Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of 'White - Irish' on UK schoolchildren forms

• 13-09-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Several friends of mine work in schools in the UK, and have data on each of their studies, including ethnicity and whether the student is EAL.

However, in more than one case, students who were born in Ireland and hold Irish passports are classed as 'White - British' on these sheets. Bear in mind, in one such class, a student who was born in Britain to parents from Eastern Europe is classed as 'Any other White background'.

If 'White - Irish' is good enough for the UK Census Form, including second-generation Irish people, why must Irish-born kids be classed as 'White - British'? If it is because they speak English as a first language, why not make that distinction?

Classify them as 'Any other White background' and put an 'N' next to 'EAL'.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Am at a loss as to what this is doing in the teaching forum, but can't think where else to put it.

Personally, I never answer any questions about 'ethnicity'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Maybe their parents filled it in and ticked white British? Maybe one or both of the parents are British and so ticked the white British box? Maybe it's not so much about ethnicity but the fact that Irish people speak English so when having to give consideration to any differentiation that may be needed for lessons for students, this is not a requirement so they just lump them into the white British category.

You've pointed out yourself that some of the kids fall under EAL which would not be the case for Irish born students. However students from Eastern Europe would more than likely not have English as their first language and possibly have no English, so they get lumped into the White - any other country category.

Not sure why you have a major issue with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

As far as I'm aware that information is provided by the parents in most cases. On student data in the school I work at it will say who provided the information.

Advertisement