Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Booster, wifi or cable?

Options
  • 13-09-2014 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an office in my attic and my wifi router is two floors down, in the sitting room (UPC). What would be the best way to connect to the wifi from the attic? I saw a wireless booster in Maplins but it was approx €95, so a little steep. Also, I'd rather not pay rental every month to UPC for an extra connection.

What is the best way to use the internet up there? There is no phone line up there, only plug sockets.

Thanks,

Paulsgirl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

paulsgirl wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an office in my attic and my wifi router is two floors down, in the sitting room (UPC). What would be the best way to connect to the wifi from the attic? I saw a wireless booster in Maplins but it was approx €95, so a little steep. Also, I'd rather not pay rental every month to UPC for an extra connection.

What is the best way to use the internet up there? There is no phone line up there, only plug sockets.

Thanks,

Paulsgirl

I have a homeplug setup with an old router extending the wireless range. Got a set of netgear homeplugs on dabs for €30 and plugged 1 into existing router and the other is in the shed. Plenty of guides online too and its reliable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

corsav6 wrote: »
    I have a homeplug setup with an old router extending the wireless range. Got a set of netgear homeplugs on dabs for €30 and plugged 1 into existing router and the other is in the shed. Plenty of guides online too and its reliable.

Home plugs usually work great. I found them troublesome in my current place though. They can be sensitive to other electronics on the same line for example.

5uspect wrote: »
    Home plugs usually work great. I found them troublesome in my current place though. They can be sensitive to other electronics on the same line for example.

I have had no problems yet, but I don't move them around much so they have their own socket.
    I found the wireless extender gave me loads of problems, always needed a reset. I seen on dabs now they have the upgraded model if mine which has wireless built in, just another option as I find wired to be more reliable, in my case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Ok thats great, thanks. I just had a look viewed the home plugs on youtube. But a silly question. With a router, do I just plug it in and connect the home plug and then I'm ready to go or do I need to do anything else with the router?

And will a UPC or Eircom router do as I have a spare one of both?

Also, my router downstairs is now the new Horizon box with UPC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ok thats great, thanks. I just had a look viewed the home plugs on youtube. But a silly question. With a router, do I just plug it in and connect the home plug and then I'm ready to go or do I need to do anything else with the router?

And will a UPC or Eircom router do as I have a spare one of both?

Also, my router downstairs is now the new Horizon box with UPC.

Just plug them in. They're effectively extension cables for Ethernet. You don't need another router. Connect the Horizon box to the first homeplug with an Ethernet cable. Plug the second into the wall upstairs and connect it to your computer with another Ethernet cable.

5uspect wrote: »
    Just plug them in. They're effectively extension cables for Ethernet. You don't need another router. Connect the Horizon box to the first homeplug with an Ethernet cable. Plug the second into the wall upstairs and connect it to your computer with another Ethernet cable.

Exactly as above but if you purchase the homeplug with WiFi and Ethernet then that will also extend your wireless range and avoid the need to use a network cable to connect your computer.
    I haven't had a chance to test the wireless homeplug yet so maybe read a few reviews for different models.

Well the 1st link is the same as mine only a different brand, no WiFi on that so you will need a cable connection in your office.
    2nd link is expensive but has WiFi so would be a better option.
    I suggest you get the model numbers and do some research, check out a few reviews and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I had the same problem (have attic conversion which i use as office) tried plug in jobs but didnt really work. I was using an old wifi router device , changed my WIFI router and it doubled the distance i was receiving signal at, even getting it at back of garden now! Found was most simple solution for me anyway. the Wireless Router plays a BIG part in the distance you can receive your wifi signal afaik. (im not a techie but made huge difference for me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭paulsgirl

Thanks a mil. I got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Wireless G vs Wireless N Comparison

Wireless Range (Radius): 75 ft vs up to 200-450 ft

:cool: thats good ya got sorted!

Advertisement