Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildflower ID please

Options
  • 14-09-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Can someone help me to identify this wildflower? There are a few of these plants growing in damp ground, one or two of the plants are growing in a shaded area and a few nearby in full light next to a boggy area.

These are tall herbaceous plants, probably about 3-4 feet tall. The stems are reddish and ridged (but not square).

The flowers are in loose clusters and are pale pink in colour.

This photo was taken about two weeks ago while the plant was in full flower. I have more photos. Not sure if OK to post more here.

WP_20140902_005.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) an invasive, non-native species

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) an invasive, non-native species
    Thanks! That was fast. I think I came across a photo of that while trying to identify the plant, but dismissed it as the specimens I came across had such pale-coloured flowers. They are almost white.

I did wonder too if it was a garden escape, but it's such an unruly-looking plant, that I didn't think anyone would want to cultivate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

yea I can only recall seeing pink flowers before, but apparently they are variable and you can get white and purple too

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

VS is correct.
    They have "exploding" seed heads when they are ripe. See if you can see a very full looking seed head (long thin green tubes that appear as the flowers go over) and rub it very gently between your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

...then pick up all the seeds that exploded out and destroy them!

The good news is the plant can just be pulled up out of the ground by hand...roots are very shallow, even when stalks as thick as your arm.

Had started spreading up a local stream off the Liffey. Took several visits last year to catch all that could be seen. But just a handful of plants needed to be pulled this year. Seeds live about two years so should be easy to keep on top of now. Important thing is to pull them before they go to seed. Otherwise they explode and you spread seeds around you - or or they don't explode and you spread seeds to the disposal site.

Learn the leaf shape now so you can nail them next year. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement