Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible graphics card problem.

Options
  • 13-09-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I had't use my pc all week until last night and when I went to boot up Windows 7 it got as far as the splash screen then rebooted. This kept happening. I tried my other install as I dual boot and after the splash screen I kept getting the BSOD. I thought the chances of two installs becoming corrupt are slim but I decided to do a clean install of windows on a different partition. All went well. I installed my GFX card driver (GTX 470) and proceeded to reboot and got the BSOD many many times. Tried three different installs and all have the same outcome, fine until I reboot after installing the driver. Tried all different versions of the drivers and all are the same. The card showed no sign of being on the blink. I've had a Nvidia card go on me before and kept getting artifacts on the screen. So am I right in thinking my card is screwed? Never buying a Nvidia card as this is the second one to go on me in about 6 years, only have this one three years. Does the oven trick still work on newer cards?

I still have my main install on a separate HDD but even selecting safe mode wont allow me to boot. I've tried system recovery too and this doesn't work. I know if I can get it to boot up and uninstall the nvidia drivers I can probably save the install, any ideas how I might be able to get it to boot?

EDIT:Did another clean install but didn't update the gfx driver. Restarted and after the splash screen I got dreaded artifacts. Looks like I'm out of luck on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Try safe mode vga mode.
    this uses a basic windows video driver.
    try resolution at 1024x768

Advertisement