Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireman Sam birthday cake

Options
  • 13-09-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all
    I am a complete novice at baking but my son has requested a fireman Sam cake for his birthday which I would love to make myself.so I was looking for some advice
    Thanks in advance
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

How novice is novice?! Pinterest will be of great use to you to have a look at the range if different designs and styles of cakes some are very advanced but you'll find some simple ones there too. I think that a fire engine shaped cake may be quite easy to make and perhaps use some of his toy figurines around the cake after that.

http://lacreme.typepad.co.uk/photos/birthday_cakes/fire-engine-birthday-cake.html

If you think that using roll icing may be too difficult you could go the route of baking a simple square/round cake and get an edible image printed off which sits on the iced/buttercreamed/fresh cream cake. If you live near any of the decobake stores you would be able to get the image printed. I think they require a day or so notice. Some local bakery's also offer edible prints.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/334955291008989468/

(Credit to whoever designed the cake/image in the links!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Your son has great taste, I love fireman sam! Secretly hoping my daughter asks for a fireman sam cake for her next birthday too!

You couod make it verey simple, buy the coloured red, blue and yellow fondant/sugarpaste icing, and put it on a cake. I find square or rectangle much easier to get fondant onto than round... But maybe something like this below?

If you were any good with the old mala in school you could have a go at the figure as well, otherwise just use a toy one.

6826259081_5a1233c84a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaalouth

Thanks that looks perfect that's the type of cake I was thinking of.any suggestions where I could buy the sugar paste.i don't think I have square cake tins will have to check. Any advice on the modelling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I get mine in Brennans in Cork city. I think decobake does it online.

For modelling, just don't let anything dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

aaalouth wrote: »
    Thanks that looks perfect that's the type of cake I was thinking of.any suggestions where I could buy the sugar paste.i don't think I have square cake tins will have to check. Any advice on the modelling...

You didn't mention where you are based. I use decobake on Bachelors walk but I can get it in Smiths Arro in Enniscorthy and Joyce's in new Ross. I've also used Allens in Clonmel. Decobake are online and also try bakeworld.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement