Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Petrol - Where do you get yours?

• 13-09-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Just wondering where the lads and lasses on here go to fuel up and if ye notice any difference between garages?

Personally, I would have always went to Maxol for mine, however after a bit of an incident the last time I was there, (and only time I have been there since they did the big overhaul on the place) I have since changed to Topaz for reasons I will explain below.

***WARNING - Bit of a rant below***

Slightly off the point here but basically what happened was that I was fueling up sitting a top the bike as I always have done when the girl comes out to tell me I have to get off the bike when putting petrol in to it. A bit surprised by it, I got off it as she requested, and filled it as much as I could but unable to brim it due to the bike not being upright. After going in to pay for the petrol she went on to explain that "I was not allowed to sit on the bike when filling it with petrol in case I spilled some on myself, in which case they would have to keep me there for a few hours..." A bit ironic I thought to myself as I would have been more likely to spill petrol on myself putting the bike on the side stand with the petrol tank cap open/filling it standing beside it. Never had an issue with them before regarding this, perhaps it has gone under new management/policies since it re-opened. Anyway as a result of this I have since changed to Topaz as it kinda put me off them. I am curious to know if this or something similar has happened to others?

***End of Rant***

Sorry for going a bit off the topic with the thread, I didn't intend for it to turn into a rant but it just came into my head as I was creating the thread. So back to the primary question: where do others go to get theirs? (Petrol that is...:pac:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

I used to always fill up at a local independent place (which has since rebranded as Top) but a few months back the engine started loosing power while accelerating away. Anyway, I cleaned filters, changed plugs etc as a precaution although they didn't look bad but I then thought maybe it was 'dodgy' fuel.
    Started using Topaz and unless I run short that's all I use. Find there's better range too and some of them have the credit/debit card pumps which means you don't need to go into the shop and remove the helmet which I find handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've no idea if it's cheap or not, but I usually go to the place on the naas road beside the red cow junction with the mcdonalds attached, or the topaz in Finglas. Purely because they're handy for me. I don't really care about the cost, convenience of location is the most important factor for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Only use Topaz, except the odd time that I am very low

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is dangerous to fuel up a bike when you're sitting on it, if you do have a spill there's a chance it'll ignite on the hot engine and if it's spilled on your clothing as well you'll be a fireball.

Much safer to be standing alongside the bike where it's much less likely to spill onto you and you can just step away if anything goes wrong.

If you really need to fill it up to the brim then you can use the centre stand if you have one, or lift it upright off the sidestand to get the last bit in, but there's not much point really as Ireland is a small enough island and fuel stations are plentiful enough, it's not the Outback.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah I always use either Topaz or Texaco, and I never sit on the bike filling up. I usually have the flip up on when doing so but I never take the lid off when paying....if I was asked I would refuse too. If they dont want the money I would leave it on the counter and or not get petrol and never go there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

It is dangerous to fuel up a bike when you're sitting on it, if you do have a spill there's a chance it'll ignite on the hot engine and if it's spilled on your clothing as well you'll be a fireball.

Much safer to be standing alongside the bike where it's much less likely to spill onto you and you can just step away if anything goes wrong.

If you really need to fill it up to the brim then you can use the centre stand if you have one, or lift it upright off the sidestand to get the last bit in, but there's not much point really as Ireland is a small enough island and fuel stations are plentiful enough, it's not the Outback.

It's expensive enough as it is, no fear of it spilling over. I've always filled it this way and never had an issue, beside my bike doesn't have a centre stand.
    I often wonder how we survived without all this health and safety bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I think it's EU elfin safety now not just that garage you went to.
    There's the unlikely fire thing, or your boots could slip on diesel and the bike could fall on top of you.
    One I read somewhere though was some guy spilled petrol in his lap and got a really nasty rash from it. :eek:
    Convinced me...

I fill up anywhere apart from the little independent stations because I'm a snob and Topaz aren't getting a penny from me because Biffo is on the Board of Directors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

DubVelo wrote: »
    because Biffo is on the Board of Directors.

They will never get a cent from me either now....did not know this!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've a maxol and topaz within a mile of my house so either one, though usually the topaz because they don't charge 2 euro for air.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I was told to take my helmet off at an AppleGreen before they would activate the pump. I now try and stick to the self service pumps at the likes of Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was told to take my helmet off at an AppleGreen before they would activate the pump. I now try and stick to the self service pumps at the likes of Tesco.

I had that there once, they told me to take off my helmet and then when they saw my face told me to put it back on :(

Anyone ever get stung with a pre pay pump? Went to one a while ago, had to go in to the shop and pre pay for the petrol. Gave €50 cos I was empty (in the car). Annoying, cos you obviously don't know how much it will cost to fill up. Assumed the thing would cut off at €50. But no, it went up to about €63. Very bloody annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Topaz ~ you guys have more money than sense lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Got bad fuel in Topaz Lucan while on my bike a little while back. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Emailed them to let them know. Nice email. Not looking for anything. Got a snotty reply basically telling me to F off.

Got rid of the fuel card for topaz later that day. Big company card user. Topaz can go and suck a lemon.

Topaz ~ you guys have more money than sense lol.

My tank capacity is 12 liters. Hardly worth driving to a cheaper garage to get it for 1 or 2 cent cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Cienciano wrote: »
    My tank capacity is 12 liters. Hardly worth driving to a cheaper garage to get it for 1 or 2 cent cheaper.

Even in a car with a 60 litre tank it's not worth it for the sake of a euro on a fill of petrol or diesel. I don't understand the penny-pinching there.

Yep, 18 litre tank here.
    It matters more whether I BRAAAPPP or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Generally fill up in topaz cause i pass two on the way to to work....
    maybe I am just lucky but I've yet to get bad fuel in four years from every name brand station and a lot of manky looking stations in Europe this summer too. (maybe my sh*t bikes like a bit of rough)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I get mine in Topaz in Arklow only, as that the only place that will allow me to fill up without taking the helmet and gloves off. I understand its safety blah blah blah but I filled at other garages everyday and they still did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭positron

Tesco. There's one right next to where I park, and more importantly, I can pay at the pump rather having going into the shop.

Going into the shop is such a hassle - park up the bike, remove helmet, ear plugs, remove the tank bag with work laptop in it bring it with you, and now your hands are full and you some how have to fish out the credit card to pay at the till.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The petrol station about 2 minutes from my house or the petrol station about 2 minutes from my job. Convenience is the top of my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I generally stick to two:

Topaz - Guards use it, c'mon, who sells dodgy petrol to guards that use the same garage everyday, dad's company use it, never had any problems.

Tesco - Can be cheap, never had a problem with it either.

I tend to stay away from local garages, have heard some lovely stories from mechanics, id rather pay an extra few quid instead of mauling my engine later on down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

used to get ****e mileage from tesco petrol, ditto with applegreen (-10-15%)

so going topaz at the moment

always fill up when sitting on the bike too

Topaz - Guards use it, c'mon, who sells dodgy petrol to guards that use the same garage everyday

The Guards use it... Biffo is on the Board of Directors...

Hmm...

€20m public sector procurement contract announced last May.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0502/614868-topaz-ogp-deal/

Biffo appointed non-exec director last May.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0502/614943-topaz-energy-board/

Wow... I'm stumped. Just can't seem to join up the dots on this one. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Wossack wrote: »
    used to get ****e mileage from tesco petrol

Same here, not with the bike however as I would avoid using Tesco petrol for the bike unless I was really stuck. But I have noticed terrible mileage from the diesel all right when used in the cage compared to the likes of Topaz/Maxol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

DubVelo wrote: »
    The Guards use it... Biffo is on the Board of Directors...

Hmm...

€20m public sector procurement contract announced last May.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0502/614868-topaz-ogp-deal/

Biffo appointed non-exec director last May.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0502/614943-topaz-energy-board/

Wow... I'm stumped. Just can't seem to join up the dots on this one. :rolleyes:

Right so, I retract what I say, forget I ever said that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads, Topaz supply Tescos with their petrol and diesel lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FarmersSon

When filling up do you guys use ordinary unleaded 95 RON or super unleaded 98 RON?

I try and to use the 98 RON if it is available where i'm filling up. Haven't a clue if it make any difference though. :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Either Topaz or Texaco. I have an in-line filter to fit also which ill do soon.

Advertisement