Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Petrol - Where do you get yours?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Lads, Topaz supply Tescos with their petrol and diesel lol.

hmm, maybe Im hoiking tesco into the same camp as applegreen, as I def got less mileage from their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

FarmersSon wrote: »
    When filling up do you guys use ordinary unleaded 95 RON or super unleaded 98 RON?

I try and to use the 98 RON if it is available where i'm filling up. Haven't a clue if it make any difference though. :-/

Standard. My yoke was built to run on standard and is too basic to gain any advantage from super.
    Unless the manufacturer specifically recommends the high octane stuff for your machine then use standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alfaromeo84

The reason you are asked to get off the bike when filling is simple, yes you could spill a drop and ignite it on the engine or exhaust, so the first thing you do is just off, letting the bike fall over with petrol streaming from the tank, creating a fireball. Its now common in the UK than if you do not get off, they will stop the pump from the counter from working.

My father is in the motor-trade, he showed me diesel they they drained from a van, which was almost black one day, he then drained a bit from the worshop van which was Topaz, clear almost like water, they have a Topaz account. Now I know thats diesel, but I think surely the petrol must be good too, but who knows really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 greatdepression

Hi

just going to respond to a few things ive seen here hope it helps someone.

Yes Topaz supply Tesco but Tesco fuel doesn't have the "additive" in the petrol that topaz use in there own stations. This apparently helps keep engines cleaner and helps increase mileage. The AA test and certify this by taking samples from the pumps. this additive supposedly gives the petrol a higher octane rating so it's more 98 than 95. (they use this to justify the few cent extra they charge)

The idea around removing your helmet is to make sure the CCTV gets a good look at you as a petrol station wouldn't release the pump for someone wearing a Hoodie or some other item covering their face.

As for sitting on the bike while filling, this must vary between different stations as i have never heard of someone being asked to get off their bike before and ive been in the business a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,379 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is NO benefit in having an octane rating higher than what your engine was designed for. The 'special woo woo additive' that no-one has ever proven a benefit from is one of the oldest tricks in the book, too.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement