Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Reconnecting Fan to MB

Options
  • 13-09-2014 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I had a YLOD on the PS3 last years decided to open it up and realised that the friend of a friend who had a look at it originally had broke off the connect to the motherboard, then clipped it to now I only have the raw wires loose. I was thinking of soldering it on but after trying I just can seem to get it to stick.

I plugged it in and I seem to have fixed the YLOD but it shuts down after a few seconds as the fan wont work.

I also tried wiring it up to a USB and plugging that in to the PS3 but it just doesnt seem to be powerful as the ps3 shuts down again due to overheating. The termal compound has been replaced too.

I have called around to see if any places that repair the PS3 could solder it back on but they want to charge me the full price that is a fixed price (150-200 ex parts) I explained I can strip the ps3 and just bring the motherboard and wire so they can just solder it but they still want to charge the opening fee and all these silly charges.

Cant find anywhere else nearby that would solder it.
    Its a Playstation 40gb PHAT first edition

Because I am a new member I cant post links :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pretty Pink

I am in Tipperary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Best thing you can do now is to connect fan to external PSU and see if PS3 will stay on.
    Let me know what mobo version or CECH so maybe we can find alternative points for fan ;)

Do you think I should find a PSU with a high voltage? like a 12 or higher to run fan at a higher speed?

12V. If fan will be running high speed and PS3 will still show YLOD it mean it's 99% BGA component failure.

I have done the heating up of the board and after that the ps3 turned on and loaded up, which it didn't earlier.

I am doing this more out of curiosity than anything, I like to see how these things work out.

I will have a lool around later and see if I have find a 12v around the place :)

• Advertisement

So now we know it's on 100% BGA problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agreed RIP PS3

Advertisement