Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy training

• 13-09-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi i have a pedigree labrador puppy. She is 15 weeks old what shows can she be entered in before 6 months? Where can i purchase the proper leads etc for her. Does anywhere in galway help train showdogs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You can enter her in baby puppy classes from age 4 months. Puppy is from 6 months.
    Best thing is to go along to a show and talk to other exhibitors about your collars, leads etc. Sometimes there are stands at the shows.
    There are two big shows in October which would be good ones to go to.
    Have a look on dogshowentry.ie for info on the shows with the schedules etc.

I'm not sure of ring craft classes in galway but ill try find out for you.
    If you are on Facebook go to the our dogs Facebook page.

Just checking is the dog in your name and registered with the Ikc yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

She is not in my name yet. I have bought her of a member of the assured breeders club of the English kennel club. She is 12 weeks at minute but cannot travel to ireland until 15 weeks as with dept of agriculture rules she can't travel for 21 days after her rabies injection at 12 weeks. When she comes home I'll be registering her with the irish kennel club. She has 4/5 generation pedigree papers. I will also be registering her microchip in my name. I've been advised to avoid registering with canine ireland so ill EEG with fido and with Ikc.

Ah right. Well you won't be able to show her until she is in your name so once you have the paperwork back from the Ikc you can go ahead and enter shows. But this time of the year the shows are quietening down.
    There are only 2 in October which you won't get to enter in time then there is one on November and one in December.

There is am open show in December which you could enter though and it's great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

Well I'm going to let her settle in for a month or so before entering any shows so I'd say it will be after christmas anyway. But I'd be interested in going to a show to get an idea of what's involved etc. I have never thought about entering a dog show before so a bit all at sea at the minute. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Well after Christmas the first championship one isn't until March. But there are open shows on which are a bit more relaxed and not as serious.

The open shows aren't really advertised same way as the champ ones but you can get a show list booklet from the Ikc with all the info in them on dates etc.

If you need any help though feel free to contact me here and I can help you out as it can be a little bit daunting and a lot to take in when you start out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

andreac wrote: »
    Ah right. Well you won't be able to show her until she is in your name so once you have the paperwork back from the Ikc you can go ahead and enter shows. But this time of the year the shows are quietening down.
    There are only 2 in October which you won't get to enter in time then there is one on November and one in December.

There is am open show in December which you could enter though and it's great fun.

Can you tell me where the shows will be held.

They are being held in the national show centre in swords. Do you know where that is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Yes I do, thanks.

Advertisement