Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Scouts - is is worth my child joining - overburdened parent!

Options
  • 14-09-2014 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hi! My daughter who is 13 has just got into sea scouts - but as there is only me to bring her there - about 12 miles away - due to my work schedule - I'm having to get a minder via taxi to drop her, stay there and then collect her, about e60 on two ,of the four days a month she goes there that's e60 for taxi and minder on those two Tuesdays a month that I have to work late and bring her. When we applied initially I wasn't working late. We waited a long-time for her to get in, but the logistics of getting her there on all four days of the month are stressful expensive. She is also doing swimming, water polo, choir, singing and music. In the summer months and Easter holidays, she does sailing and windsurfing. Is their any advantage in trying to keep her in Sea Scouts - is it so worth it that I should continue to make the huge and expensive effort to get there. Would really welcome other parents opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Better here OP.
    For anyone who has followed this thread please read the local charter before replying.

Thanks
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

But sure what child could possible ever grow up into a healthy happy functional adult unless they do swimming, water polo, choir, singing and music, sailing and windsurfing? Sea Scouts is of course essential to every child's wellbeing!!! What are you thinking, considering not having her do it?!?!?!

/sarcasm.

No, joining Sea Scouts is in no way essential to any child. She'll live without going there every time (a taxi? Seriously? Seriously???)

She'll overcome the emotional trauma in time, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Is there a reason she wants to join sea scouts? Other than another hobby...does she see herself having some sort of water based career where sea scouts would be a great foundation?

If it's a really keen interest she has could she sacrifice one of the other hobbies to take it up?

If its just another interest and nothing more than a hobby...then I would put ky foot down and say no. Its great to see a kid making so much of their time. ..but I think b you're right to want to draw the line on this one.

Its a hard one to call op...good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps there is someone in the Sea Scouts who lives near you and would already be getting a lift? She might make a friend she can stay with for a bit until you're free.

Taxis and minders are a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you have to go to unnecessary expense to get her to an afterschool activity, then stop for now.
    based on the list of things she's involved in, i'd say she's doing enough at present.

it's great that she's into water-based activities, but if it's a 'keeping up with the jonses' type of thing, something will have to go.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If it's putting you under financial pressure to get her there then no, it's not worth it.

You could always take her out but keep her name on their list for next year if things settle down. The sea scouts go up to 18, I think (?) so that gives you 4 years to organise yourself. They nearly always have waiting lists, so I'm sure they would let you give up her place this year with the promise of offering her a place next year.

€60 for any activity is excessive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, why not ask in the Scouting forum on Boards?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=617

• Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does she really need a child minder to go there. When I was 13 in the early 2000's I/my used be aloud go places on buses/trains by ourselves and nothing never ends to us. I was actually in the scout and anybody showing up with a child minder to these events would have being laughed at by member/leaders. When I was in the scouts we used be left off by ourselves for hours with hardly any adult supervision.
    If you do need the childminder /etc I wouldn't bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Scouts isn't about future career or even just sailing. The various skills learned in scouts stay with you forever - teamwork, social skills, outdoor skills, etc. That said this seems to be a bit of an extravagance financially especially with all her other activities.

As spurious said there may be another family nearby that you could carpool with - each of you taking them every second Tuesday. As the section leader in scouts.

Big Bag of Chips: fyi - scouts goes up to 26 now. Beavers 6-8, Cubs 9-11, Scouts 12-14/15, Ventures 15-17, Rovers 18-26.

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Orion wrote: »
    Big Bag of Chips: fyi - scouts goes up to 26 now. Beavers 6-8, Cubs 9-11, Scouts 12-14/15, Ventures 15-17, Rovers 18-26.

Ah, I knew there were different sections, I thought the scouts itself the group that she is in went to 18. Although thinking about it, 13 year olds in the same group as 17 year olds, doesn't make sense!

Either try find a lift for her, or take her out, but ask that her name be kept for next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement