Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding D-MER

Options
  • 13-09-2014 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Ok I never heard of this before yesterday but thought I would share this info:

"D-MER Dysphoric Milk Ejection Reflex is a condition affecting lactating women that is characterized by an abrupt dysphoria, or negative emotions, that occur just before milk release and continuing not more than a few minutes.

Preliminary testing shows that D-MER is treatable if severe and preliminary investigation shows that inappropriate dopamine activity at the time of the milk ejection reflex is the cause of D-MER.

Dysphoria is defined as an unpleasant or uncomfortable mood, such as sadness, depressed mood, anxiety, irritability, or restlessness. Etymologically, it is the opposite of euphoria."

www.d-mer.org

I've just started breastfeeding my second baby (2weeks old) and that old familiar,
    but unpleasant, feeling is back so thought I would investigate this time.
    For me, it's like a fleeting moment of anxiety & unease that I experience when I start feeding. Once it passes I actually quite enjoy feeding. I had this with my first baby and could never put it into words how I felt, I never even mentioned it to anyone as I couldn't explain it. But this website does a good job at helping to understand it.

I'm not looking for advice on this, just thought I would share and interested to know if anyone else experiences this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

emer_b wrote: »
    Ok I never heard of this before yesterday but thought I would share this info:

"D-MER Dysphoric Milk Ejection Reflex is a condition affecting lactating women that is characterized by an abrupt dysphoria, or negative emotions, that occur just before milk release and continuing not more than a few minutes.

Preliminary testing shows that D-MER is treatable if severe and preliminary investigation shows that inappropriate dopamine activity at the time of the milk ejection reflex is the cause of D-MER.

Dysphoria is defined as an unpleasant or uncomfortable mood, such as sadness, depressed mood, anxiety, irritability, or restlessness. Etymologically, it is the opposite of euphoria."

www.d-mer.org

I've just started breastfeeding my second baby (2weeks old) and that old familiar,
    but unpleasant, feeling is back so thought I would investigate this time.
    For me, it's like a fleeting moment of anxiety & unease that I experience when I start feeding. Once it passes I actually quite enjoy feeding. I had this with my first baby and could never put it into words how I felt, I never even mentioned it to anyone as I couldn't explain it. But this website does a good job at helping to understand it.

I'm not looking for advice on this, just thought I would share and interested to know if anyone else experiences this?

Possibly I'm just getting over a dose of thrush my lad will be 3 weeks Tuesday comin.
    I still dread latching him on because of the utter pain full latch that I experienced when I had thrush..

My first child was not a positive experience for the first 14 week's.
    I used to dread feeding her. But it all worked out in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I loved feeding my first little girl... Not that it wasn't tough but I loved it. I fed her until I was 16 weeks pregnant: and by about 20 weeks the thoughts of ever breastfeeding again had me nearly wanting to puke: logically I knew it was insane, but I was really upset over it. I'm not enjoying feeding, at all now. Everytime I latch her on I'm just waiting for it to end. She's 6 months and while I'm not sure if it's a reaction to how much S has been through, (tongue tie, pneumonia, viral infections, bad reflux, 3 hosp stays, more tests coming up etc) I just cannot wait in one sense until she's one. She can feed hourly during the day... The only time I don't mind feeding as such is the last feed before bed. I'm not sure it's d mer, but I certainly have much more negative feelings this time.

In saying all that not feeding was never, and wouldn't be an option for me: I just can't imagine not feeding her. These hormones do strange things!

Advertisement