Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Were Promised Jetpacks - Whelans, Dublin 14 September 2014

Options
  • 13-09-2014 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭

Just bought a ticket for these guys tomorrow night, they seem to have a few decent tunes.

I'm not overly familiar with them, anyone see them play here before?

€15 available online from WAV Tickets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Haven't seen em live or heard the new album but their previous stuff is fantastic, one of the better post-punk revival acts around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Just found out they were playing last week. Great band. I'll see how the funds are tomorrow and hopefully I'll get up to Whelans.

Duff wrote: »
    Just found out they were playing last week. Great band. I'll see how the funds are tomorrow and hopefully I'll get up to Whelans.

Gig's today man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Saruwatari wrote: »
    Gig's today man!

Haha, definitely not going so! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Saw them play in the Olympia last year. They're very good live. Going tonight too and I'm expecting them to be even better in Whelans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Can't remember the stage times now...though of course they'd be no use to you now either.

I found it a bit odd the support act Fatherson wasn't advertised but I thought they were really good.

WWPJ had a great mix of sounds and really gave it their all. The kerfuffle at the 'encore' was highly entertaining, bless 'em.

Many turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Many turn up?

Poor turn out in the end, upstairs was closed off completely and downstairs was about 60% full I'd say.

Thought WWPJ were pretty good but I wasn't blown away, I know they are testing out the new material but they seems to focus was too much on the new stuff. The atmosphere was pretty subdued I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

lc180 wrote: »
    Thought WWPJ were pretty good but I wasn't blown away, I know they are testing out the new material but they seems to focus was too much on the new stuff. The atmosphere was pretty subdued I thought.

Compared to when I saw them supporting Frightened Rabbit at the Olympia last year, I won't lie, I was a wee bit disappoint. I wonder was it because I would prefer their old stuff...

In spite of the subdued crowd (it was Sunday night and I had 0 energy) there was one valiant lady up the front left giving it total socks! (My friends said she reminds them of me at most gigs...:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Compared to when I saw them supporting Frightened Rabbit at the Olympia last year, I won't lie, I was a wee bit disappoint. I wonder was it because I would prefer their old stuff...

In spite of the subdued crowd (it was Sunday night and I had 0 energy) there was one valiant lady up the front left giving it total socks! (My friends said she reminds them of me at most gigs...:D )

Haha I noticed her too, she was giving it socks all night.

Though it was a very good gig, although yeah a lot of new stuff (which was good) and a small enough crowd without much energy.

Kinda relieved I missed it then. Whelans didn't seem like the right place for such an act but if they couldn't even fill the place then maybe it was for the better!
    Hope their labelmates The Twilight Sad come over here, they're doing a lot of live shows at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Hope their labelmates The Twilight Sad come over here, they're doing a lot of live shows at the mo.

I stumbled upon them at a festival during the summer and they were seriously good. I'd love to see a Dublin show. There seems to be a constant flow of quality indie bands coming out of Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I meant to go but was too busy. Their previous gig in Whelan's was similar - very disappointing turn out for a great band.

For some reason they never seem to get much coverage over here.

I made that video in the OP. We shot it in The Jam Factory in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

lc180 wrote: »
    I stumbled upon them at a festival during the summer and they were seriously good. I'd love to see a Dublin show. There seems to be a constant flow of quality indie bands coming out of Scotland

I'm all about the Scottish bands recently. Frabbit and chvrches obviously, then twilight sad, admiral fallow, and wwpj

Advertisement