like it's very necessary

• Advertisement

The bin sheds are becoming a messy affair to be honest. But that's the agent's fault more so than the "ex tenants". He reduced the number of collections and now there 1 less bin than before and all units are full so no wonder the bins are overflowing. But as I said, I've no issue with a deposit, it's the extremely short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

But its not an issue that should concern you, the LL should be responsible for paying the €100 deposit and raising the issue of short notice with the management company, not you as tenant.

I would think that too normally and I apologize for drip feeding it like this as I know that can be annoying. I'll quote part of it now that concerns me as a tenant.

"We will not issue keys to tenants without the deposit paid by the tenant and as assurance from both landlord and tenant that the key is only for use for XXX tenants only."

I shouldn't need to engage with this lad at all as far as I know. It seems like he is providing a key to all unit owners but prohibiting them from giving the key to any tenant, If a tenant wants a key, we'll need to enter into a contract with him, ie give him a deposit for use of a key to bin shed. It just seems to be so awkward and all done with only 2 hours of notice on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yawns wrote: »
    I would think that too normally and I apologize for drip feeding it like this as I know that can be annoying. I'll quote part of it now that concerns me as a tenant.

"We will not issue keys to tenants without the deposit paid by the tenant and as assurance from both landlord and tenant that the key is only for use for XXX tenants only."

I shouldn't need to engage with this lad at all as far as I know. It seems like he is providing a key to all unit owners but prohibiting them from giving the key to any tenant, If a tenant wants a key, we'll need to enter into a contract with him, ie give him a deposit for use of a key to bin shed. It just seems to be so awkward and all done with only 2 hours of notice on the weekend.

It's up to your landlord to provide you with a key your contract is with him. The key should be provided to the landlord and then to you .

ted1 wrote: »
    It's up to your landlord to provide you with a key your contract is with him. The key should be provided to the landlord and then to you .

Uh huhm, but the agent wants the tenants to pay him directly, then keys will be handed over. This shouldn't be the case at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Uh huhm, but the agent wants the tenants to pay him directly, then keys will be handed over. This shouldn't be the case at all.

The agent works for the landlord. The landlord is the property owner and let's out his own property the agent should not be dealing with you. You have a contract with the landlord to provide you with services (and the planning permission would include waste services.)

Deal with the landlord not the agent.

Finally got in touch with LL and he says he was not informed at all. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ideally they should use chipcards that can simply be revoked if a former occupied decides to steal one so he can keep using the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I can understand why they've gone that way - if the tenant doesn't pay the deposit and have it clearly marked as going with the bin key, then they're more likely to walk off with it at the end of the tenancy.

It's still wrong and awkward and too short notice though. What do you do when the bin collections are being abused though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What will the management do about people leaving who get a key cut, then collect their deposit.

Satriale wrote: »
    What will the management do about people leaving who get a key cut, then collect their deposit.

It's one of those keys that you can't just walk in and have a copy made up. I don't know the name for them. It's a big chunky Abus key.

I agree there's not much else they can probably do if the bins are being abused, however I'm wary of the approach they've taken. Why not do the same thing but with like 2 weeks notice instead of 2 hours?

My LL has not been informed and cannot get in touch with the agent today when he tried. It's frustrating tbh.

I'm a little concerned that in the last 2 months, the number of bins and collections have been reduced and now this type of stunt is being done. For all I know, there could be a lack of funds now. I just don't want to have to deal with the agent at all and if he comes around I'll be letting him know

I just don't want to have to deal with the agent at all and if he comes around I'll be letting him know

There is no reason you should have anything to do with the management agent. His relationship is with the members of the management company, in this case your landlord. As a tenant you have zero entitlement to input to this or any other matters involving the running of the development.

Advertisement