Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paid for sofa

Options
  • 13-09-2014 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

My husband was clearing his sister in laws garage as she was moving and she had given him stuff to sell. He had sold some stuff to someone and that person arranged for a man with a van to pick it up.
    Man with a van picked it up but there was still some furnature in the garage,namely a large corner sofa,man with a van said as he has a warehouse shop that sells 2nd hand furnature that he can bring sofa,sell it,and split the proceeds in half with my hubby.
    We had been watching for the sofa to sell on website since June and on 22nd of August,sofa was marked as sold. My husband then contacted seller and asked for his share of the money.
    Since then seller has made several excuses not to pay and while it is not a massive amount (€100) we would like to get it. Seller has made such excuses as "there was only a deposit paid on it", "it didn't fit in their room"
    My husband was speaking to him last Friday and he said he would pay my husband by PayPal that evening we are still waiting. The warehouse is about an hours drive away
    Now he is ignoring all calls and texts from us. Is their anyway we can get what we are owed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What did you document on paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Then honestly I think you'll be lucky to see any of the money. It's your word against the sellers tbh and they 'could' claim your husband gave them the sofa not looking for any payment. Sorry, but I think you are better off writing it off, putting it down to experience and moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Where did you find the man with a van? Are they a proper business or just one of the many classified ads you can find online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'd park across the front door of he's business and tell every customer going in that this chancer owes you money for an item they sold for you.

I'd say you'll have your money soon enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd park across the front door of he's business and tell every customer going in that this chancer owes you money for an item they sold for you.

I'd say you'll have your money soon enough!

The problem is most of these "Man with a Van" services aren't any way legitimate and wouldn't really be traceable, let alone having an office. Also this is the type of service where the provider goes to the customer and not the customer to the provider.

Chances are whoever this guy is just put an ad up on a website or responded to a quote request on another website to get the initial job, probably using a mobile number which can be discarded at the drop of a hat and replaced with a new one. I've had countless customers ring me up being let down at the last minute waiting for some random "Man with a van" they found online on their moving day. With anonymous set-ups like these, there is no risk of bad press and any future prospect of work being affected by how they treat a customer. It's the same guys who will say they can collect waste and end up tipping it at the side of some country road.

The OP said "he has a warehouse shop that sells 2nd hand furnature" so I'm not sure if this means he just took it to some auction room or if it's his own warehouse, if it's his own warehouse then at least you have a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

We had decking up for sale on a website,someone bought this decking and organised the man with a van to pick it up as it was his friend.
    He has a warehouse in a business park selling all second hand furnature.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

We had decking up for sale on a website,someone bought this decking and organised the man with a van to pick it up as it was his friend.
    He has a warehouse in a business park selling all second hand furnature.

So was he man with the van only collecting it for the guy that bought the decking?

Advertisement