Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers over 62 exempt from looking for work

• 13-09-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,

Is this an accurate assessment of how job seekers over 62 are now being handled by DSP? Is it effectively an early state pension, providing that you abide by the new relaxed rules?

I have tried to add a URL to reference a Sunday Times article written last October, but boards is not allowing me

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Al

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Arrangements for older jobseekers
    The Department of Social Protection is putting new administrative provisions in place to ease the transition from the labour force into retirement. From 1 January 2014, if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance and are aged 62 or over, the following will apply:

You will no longer be required to engage with the activation process and you will not be subject to penalty rates for non-engagement
    You can voluntarily avail of a range of supports (for example, training or employment support programmes) from the Department of Social Protection
    In addition, most jobseekers aged 62 or over will be placed on a yearly signing arrangement with their local social welfare office (this means that they do not need to sign on regularly) and most will be transferred to Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) payments so payment can be made directly into their bank account. Certain categories of older jobseekers may be required to engage more frequently with their local social welfare office. For example, casual jobseekers of 62 and older must continue to submit weekly dockets of their work patterns.

Note that to qualify for either Jobseeker’s Benefit or Allowance you must be genuinely seeking work and be available for full-time employment and these conditions will continue to apply to older jobseekers.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/older_and_retired_people/early_retirement.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Interesting. My wife is 63 and I am 61, does that mean she will retire early? Can I not claim for her on the dole? Does she now go seperate? its getting confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

No Enfield, this has nothing to do with retirement. Your wife can continue to work up to her retirement date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Thank you MouseTail, efficent and courteous.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

so retirement age of sorts is 62?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

chrysagon wrote: »
    so retirement age of sorts is 62?

No it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Alan2013

Apologies if I have caused any confusion regarding this question. My query is that given the new relaxed rules relating to the 'activation process' regarding over 62s claiming job seekers payments, is this effectively a early pension providing that they sign on once a year and continue to look for work

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

I doubt it,you may be asked to produce evidence of job hunting,when your stamps run out you will have to be means tested for JSA,ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

mp22 wrote: »
    I doubt it,you may be asked to produce evidence of job hunting,when your stamps run out you will have to be means tested for JSA,ect

Yes, you go through the same process and you are not exempt from jobseeking. It is simply a pragmatic measure so that those who find themselves out of work aged 62+ wont be put under pressure to up or reskill or to join activation schemes such as TUS or Gateway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I noticed a change when I became 60 in July. I now only have to sign on twice a year and have not been called into DSP office or sent to any job interviews since February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 g mc cooey

Hi their I have worked 41years on a co council Ipaid classA prsi coordinated supplementary pension. I am 61years old retired now 1month and on jobseekers how long will I get b 4 iam knocked of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You get 9 months on JB and move to JA which is means tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Wow this is some old thread😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭hawthorne

LOL!

Indeed!

Looking at the dates and ages of posters involved practically everybody here from 2014 is on the pension now!

Advertisement