Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Needs Apply

Options
  • 13-09-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I wanted to buy a small plot of land back in 2007 and do a self build. I was put off by all the "local needs apply". I would like to buy a small plot in the future, maybe in Kildare, or Meath (nothing seems to be suitable on the north outskirts of Dublin and usually it's all local needs apply). I am only looking for an acre, but would look for more if I was moving further from Dublin.

I am not yet sure when I want to build. It would be a 4/5 bed dormer style bungalow more than likely with an attached garage suitable for 2/3 cars, more so for space to service and restore cars.

I am looking for opinions and advice. I may buy the land in the next year, or two. How would I get around local needs? Seems really unfair that you can't move to an area you might love and build your own place there unless you're from the area, work there, or have close family ties there.

I heard that if you buy a plot with PP, all you have to do is lay the foundation and the PP won't expire. Is this true? Doesn't sound like it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

goz83 wrote: »
    the PP won't expire. Is this true? Doesn't sound like it is.
    Pretty sure it's false. Think it's only extended, but not 100%

As for the "locals only", it's usually to stop people from building holiday homes that they only visit rarely. Money, however, should still talk, so prepare to pay an extra % to get the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

goz83 wrote: »
    I am looking for opinions and advice. I may buy the land in the next year, or two. How would I get around local needs?
    Read the actual local needs clause in the relevant development plans. You could of course buy a zoned site at the edge of a town / village.
    I heard that if you buy a plot with PP, all you have to do is lay the foundation and the PP won't expire. Is this true? Doesn't sound like it is.
    No. PP normally specifies that hte property be substantially complete within 5 years. At which time the PP expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

the_syco wrote: »
    As for the "locals only", it's usually to stop people from building holiday homes that they only visit rarely.

Ehhh hello ever heard of Wicklow ?
    I sometimes think Wicklow Co Co are determined to avoid diluting the gene pool at all costs.
    Even locals sometimes can't get planning because are not farming etc like the 10 generations of their family that grew up there.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement