Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best plant for covering a wire fence?

• 13-09-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What's the best plant for covering a wire fence? Ivy? I'd like one that grows fast and spreads sideways (and preferably has flowers but that's just a bonus).

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Worztron are you doing a blitz on your garden???

I have an evergreen honeysuckle scrambling over a wire fence at the bottom of my garden. The scent is devine in the evening.
    You could plant clematis or climbing roses but you'd just have the bare stems in winter. I'm not sure ivy would be great on wire, it needs to cling in order to climb.

Whatever plant you choose you'll have to tie it in loosely to the wire to encourage it to go up and over.

Passionflower is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Worztron are you doing a blitz on your garden???

I have an evergreen honeysuckle scrambling over a wire fence at the bottom of my garden. The scent is devine in the evening.
    You could plant clematis or climbing roses but you'd just have the bare stems in winter. I'm not sure ivy would be great on wire, it needs to cling in order to climb.

Whatever plant you choose you'll have to tie it in loosely to the wire to encourage it to go up and over.

Passionflower is another option.

Hi Wyldwood.

I'm doing some catching up. :)

So ivy is really better suited for covering walls only?

I think I'll opt for the Clematis.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The best is also the worst: Polygonum Russian Ivy, commonly known as 'mile a minute' (the clue is in the name. Deciduous, invasive but has plenty of small white flowers.

I guess an evergreen would be best (with flowers if possible) - and fast growing of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Evergreen?

• Advertisement

Evergreen?

That is, keep it's leaves. I think I have a Clematis on a part of my fence and it looks very bare now. In the spring it had pink flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Ivy is the plant of the devil imo��. Have the elderly neighbours stuff invading my garden from all directions, spent half today trying to trim it back. Clemitas, hunnysuckle or any thin stemmed climber that can be trimmed back easily, have lots of both myself. Ivy and leilandi horrible plants!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Jasminoide solanum is a fairly vigorous, evergreen climber that flowers from mid May to December. Will cover any type of fence.

Planted one a couple of years ago and its now travelled 10 to 15 feet either side.

solanum-jasminoides.jpg

http://payload17.cargocollective.com/1/5/190163/2640112/Solanum%20jasminoides%20-Album--%20Ranelagh-%20Dublin%206.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Try Lonicera henryi, its evergreen and flowers.

@Charlie19 That Jasminoide solanum looks like a great choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement