Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ear Plugs

• 13-09-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭

Deals have ear-plugs, 10 pair for €1.49 for anyone that uses them. They are the rounded foam ones like below. Haven't tried them yet but seem very much like any others I've used.

$T2eC16hHJGIE9nnWsyHeBRKIR-F4Kg~~60_57.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Prefer the diy moulded type.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

I haven't used those ones, but I have been using the "Howard Leight Laser Lite" ear plugs for over two years now, no complains.

41gepx0B1FL.jpg

link

If you are ever near Dundrum, I have loads of these here and you are more than welcome to take a few pairs and see if you like them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been meaning to get some myself actually. Had a look on Amazon and there are loads: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=earplugs

Are they all much the same or what are the good ones? What's the best deal? Some on ebay too:http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Howard+Leight+laser&_sop=15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I buy these ones, and are apparently pretty well rated as regards ear protection. Its what the SNR rating means.

I've been using them for a good while now and find them excellent. I bought that 200 pairs box in Nov '12 and still have loads left. I find i usually get about 4-5 days use out of a pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I've never worn earplug when on the bike. I don't really see the need tbh :confused:

Are you guys just getting a load of wind noise all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

goodlad wrote: »
    I've never worn earplug when on the bike. I don't really see the need tbh :confused:

Are you guys just getting a load of wind noise all the time?

From my experience the need depends on the bike and helmet.

My daily commute I don't find the need on my Diversion. However I had a replacement bike for a while which was unfaired and the wind noise was much higher.

I also wear them when touring.

I like hearing my exhausts roar when i open up the throttle. I think ear plugs would do my head in.

Although if i was out on a tour for a few days i think my exhausts would piss of the person behind me so they might need ear plugs :P

Ear plugs are for wind noise really. For your reading pleasure!

http://www.isvr.co.uk/at_work/m_cycle.htm
    http://www.bikebandit.com/community/articles/motorcycle-ear-plugs
    If you ride a motorcycle and your hearing sounds muffled afterwards, or if your ears ring, then you are suffering temporary hearing damage, which, if repeated regularly, may become permanent hearing damage. We recommend you consider wearing earplugs under the helmet. Because the earplugs reduce the noise, you may seem to be travelling more slowly, so take extra care to check your speed until you get used to the earplugs.

And if you have been riding for a while and you are certain that wind noise is definitely not hassling you... may be, just may be your hearing has already been damaged..!! :D

And reading this excellent page on webBikeWorld.com

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

I see there is a "Lucy Dell Earplug test pack" that you can source from UK, and webBikeWorld has even gone to the pain of comparing each pair. This crowd never stops to amaze me.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/earplugs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I listen to music through earphones, even though i've read i'm just masking the wind noise and probably still doing the same damage to the hearing. The only way to prevent the damage is ear plugs but it hasn't made me cop on just yet.

• Advertisement

Interesting reading on those links. Its kinda making me think i should wear ear plugs. But in my mind i cant see how its safe drowning out noise around me.

Sure the new lid is supposedly extremely quiet. Will see if there is any need for ear plugs.

I used to use standard in-ear headphones to listen to radio / podcasts on my commutes, but within the first year or so I had some tinnitus-like issues. That annoying ringing in the ears, and in my case it was probably a trigger to bring back a past tinnitus-like thing I had for a while (sound of tropical forest crickets... they are really really loud and everywhere where I grew up.).

I upgraded my helmet (Schuerth SR1, not the quietest but was an improvement over my Nitro), and have been wearing those Howard Leights earplugs every time I ride. I haven't had tinnitus-ish ringing in the ear in last year or so... fingers crossed it stays that way. I still have trouble differentiating / following someone talking in a noisy environment, like a pub for example, unless they enunciate very well. That hasn't improved at all - looks like permanent damage done there.

goodlad, my experience is that wearing ear plug does not shut out all noises at all. I can still hear and understand if someone talks to me, I can hear cars and other bikes near me etc - All it does is it removes the really loud buffeting noise that is both distracting and tiring. I find it much easier to focus on the ride when I have ear plugs on, and I get off the bike fresher. Give it a go for a few days, and decide for yourself.

If anyone want to try Howard Leight ones I mentioned above, I still have half a bag here - offer open to all to to take a few and see if you like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I dont wear them for little spin or small commutes but my god did I need them driving across Germany etc.......4-5 hrs riding and even the noise of your brain would make you go mad Ted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

When I first starting wearing ear plugs I couldn't believe the difference it made when riding the bike. As others have said it makes it so much more comfortable and less tiring.

I actually hate not wearing them now, it just becomes habit to wear them after a while same as the auld helmet...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I've never worn them. Same as Goodlad, I like to hear the motor going and hear everything around me.

That said, there's a dealz around the corner and I can afford 1.50 so will give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have never tried ear plugs but I will tomorrow and see what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I wear them every time I'm out on the bike and find them great for reducing the wind noise.
    Got so used to them now that it would be weird not to wear them when I'm out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

I must try them sometime, but I adore the rumble of my aftermarket pipes on my Bonnie.....an added bonus and a delight to the ears ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

my hearing aint fantastic tbh - pretty lax with the earplugs starting out, but wear em all the time now

zero wind protection, and high level cans, which I believe are a particularly bad combination

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Was in Dealz earlier today but couldn't find them in there...maybe its just the Waterford branch or I'm going blind (as well as deaf:rolleyes:). Anyone know what section to find them in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Got them in Newbridge. They are in Black and Yellow packaging. 'Tool Box' is the range name. In their 'tool' section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

hallford have great earplug, bit of a rip off but will save you going deff, the regular 3m ones are pretty much uselss
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories-clothing/gtmoto-motorcycle-earplugs-pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

I got some Alpine MosoSafe earplugs and find them great. I hate the foam types as they're fiddly to put in and don't stay put anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I tried ear plugs yesterday. Yes it did cut down on wind noise but also cut out the sound from the bike. Not a big deal but it was strange pulling away at the lights and not hearing the rev from the engine. Im 50/50 if ill continue to use them at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I had a big post for this but I lost it.

In the interest of my sanity, I'll be brief.

If you're driving at motorway speeds(100kph) for more than 15 minutes you need ear plugs. Doesn't matter about what helmet you wear.

And hearing loss is a gradual thing, very much like losing your sight. Over time you find it hard to hear higher frequencies. This then descends into frequencies we use in normal day to day activities, like not being able to hear birds sing or finding it difficult to hear people when you're tired.

The difference ear plugs make could be the difference between needing a hearing aid at 60 or not needing one at all.

I wear them, I'm 30 with the hearing of a mid 40 year old. Years of building sites, clubs and motorbiking took its toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

To those worried about not hearing their engine and exhaust note anymore, fear not, the earplugs block out windnoise for the most part. Wind noise, I think, sits in a certain range of sound frequency, which the foam ear plugs are good at blocking. A deeper noise such as that from a v-twin or a high screech from when you really pin the throttle on an inline-4 can still be heard.

I'd even go so far as to say you can hear the bike better because wind noise isn't "in the way". I love the noise of the V4 in my VFR and I wear ear plugs 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Notch000 wrote: »
    hallford have great earplug, bit of a rip off but will save you going deff, the regular 3m ones are pretty much uselss
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories-clothing/gtmoto-motorcycle-earplugs-pack

These Halfords ones are actually 3M ones repackaged. They are fantastic though. My daily earplug.

I retuned to biking this year after about 6 years away. I could not believe the wind noise. (Same bike , same helmet)

You can get these plugs cheap here. 200 pairs for €30.00 Would deffo recommend. They have a SNR rating of 39. I have not seen any higher.

http://www.bunzlcss.com/catalogue_1.aspx?id=4:34903&cat=4:545676&op=view

Edit - An ear plug is only as good as you fit it by the way. Most people dont fit them correctly. Sounds stupid but its true.

SNR 39 sounds much better than the Howard Leights SNR 35. I might give these halfords ones a go so. Thanks a million!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If i'm going above 50km/h i use earplugs. Windnoise is annoying and tires me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I do wear some at the moment because my exhaust header is full of holes and it's much too noisy, even at low speed.

When the new one will be delivered and fitted, i'll probably revert to wearing some only when doing longer trips.

Advertisement